1965-1968: Coed & Family Murders - Percy, Bricca & Robison

Re: September 1966 - Midwest Murders - Slaying of Valerie Percy

Postby KITE on Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:28 pm

AK, that's amazing how you found DR GUIDINI in the remaining letters in the TJK name, other than where ZODIUS is found in ZYNSKI and DR in TH. It's just like being able to find SPEAKING in the section remaining other than the THE=THE and ZYNSKI=ZODIAC sections. I recalled that DR was found in the TH, but didn't think to look for Guidini. It might seem as if DR. Guidini Zodius was the first try at what would evolve into The Zodiac Speaking. It's really not that easy to pull names or words out like that in what's remaining as your options get less and less with each letter picked or otherwise your options are limited to begin with.
KITE

Postby akwilks on Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:26 pm

Remember that Zodiac often began his letters with: THIS IS THE ZODIAC SPEAKING

And in the Robison Family Murders we have a tipster asking police to print "DR GUIDINI...ZODIUS" in the newspapers.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+20..N.......B.......Y.......I.......X........I.......L.......Y........D.......E.......U........W.......T........S.......H.......M........E.......C
+10..D.......R.......O......Y.......N.......Y.......B.......O.......T........U.......K........M.......J.........I.......X........C........U.......S

**0..T.......H.......E......O.......D.......O.......R.......E........J........K.......A.......C........Z........Y.......N........S........K........I

-10..J.......X........U......E.......T.......E.......H.......U........Z........A.......Q.......S........P........O.......D........I.........A.......Y
-20..Z.......N.......K.......U.......J........U......X.......K........P........Q.......G.......I.........F........E.......T.........Y.......Q........O

THIS IS......THE...ZODIAC...SPEAKING

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+20..N.......B.......Y.......I.......X........I.......L.......Y........D.......E.......U........W.......T........S.......H.......M........E.......C
+10..D.......R.......O......Y.......N.......Y.......B.......O.......T........U.......K........M.......J.........I.......X........C........U.......S

**0..T.......H.......E......O.......D.......O.......R.......E........J........K.......A.......C........Z........Y.......N........S........K........I

-10..J.......X........U......E.......T.......E.......H.......U........Z........A.......Q.......S........P........O.......D........I.........A.......Y
-20..Z.......N.......K.......U.......J........U......X.......K........P........Q.......G.......I.........F........E.......T.........Y.......Q........O

DR GUIDINI ZODIUS

I read that the Robison Family was not seen after 4:00 PM, which would give Scolaro enough time to kill them and make it back to Detroit by 11:15 PM. But so far I have only seen reports of shots at 8:30 PM or 9:00 PM. That creates the problem of how Joseph Scolaro covered 300 miles in about 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

But I do NOT know a lot about this case, I need to read the Rasmussen book and the Link book "When Evil Came To Good Hart." I understand Link explores all theories but concludes that the bulk of the evidence supports the theory that Scolaro probably did it (perhaps assisted by hitmen), while Rasmussen thinks Scolaro did not do it, and that the Robison case may be linked to the Zodiac, who he thinks may have killed Valerie Percy.

Many think "Mr. Roebert" was someone hired by Scolaro, but I have yet to see evidence of that. It does makes sense, if perhaps a little too elaborate. Also it was Mr. Roebert telling Robison that he had deposited $200,000 in the bank account that prompted Robison to call the bank and check his balance on 6/25/68, that led to the discovery that Scolaro had embezzled, mismanaged or lost a reported $60,000 in funds. So if Roebert was just a person hired by Scolaro, why would he tell him to do the one thing that exposes Scolaro? Doesn't make any sense.

Roebert's voice on the phone was described as "monontone", "frequent pauses" and "robotic". This is similar to the reports by police dispatcher Nancy Slover on the voice of Zodiac.

Mr. Roebert from San Francisco claimed to represent an organization called SUPERIOR TABLE. This memo was found on Mr. Robison's office desk.

If Joseph Scolaro killed Mr. Robison and was behind the Mr. Roeberts persona, then he must have written the memo below.

Rasmussen claims that Zodiac may have killed the Robison's. I have not yet read his book, so I can't comment on his evidence for this, other than the interesting ZODIUS element and the few other things I and Kite have noted here.

If Zodiac did kill the Robison Family, than this "Mr. Roebert" from San Francisco may have been Zodiac, and this memo may be from Zodiac.

