Shared Words, Phrases and Styles of Zodiac and Kaczynski

Topics of a nonspecific nature.

Shared Words, Phrases and Styles of Zodiac and Kaczynski

Postby akwilks on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:22 am

More word, phrase and style comps of Zodiac and Kaczynski.

Z = Zodiac K = Kaczynski/Unabomber

By AK Wilks

Z = The police shall never catch me, because I have been too clever for them. Seven-Page letter, 1969.

K = Clearly we are in a position to do a great deal of damage. And it doesn't appear that the FBI is going to catch us any time soon. New York Times letter, 1995.

Z = 2 cops pulled a goof. Seven-Page letter, 1969.

K = The FBI is a joke. New York Times letter, 1995.

By Doug Oswell

Z = As of yet I have left no fingerprints behind me contrary to what the police say. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = Contrary to what the FBI has suggested, our bombing at the California Forestry Association was in no way inspired by the Oklahoma City bombing. New York Times Letter, 1995.
Last edited by akwilks on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
akwilks

Re: Shared Words, Phrases and Styles of Zodiac and Kaczynski

Postby akwilks on Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:25 am

The excellent full list is by Doug Oswell and is here:

http://www.unazod.com/style.html
akwilks

Postby linda on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:38 am

To me this list is a wonderful exhibit of remarkable parallels between the Zodiac and Unabomber, comparing "known" writings of both. And there's not just one or two samples; there are multiple instances in which both use powerfully similar and/or unusual phrases, punctuation, words or markings. This is exactly how authorities broke down the Manifesto and compared it with "known" samples of Kaczynski when working on the Unabomber case.

I would love to be able to see other known samples of TK's writings (letters to his family, other documents he's written).
linda

Postby KITE on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:58 pm

Zodiac almost used the two words "Complete Control" in the 12/20/69 letter. "Complete Control" is in the Manifesto, at least twice. Sections 157 and 163. (approaching complete control over human behavoir) and (complete control over everything on Earth). Zodiac wrote: (I will loose (complet) all control of myself and set the bomb up). It's very interestingly constructed sentence in my opinion. Is it a word game, I wonder? Is it supposed to be LOOSE? or LOSE, and then changed to LOOSE? LOOSE as a verb means "to set free". Or the variation, LOOSEN. For example, to LOOSEN the leash. A-HA, now look at the sentence again! (I will LOOSE all control of myself). Is that cryptic perhaps? Let's attach a Manifesto mindset to Zodiac and that Zodiac sentence, in a manner of speaking. (I will loose all control of myself and set the bomb up) Is he really crypticly saying? (I will loose all the control exerted over myself(me) by society and set the bomb up) In his warped mind, Zodiac may have believed bomb threats were a form of revolt against a menacing looming control of the individual by society. At the very least, I would suggest a pun of altering LOSE to LOOSE(to set free) and then placing it before COMPLETE CONTROL(If it is supposed to be LOSE). I might also suggest that if not an intentional cryptic, then perhaps subconscious-influenced? I might be that Zodiac was intentionally crypticly conveying his mindset. It's possible he was afraid to be too direct about it. Afterall, for example in another case, the arrest of the Unabomber after the Manifesto. Notice the misspell CONTROOL with the same double OO. That's perhaps suspicious, why double that O?, unless perhaps you're trying to mask the LOSE to LOOSE. Also, keep in mind the LOSE LEASH close-out verticals in the 340 cipher.
KITE

Postby akwilks on Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:55 pm

To me, when you look at the comparison done between the writings of Ted Kaczynski and the Unabomber, which cracked that case, the comparisons and analysis by Doug Oswell between the writings of Kaczynski and the Zodiac are even stronger. I don't understand why this area doesn't get more attention from the larger Zodiac research world. I think some people are devoted to perpetuating (and profiting from) the case rather than solving the mystery.