If you look at the name ROEBERT, there are *** under the letters "EBE". The letters "EBE" start the Unsolved 18 from the first Zodiac code.

I don't know what "Computer Headquarters" is supposed to mean. It doesn't sound like anything a real businessman would write, but more like a lay person's conception of a business memo or a young person who likes comic books and James Bond movies. Or someone with an inflated idea of the powers of computers and their impact, either for good or bad. The ideas of world peace and unity are expressed in such terms that it seems not like idealism but mockery IMO.

The names of the other "members" of this group also seem fake - they are all common first names for men.

OK, Mr. Robison's first name was Richard. So it appears that maybe this very strange memo adresses these men by their first name. Except "Peters" sounds more like a last name than a first name. The others could go either way, as first names or last names.

Robison Family Murder Memo From Mr Roebert Superior Table.jpg
Robison Family Murder Memo From Mr Roebert Superior Table.jpg (58.35 KiB) Viewed 4336 times

Robison Family Murder Memo From Mr Roebert Superior Table Large.jpg
Robison Family Murder Memo From Mr Roebert Superior Table Large.jpg (88.03 KiB) Viewed 4348 times
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:00 am

I am about 85% of the belief that Scolaro probably did the killings. He had motive, means and (pretty much) opportunity. There is just a ton of circumstantial evidence against him. He cannot produce an alibi for 11:00 am to 11:15 PM the day of the murders. He was apparently stealing money from the Robison business, which Mr. Robison discovered the morning of his murder and talked to him about. Scolaro owned a .22 and a .25. On the flip side, it is still puzzling how he traveled 300 miles in 3 hours - but perhaps he had help for the murders, or perhaps his 11:15 PM alibi from his wife is shaky, as a result of her telling a lie or just being mistaken on the time. If he really came home at 12:15 then the distance is not so much of an issue - he could cover the 300 miles in four hours at a reasonable 75 miles per hour.

It is still puzzling why he would kill the entire family, and in such a brutal way with the odd posing.

I want to read both books - the one by Mardi Link ("When Evil Came To Good Hart") who thinks Scolaro probably did it and the one by William T Rasmussen ("Corroborating Evidence III") who thinks it was not Scolaro but instead could be a psychopath and maybe Zodiac - before deciding.

If we say that Zodiac killed Bates on 10/30/66, and then Jensen/Faraday 12/20/68, that does leave a two year open period. And with the exception of Nikki Benedict who I think was killed around 5/1/67, I don't recall a lot of possible Zodiac crimes in this two year period. So the 6/25/68 Robison Murders fit and may be interesting for that reason, combined with the Zodius element and other cryptic clues. Also the posing of the bodies and the blanket which recall Santa Barbara Domingos/Edwards 1963. But the bulk of the hard and circumstantial evidence just points so much to Scolaro. And this "SUPERIOR TABLE" and "MR. ROEBERT" scam seems too involved, elaborate and risky for Zodiac. Scolaro seems a better suspect for that, though I cannot explain why Scolaro would put *** under the "EBE". It is a weird coincidence, but weird coincidences do happen.

I still think that ZODIAC could have either sent in the tip using ZODIUS or read about it and picked up on the name. Maybe seeing the Latin name is ZODIACUS, and going with ZODIAC from there. That would point to Zodiac haiving some Midwestern or Michigan ties. Of course Ted Kaczynski grew up in the nearby Chicago, Illinois suburbs, and had spent 5 years in Michigan, 1962 to 1967. He taught at Berkeley from the Summer of 1967 to the Summer of 1969. The Summer of 1968 I think he would have taken off, as most college students and professors do. I can speculate he might have visited Illinois or Michigan during the period, or even just read the Detroit newspapers at the Berkeley University library.

The Robison Murders case would have been a big story with newspaper coverage in Michigan, of course, but also through the Midwest, likely from Pennsylvania to Ohio to Illinois. It may have got some coverage in New York, the South, the West and California, but probably not much.

Given that Zodiac sent in a tip on the SLA case, and Ted seemingly being jealous about the OKC bombing, I can see Zodiac and/or Ted Kaczynski sending in the tip in the Robison case with DR GUIDINI ZODIUS names even if he had nothing to do with the murder. The cryptic code and the ZYNSKI/ZODIUS element is not absolute but it is pretty strong.

I definitely think Zodiac is a strong suspect for the Valerie Percy murder, and Rasmussen covers that in his book, and he does not even consider TK as a suspect. When you factor in TK as a Zodiac suspect, and his family home being so close, his statements about "REALLY" killing everyone he hated made only weeks before the Percy murder and who Charles Percy was, it makes for a compelling case. And we have not yet seen what new evidence Rasmussen has which he says points to Zodiac as a suspect in the Percy case.
akwilks

Postby KITE on Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:27 am

Let me put some things together here:
*EMMET County, Michigan was given that name in 1843, named after Robert Emmet Irish patriot, died 1803(The same Robert Emmet possibly alluded to in the Zodiac Unknown 18(Robert Emmet The Hippie)
*ROEBERT is an angram for Robert E
*ROEBERT was from San Francisco?
*There is a statue of Robert Emmet Irish patriot in San Francisco
*ROEBERT has the EBE with dots underneath: EBE... begins the Zodiac Unknown 18 that can be considered an approx of Robert Emmet The Hippie: EBEORIETEMETHHPITI
*An anonymous tipster used the name ZODIUS concerning the Robison case
*ZODIUS can be Caesar shifted to ZYNSKI with (0,10,10,10,10,10)
*ZODIAC can be Caesar shifted to ZYNSKI with (0,10,10,10,10,20)
*Theodore J Kaczynski can be Caesar shifted to TEHIMIOHPERTTEEBEI(An anagram for EBEORIETEMETHHPITI) with the number string(033696336699669960)

AK, that alias of Ted Kaczynski as a youth: APIAS TUBEROSA is very similar, letter-wise, to SUPERIOR TABLE. Both are 13 letters long. Both have 10/13 letters in common: (SUPERIOTAB) The different letters of each are (ABEIOPRSTU) compared to (ABEILOPRSTU). Because they are both 13 letters long and are very similar letter-wise, that makes me suspicious that they both might be being Caesar shifted from the same 13-letter word or name?

And AK, seeing SUPERIOR TABLE underlined each word individually struck me as Kaczynski-like. Take a look at the massive 340 Cipher Topic with over 10,000 views. The last post you made concerning the Decoding Procedure. Decoding and Procedure are at the top and underlined individually.
KITE

Postby akwilks on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:57 pm

It does seem that all the letters in APIAS TUBEROSA can also be found in SUPERIOR TABLE. But I am not sure if that is significant or not. It is one more interesting thing, and such a weird name for an international organization, even a fake one, in the first place. The "Superior Table"? What the heck does that mean?

A..P..I..A..S..T..U..B..E..R..O..S..A

S..U..P..E..R..I..O..R..T..A..B..L..E

The author of the Superior Table memo, using a weird cursive typewriter font, does put *** under the "EBE" in the name "ROEBERT". And these murders did happen in EMMET County, Michigan.

Look at the famous unsolved 18 sequence, in the order given by Zodiac, and see where the letters for the name ROEBERT and EMET are:

E..B..E..O..R..I..E..T..E..M..E..T..H..H..P..I..T..I

Given the strong circumstantial case against Scolaro, I am not sure if we should consider these possible cryptic clues significant or likely coincidences. But the number and quality of them is interesting. As Goldfinger once said to James Bond "That is two times you have involved yourself in my affairs. Once is happenstance, twice coincidence. Three times is enemy action."

----------------------------------------

I do remember Ted Kaczynski talking about stringing wires and/or cables from tree to tree in nature areas, with the goal of maiming or killing the "noisy polluting" snowmobilers and motorcyclists he hated.

Can anyone direct me to a link or source that mentions those entries in Ted's journal? I can't seem to find it.

I ask because it appears in the weeks prior to the Robison Murders, in the same exact area, someone strung a cable from tree to tree over a dirt road, damaging a car. In this same time period a motorcyclist died, and some suspect he was killed by a similar type of cable.
Last edited by akwilks on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
akwilks

Postby KITE on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:55 pm

An anagram for (EBEORIETEMETHHPITI) is (I ROBET EMET THE HIPIE). Interesting possibility in that the three missing letters (RMP) are all what would be the second double of a consonant in the 3 words: (ROBE(R)T) (EM(M)ET) (HIP(P)IE). With the Roebert alias anagramming to ROBERT E and being from San Francisco and with an anonymous tip on the Emmet(named after Robert Emmet Irish patriot) County Mighigan case from a ZODIUS, interesting coincidence that ZODIAC may have given the anagram I ROBET EMET THE HIPIE? The first 3 letters of the unknown 18, EBE, match the dots from under alias name Roebert but also the first 5 of the unknown 18 (EBEOR) are ROEBE backward. But, now, I''m wondering why the dots were placed under EBE? It's one thing to begin the unknown 18 with EBE(year:1969) as to possibly clue in on a previous case but it might be an entirely different thing as to why the dots were placed under EBE(year:1968) in the first place?
KITE

Postby akwilks on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:58 pm

This is a post from http://www.thegoodhartmurders.forummotions.com .