As Doug Oswell has shown, Ted Kaczynski and the Zodiac used many of the exact same words and phrases, and a few new ones found by me are also included here:

A COMPARISON OF SHARED WORD USAGE, PHRASES AND STYLES BY THE ZODIAC AND KACZYNSKI (MOSTLY BY DOUG OSWELL AND A FEW BY AK WILKS)

Z = Zodiac K = Kaczynski/Unabomber

Z = It is more fun than killing wild game in the forrest because man is the most dangerou[s] anamal of all. To kill something gives me the most thrilling experence. Three-Part Cipher, 1969.

K = I drove up to Humboldt county for deer hunting.... deer hunting is very exciting. Turchie Affidavit, Addendum, 1996.

Z = The S.F. Police could have caught me last night if they had searched the park properly instead of holding road races with their motor cicles seeing who could make the most noise. The car drivers should have just parked their cars & sat there quietly waiting for me to come out of cover. Stine Letter, 1969.

K = For example, a variety of noise-making devices: power mowers, radios, motorcycles, etc. If the use of these devices is unrestricted, people who want peace and quiet are frustrated by the noise. Manifesto, 1995.

When I see a motorcyclist tearing up the mountain meadows ... I want to kick him in the face while he is dying. GX-2003F, p. 11.

Z = This letter should be published for all to read it. Typewritten Letter, 1966.

K = We encourage you to print this letter. New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = I shall (on top of every thing else) torture all 13 of my slaves that I have wateing for me in Paradice.The Mikado Letter, 1970.

K = I hadn't previously been troubled by rats around here, but I just discovered that my pack has been chewed up so badly that it is nearly ruined ... This means some deadfalls are going to be set. I hope I catch one of those [expletive] alive--I will torture it to death in the most fiendish manner I can devise. Journal entry, July 31, 1974.

Z = I hope you enjoy your selves when I have my Blast. Jolly Roger Card.

K = For these reasons, I want to get my revenge in one big blast. GX18-2003F, p. 11.

Z = At the moment the children are safe from the bomb because it is so massive to dig in & the triger mech requires much work to get it adjusted just right. Belli Letter, 1969.

K = Its no fun having to spend all your evenings and weekends preparing dangerous mixtures, filing trigger mechanisms out of scraps of metal .... New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = I gave the cops som bussy work to do to keep them happy. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = This seems to us a thoroughly contemptible way for the human race to end up, and we doubt that many people would find fulfilling lives in such pointless busy-work. Unabomber Manifesto, 1995.

Z = This is the murderer of the 2 teenagers last Christmass at Lake Herman & the girl on the 4th of July near the golf course in Vallejo. To prove I killed them I shall state some facts which only I & the police know. Three-Part Cipher, 1969.

K = To prove that we are the ones who planted the bomb at U. Of Cal. last May we will mention a few details that could be known only to us and the FBI who investigated the incident. S.F. Examiner Letter, 1985.

Z = The police shall never catch me, because I have been too clever for them. Seven-Page letter, 1969.

K = And it doesn't appear that the FBI is going to catch us any time soon. New York Times letter, 1995.

Z = 2 cops pulled a goof. Seven-Page letter, 1969.

K = The FBI is a joke. New York Times letter, 1995.

Z = As of yet I have left no fingerprints behind me contrary to what the police say. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = Contrary to what the FBI has suggested, our bombing at the California Forestry Association was in no way inspired by the Oklahoma City bombing. New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = This is the murderer of the 2 teenagers last Christmass ... July 31, 1969 Letter (Chronicle).
This is the Zodiac speaking. Numerous correspondences, 1969 through 1971.

K = This is a message from the terrorist group FC. New York Times Letter, April 24, 1995.
This is a message from FC. Tom Tyler Letter, June 30, 1995.

Z = I promised to punish them if they did not comply, by anilating a full School Buss. But now school is out for the summer, so I punished them in another way. Mt. Diablo Letter, 1970.

K = The people who are pushing all this growth and progress garbage deserve to be severely punished. New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = By the way it could be rather messy if you try to bluff me. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = A special case of Theorem (b) was proved (in effect) in [6, proof of Theorem 6] by means of a rather messy lemma. T.J. Kaczynski. Boundary Functions and Sets of Curvilinear Convergence for Continuous Functions. Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 141 (Jul., 1969), 107-125, p. 124.