I cannot yet verify it as true, but I have no reason to doubt its accuracy. There was a motorcyclist killed right before the Robison Family Murders, and it was very close to the cottage. Mr. Robison did know the deceased. The fact that someone was stringing cables in this area is very interesting, in light of the fact that Ted Kaczynski recorded doing the exact same thing, with the stated intent to kill motorcyclists.

A new book "Corroborating Evidence III" by William T. Rasmussen contains evidence that the Zodiac Killer should be considered a possible suspect in the Robison Murders case, and one item of evidence is that someone, perhaps with inside knowledge of the case, sent a tip to police asking the name ZODIUS to appear in the newspaper as a signal. Ted Kaczynski is a leading suspect to be the Zodiac Killer, and had lived in Michigan for 5 years, from 1962 - 1967. Given his fondness for wilderness areas and hunting, he may well have explored this area of Northern Michigan, but that is speculation on my part.

http://thegoodhartmurders.forummotions. ... hat-summer

Strange Events from that summer

warrior1978 on Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:13 pm

I guess I will tell my family’s story as it was relayed to me many years ago. Some of what I will write about was mentioned or alluded to in the two books I read about the murders, I do not know if any or all of it is the original police reports.

As my father and mother told me the story, the same summer the Robison family was murdered two strange things occurred to them. One summer afternoon they were driving along Lakeshore Drive (I believe or another nearby road) near Blisswood when as they came around a corner of the road, their vehicle hit an outstretched cable damaging the front end of the car. I believe my father mentioned there was oil in the road as well. They left the scene and returned a short time later with a police officer however the cable had been removed. A short time after this occurred, my cousin was killed in a motorcycle crash near Blisswood. This was mentioned in the book. Although he was drunk at the time, my father was convinced that the crash was not an accident and that cable that my father struck was intended for my cousin. I believe my cousin’s father (Chauncey) blamed Dick Robison for something or another as it related to the death of my cousin.

The same day or within a day or two when the Robison family was thought to have been murdered, it was evening and my parents were on the beach very close to the Robison cabin. As my father told the story, he and my mother were relaxing on the beach and my father was shooting at seagulls with a .38 revolver. It grew darker and at some point my father and mother saw a lantern in the woods. My father believing it was Richard Robison called out in the direction of the lantern, “is that you Richard?” and then the lantern went out.

I asked my father in he ever reported any of this to the investigators and he said yes. I’ve always wondered if his stories were ever considered or addressed in the police reports.

--------- ---------- ----------

AK Wilks: Found a reference to Ted Kaczynski setting traps to kill motorcycle drivers:

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/199 ... -unabomber

Book Links Unabomber To Sabotage

March 14, 1999|By New York Times

LINCOLN, Mont. - Theodore Kaczynski won notoriety as the Unabomber, the evil genius who mailed deadly pipe bombs to scientists and corporate targets.

But in this mountain village detective work is giving Kaczynski a new notoriety: as a pioneer for environmental sabotage. Starting in 1975, a decade before Earth First made ``monkeywrenching'' a household term, Kaczynski opened a local front in his one-man war against what he called the octopus of technology.

Roaming in a 25-mile radius from his cabin here, Lincoln's environmental radical, according to several sources, booby-trapped motorcycle trails with wires strung between trees, sabotaged mining machinery with sand, burned logging equipment, poured sugar into snowmobile gas tanks and destroyed vacation cabins with ax blows.

The account of this 20-year trail of sabotage comes from two letters Kaczynski wrote from prison in January, an investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and a new book by a neighbor, Chris Waits.

In 1982, according to Waits' book, Kaczynski smashed up a vacation home and destroyed a motorcycle and four snowmobiles.

One week later, two deputy sheriffs knocked on his cabin door. ``I was so cool and collected in answering cops questions,'' Kaczynski boasted in an entry decoded 14 years later by the FBI. Noting that the police never returned - and that his neighbors did not resume snowmobiling that winter - he wrote: ``Who says crime doesn't pay? I feel very good about this.''