Z = [Called violent movie]"deplorable".

K = [Called bombing in OKC]"deplorable".
akwilks

Postby KITE on Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:10 am

Here's an interesting comparison between a Unabomber letter(4/24/95) and a Zodiac letter(11/9/69, 7 pages).
Zodiac: (I shall NO LONGER ANNOUNCE to anyone when I comitt my murders)
FC: Why do we ANNOUNCE our goals only now...
FC: Since we NO LONGER have to confine the explosive...

Zodiac: the system checks out from one end to the other in my TESTS.
Zodiac:I think you do not have the man power to stop this one by continually SEARCHING THE road sides looking FOR this thing.
Zodiac: Have FUN!! By the way, it could be rather messy if you try to bluff me.
FC: It's no FUN having to spend all your evenings and weekends preparing dangerous mixtures, filing trigger mechanisms out of scraps of metal or SEARCHING THE Sierras FOR a place isolated enough to TEST a bomb. So we offer a bargain.

Zodiac: BE SURE TO PRINT the part I marked out on page 3 or I shall do my thing.
FC: BE SURE TO tell us where and how our material will be published and how long it will take to appear in PRINT once we have sent in the manuscript.
KITE

Postby KITE on Tue May 22, 2012 11:37 am

I don't know if this has been brought up before or not but Kaczynski wrote, concerning the price of a Christmas card:
(I bet it doesn't cost them a nickel to print the damn thing.)
Zodiac wrote:
(When I hung the phone up the dam thing began to ring and that drew his attention to me and my car.)
KITE

Postby KITE on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Looking at the possibly Zodiac Badlands letter, May 8, 1974. A section of it reads:
In light of recent events, this kind of murder-glorification can only be deplorable at best (not that glorification of violence was ever JUSTIFIABLE).
I emphasized JUSTIFIABLE there to show a similarity to Kaczynski.
From (57) in the Unabomber Manifesto: The difference, we argue, is that modern man has the sense(largely JUSTIFIED) that change is imposed on him, whereas the 19th century frontiersman had the sense(also largely JUSTIFIED), that he created change himself, by his own choice.
So, I think you can see what I'm pointing out there, that two mass murderers used JUSTIFIED/JUSTIFIABLE in parenthesis' as a sort of exclamatory running subtext. That whole section is an amazing Zodiac to Kaczynski writing style comparison, in my opinion. In addition to the JUSTIFIED in parenthesis' comparison, look at:
Possibly ZODIAC: In light of recent EVENTS, THIS KIND OF murder-glorification can only be DEPLORABLE at best.
KACZYNSKI: We strongly DEPLORE THE KIND OF indiscriminate slaughter that occurred in the Oklahoma City EVENT.-Manifesto 137

Also, although I've emphasized with capitalized words to point out comparisons, the word that Zodiac actually emphasized was EVER, he emphasized it by underlining the word:
Zodiac: (not that glorification of violence was EVER justifiable)
KACZYNSKI:...make it seem doubtful that rational, long-term social planning can EVER be successful.

So, Zodiac emphasized EVER by underlining it, while Kaczynski emphasized it with large letters.
KITE

Postby akwilks on Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:22 pm

This is Ted writing about girls and sex. Doug already noted the Wagner section of this writing and how that confirms early work he did on the case. See http://www.unazod.com/odds.shtml . I have to agree with Doug Oswell, to the extent this writing is genuine, it somewhat weakens any case for Ted as a suspect in the EAR/ONS case. It does show a sexual obsession, but manifesting as a dedication to celibacy, with the sexual tension coming out as violent acts against those he was envious of - first college kids making out in lovers lanes, later professors. But think about Zodiac, and WHY he attacked couples in spots known for love making. Think about the possible envy and hatred Zodiac felt towards love making couples. This writing from Ted IMO fits perfectly with the psychology of Zodiac. If anyone has good eyes and wants to help, I would love to see a transcription of this page.

Thanks to KITE and GLURK who each made efforts at transcription that seem very good! Broken into paragraphs by me for clarity, emphasis on "mildly attractive" added by me and any help on the few unknown words is appreciated.

Ted Kaczynski Journal:

"proved that my ego was serving a (unknown) over sex,
But this was a bitter and painful pride, because I wanted very
badly to have a girlfriend. Thus, I regretted afterward having been
cowed by a pretty girl.

The very strength of my desire for girls
made it much harder for me; I didn't find it hard to be friendly
with a girl whom I found only mildly attractive. But in any case, I
didn't understand when or how to **** ask for a date. In high
school. my personal situation was such that I learned *** nothing
about dating conventions, and, being Largeley isolated socially at Harvard,
I never understood any such information there, either.

Also, the fact that I had no interest in most of the common *****
entertainments meant that it was hard for me to think of any
place where I could ask a girl to go with me. Dancing
and (unknown) with *** utmost contempt.# Movies bored me.

I might add that, while some men seem proud of their sexual activities
with women and regard it as proof of their virility, I have
never looked upon sex ********** or the "conquest" of women
as something to be proud of. To me it is nothing to take pride
in any more than eating *** candy, watching television, or
any other soft pleasure.

On the contrary, I've always considered
sex a weakness. Thus, while pride and ego helped me to steel
my will to overcome, say, a mathematical problem, pride and ego
did not steel my will to overcome my shyness with girls.
Let me illustrate all this with a few examples. When
I first got to Harvard, there was a good-looking Miss Beer who used to"

---------------------------------
IMO the thinly disguised envy of the sexually active and the expressed dislike of sexual activity, of men who brag about their conquests and virility, fits PERFECTLY with the MO of the Zodiac killing young couples in spots known for making out or sex.

KITE noted some word and phrase matches to Zodiac.

Kaczynski using "MILDLY attractive", in my opinion, is a good stylistic comparison to Zodiac using "MILDLY cerous" [Zodiac My Name Is Letter/Code 1970].

Kaczynski, second page of FC (Ted Kaczynski) to Earth First letter: ...and COUPLED WITH THIS the trait of hypersensitivity....
Zodiac, Map Bomb Letter 1970: The Map COUPLED WITH THIS code will tell you where the bomb is set.

I noted that on the journal page discussing Harvard Ted uses the term "busy work" which was also used by Zodiac as giving the police some "busy work" [Zodiac Stine Letter, 1969].

And I noted the following from the Ellen poems and letter. Ted makes reference to "fat ass", a term he also used in a letter to a former employer, while Zodiac said the police better get off their "fat asses" if they want to catch him [Zodiac, LA Times letter, 1971].

Ted also uses the word "nasty", which Zodiac used in saying he would do something "nasty" [Zodiac Exorcist Letter 1974].

Second page of Earth First letter (Appendix). Uses Zodiac term "coupled with this" start of third paragraph:

Ellen poems and letter. Uses Zodiac terms "fat ass" and "nasty":

Journal page on Harvard. Uses Zodiac term "busy work" end of fourth paragraph.

akwilks

Postby KITE on Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:17 am

The first sentence might be something like this:
(I was) proud that my ego was scoring a victory.....
I still see it as:
In high school, my social situation was such that I learned nothing about dating customs, and, being largely socially isolated at Harvard, I never absorbed any such information there, either.
Dancing I resented with utmost contempt. (The Unabomber used "resent bitterly")
Zodiac uses NASTY several times before 1974, such as:
(....you would be NASTY enough to trace them back to the developer....)
(....please no NASTY ones like melvin's....)
In my opinion, the most striking writing comparison is the Kaczynski use of RATHER MESSY before Zodiac used RATHER MESSY.

To take a more comprehensively abstract approach, let's call it, compare this Kaczynski writing from that same page:
Let me ILLUSTATE ALL OF THIS WITH A FEW EXAMPLES. WHEN I FIRST got to......
to the Zodiac writing:
I shall be very happy TO SUPPLY EVEN MORE MATERIAL. (A few sentences later, Zodiac begins a sentence with WHEN....)
WHEN I fired the FIRST shot.....
KITE

Next

Return to General Discussion