--------------------------------------------

Also JEM posted this:

Chris Waits, in his book "UNABOMBER The Secret Life of Ted Kaczynski", has two undated entries from Ted's journals:

At the end of Summer '75 after the roaring by of motorcycles near my camp spoiled a hike for me, I put a piece of wire across a trail where cycle-tracks were visible, at about neck height for a motorcyclist. (Next summer I found someone had wrapped the wire safely around a tree. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone was injured by it.)

Summer '77...I strung a neck-wire for motorcyclists along the divide trail above [location]. Later I found the wire was gone. Whether it hurt anyone I don't know.

The two above entries are from page 206. On page 204 you can find an interesting entry from Ted's coded journals. In this journal entry Ted talks about acts of vandalism he's committed, and about being questioned by the police concerning crimes in the area and whether he's had any problems with motorcyclists. He writes that he doesn't think the police seriously suspect him, and that he's pleased with how cool and collected he was while speaking with the officers.

Last edited by akwilks on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:26 pm

I don't think there were a lot of people in 1968 stringing wires and cables between trees over dirt roads to kill motorcyclists. Just on the basis that there were such wires strung in Good Hart, Michigan in June, 1968, would at least raise the question of Ted Kaczynski possibly being in that area, in a state he had lived in for 5 years. Was he teaching the summer of 1968, or did he take the summer off? Does he have an alibi for June, 1968? And the next question would be "were there any other crimes in that same area in that same time period?" And here we have a murder of a family, with someone perhaps having inside knowledge sending in a tip with the requirement that DR GUIDINI and ZODIUS appear in the paper. Which Caesar shifts to ZYNSKI. And all the other cryptic clues, such as DR GUIDINI coming out of a Caesar shift from the name THEODOREJ.

I can't deny that Scolaro is still the best suspect, with a compelling circumstantial case against him.

One of the 5 Great Lakes that surround the State of Michigan is Lake SUPERIOR.

Kite is correct, it does seem that all the letters in APIAS TUBEROSA can also be found in SUPERIOR TABLE. I am not sure if that is significant or not. It does interest me, that a known alias of serial killer Ted Kaczynski, a Zodiac suspect, is APIAS TUBEROSA. And the alias or fake organization of an unknown person who probably brutally slaughtered a family consists of all the letters in that Kaczynski alias plus "L". And this unknown person who used the alias SUPERIOR TABLE is suspected in a new book of being the Zodiac, and also apparently used the name ZODIUS!

It is one more interesting thing, and such a weird name for an international organization, even a fake one, in the first place. The "Superior Table"? What the heck does that mean?

A..P..I..A..S..T..U..B..E..R..O..S..A

S..U..P..E..R..I..O..R..T..A..B..L..E

Also, if you do a Caesar shift of -3 for THEODORE, the first five letters you can get TABLE. If you do a -9, -6, -3, 0, +3, +6, +9 Caesar Matrix for THEODORE J KACZYNSKI, you can get APIAS TUBEROSA, or get SUPERIOR TABLE. With TABLE in the first 5 letters. If, as Kite and I think, Ted was experimenting with Caesar shifts to disguise his name, he might well have noticed that TABLE jumps out.

T..H..E..O..D
Q..E..B..L..A
akwilks

Postby KITE on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:28 am

Those are a couple of solid cryptic possibilities, in my opinion: Lake SUPERIOR and THEOD=TEBLA (0,-3,-3,-3,-3). I agree that Superior Table seems a sort of odd name selection. Generally speaking, one might opine it sounds a bit odd and we, around here, might opine that it sounds Caesar shifted? And then to go on with "chair of power" as if to possibly word play with Superior Table?
Last edited by KITE on Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
KITE

Postby KITE on Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:39 pm

Looking at the possibility that Zodiac wrote the Superior Table memo: Under that speculated scenario, it might possibly seem that the letters EBE meant something to Zodiac, with EBE being dotted in the name ROEBERT and with the beginning of the unknown 18 being EBE? And with the possible consistency of alluding to revolutionary Robert Emmet (Roebert is an anagram for Robert E: EBEORIETEMETHHPITI is an anagram for I ROBET EMET THE HIPIE: Emmet County, Michigan was named after revolutionary Robert Emmet in 1843), EBE might stand for something of a revolutionary nature in Zodiacs mind? Perhaps a group revolting against society that he has created or something similar, maybe? In a coincidence considering this line of speculation, from the Unabomber case--the letters FC follow EB in the alphabet: E(F)B(C).
KITE

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates