The DNA Saga Continues

The DNA Saga Continues

Postby akwilks on Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:27 pm

Everything seems to be moving at a snails pace. I did get a call from the FBI on the Tylenol case. But I don't know what, if anything to take from that, and everything else is stuck in the mud.

It seems that the police wrote off Ted as Z in large part because DNA said to come from a Unabomber letter did not mtach suspected Z DNA. Now, nobody has actually told me that, but that is what I get by reading between the lines.

I have more or less taken it as gospel truth that the DNA found on the Unabomber letter was, 95% likely or better, to be from Ted. I wondered if he would slip up and put his DNA on a stamp, I wondered if he might get someone else to lick it, or if it could be a lab mistake. But I was fairly sure it was his, and had no reason to really doubt it. What I found is rather amazing.

Ted had a procedure he used with all his stamps. The FBI says they matched DNA from the June 20, 1995 Prof. Tyler letter from the Unabomber to DNA from a Ted letter to his brother. But the FBI records, from Ted's own journals and their analysis, show that he had a very careful procedure he used with ALL stamps he bought, regardless of whether they were to be used on bomb packages, letters to newspapers or to family. This is the procedure, as recounted on p. xxi in the book "Unabomber: A Desire To Kill", by Robert Graysmith:

"The previous night he had specially treated the "O'Neill" stamps along with the others - "Lucy Stone" fifty cent stamps, "Frederick Douglass" twenty five cent stamps and another dollar stamp, "America's Light Fueled by Truth and Reason". THE SOLITARY MAN HAD SOAKED THEM IN SALT WATER, THEN RUBBED THEM WITH SOY BEAN OIL TO ERASE ANY FINGERPRINTS THAT MIGHT HAVE SLIPPED PAST HIS IMPROVISED PLASTIC WRAP "GLOVES" "

Ted never licked stamps or anything else. From 1978 to 1995, the FBI "knew the technophobic bomber never licked labels" or envelope flaps or stamps - but then in 1995 he just "slipped up" and licked a stamp? Graysmith book, pp. 279 and 324. That is highly, highly unlikely. There is a reason the FBI after an 18 year $60 million investigation had a 25,000 person suspect list that did not have Ted's name on it. He simply made very few slips up of any kind, and never made a major mistake. Kaczynski knew all about DNA - he sent a bomb to leading genetic scientist Dr. Epstien and had the name and home address of the inventor of the PCR DNA method, Kary Mullis, on a death list in his cabin. He thought DNA was yet another way the "techno - nerds" would try to control humanity.

We must also consider that the Unabomber case was happening in the time period of the FBI lab scandal. The lab was found to have grossly violated procedures involving contamination. There were proven accusations of incompetence, contamination violations, bias, unsound procedures, and even perjury and out right fabrication. In regards to the Unabomber case specifically, the explosives analysis was grossly unsound and partially fabricated - that is what the Department of Justice Inspector General found. See http://www.usdoj.gov/oig/special/9704a/17unabom.htm . In relevant part:

"Furthermore, the concerns raised by Burmeister about Rudolph's conclusions appear in several instances to be well-founded. The Laboratory did not adequately address these concerns after they were brought to the attention of Mohnal and Laboratory management in September 1995. Rudolph's work on UNABOM displays the same problems of inadequate documentation and conclusions not supported by sufficient data that we noted in the more general discussion in Part Three, Section A above.

A qualified explosives residue examiner should undertake a detailed review of all of Rudolph's UNABOM work before it is used further in the case. In response to a draft of this section of the report, Robert Cleary, a Special Attorney to the U.S. Attorney General, advised the OIG that the Government would not be relying upon any of Rudolph's work in the UNABOM case as part of the prosecution of Theodore J. Kaczyski, who has been indicted on charges related to bombings attributed to the Unabomber. Cleary stated that to the extent the Government will offer explosive residue evidence in the Kaczyski case, it will be relying upon the conclusions of Burmeister and other, non-FBI laboratories."

Thus, the Justice Department agreed NOT to use FBI Lab results because they were so tainted. Lawyers for Kaczynski asserted it was "impossible" for the FBI to have obtained his DNA. In regards to DNA, this is what the writers of a book on the lab scandal found:

"The IG follow-up report dealt only with the explosives unit. But since the publication of our book in the United States, we have investigated the operations of the DNA unit which the IG claimed was a model of scientific integrity. We found that the original IG investigation discovered quite the contrary. That the DNA unit was seriously negligent, but the IG covered up this finding. We discovered that Drs. Greg Parsons and Martin Alevy of the DNA unit had refused to testify on behalf of the FBI because they felt the DNA testing could be faulty, unreliable, and inaccurate. They felt so strongly about this that they left the lab to resume being street agents with a cut in pay and rank.

The head of the DNA unit, Dr. Jenifer Lindsey Smith, and her subordinates totally botched the DNA testing in the Unabomber case such that the prosecution would not have been able to use the results if Unabomber suspect Ted Kaczynski had gone to trial. Smith did not even bother to obtain a sample of Kaczynski's actual DNA, and an FBI affidavit lied that there was a match found between the Unabomber's DNA and Kaczynski's DNA. "

Tainting Evidence: Inside the Scandal at the FBI Crime Lab, John Kelly and Phillip K Wearne

In short, there is very good reason to doubt that Kaczynski DNA is on any Unabomber stamp or personal stamp. And we now know that Kaczynski DNA frrom his body has never been put into CODIS. Federal law requires all convicted prisoners in federal custody to have DNA taken. Yet it has never happened.

Thus, the case is at a standstill.
akwilks

Re: The DNA Saga Continues

Postby AweShucks on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:03 pm

Have you or Doug ever tried to contact the media at all on this theory? Perhaps a little media attention would create enough of a stir that the FBI or other LE entity would take more note. It is of my opinion the FBI will do little or nothing to pursue Ted in this case or any other to protect their own interests. Unless pressured in some way?
AweShucks

Postby akwilks on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:38 pm

One other interesting fact I uncovered. The publicly reported DNA said to be found on the stamp of the very last letter the Unabomber sent had a DQA1, or "DQ Alpha One", of "1.1, 2". I can confirm that that particluar DNA was already in the FBI lab, as both a Unabomber victim and an early suspect had DNA with that type.

Given the investigation of the lab scandal that uncovered huge violations of anti-contamination procedures, as well as incompetence, bias and fabrication, we can see what MAY have happened. Even something as simple as a lab tech handling these DNA samples and then the Unabomber letter could have caused the contamination.

I just find it very hard to believe that Ted followed his procedures so strictly for 18 years, so much so that the FBI never even got trace amounts of DNA off of anything, yet on the very last stamp he licks it! Anything is possible, but that is very hard to believe. And yet it appears one of the central reasons Ted was dismissed as a Z suspect was because the DNA said to be from the Unabomber letter didn't match the suspected Z DNA.

And to this day Ted has still not had DNA drawn from his body. Some in local law enforcement are trying to change that, but are meeting a lot of resisitance, denial and delays from the feds.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:41 pm

Awe

I think you are right - media attention could help and may even be key. I have made a few efforts. Not much luck.
akwilks

Postby AweShucks on Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:45 pm

akwilks wrote:Awe

I think you are right - media attention could help and may even be key. I have made a few efforts. Not much luck.

So make a youtube video and start there? Assuming it gets a fair amount of attention the mainstream media will take hold of it? I'd stick mainly to the Tylenol Murders I think the evidence is a little more compelling there?
AweShucks

Postby akwilks on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:18 pm

I have made contacts with Chicago, SF and other media, with a mixed response. One Chicago paper is saying they will do a story. But others say "This looks interesting, and makes sense to me, but I am not an expert - have the police or FBI validated your theories or evidence?"

The problem is that sometimes the police only seem to respond if something gets media attention! So, a bit of a Catch - 22.

Does anyone know how to contact the History Mystery Quest show? Or have other media contacts? I am open to ideas.

I am still working the contacts I have.
akwilks

Postby AweShucks on Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:43 pm

The history.com message board might lead you somewhere? That's how Mythbusters get almost all of their ideas for a show. In the end you may just have to find the right reporter?
AweShucks

Postby akwilks on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:36 pm

Longtime Z reaearcher Michael Butterfield has a new message board at his site, and I have been carrying on a sometimes interesting discussion there on the Kaczynski DNA issue and other matters.

http://www.zodiackillerfacts.com/forum/ ... f=33&t=224

It appears the bystander board is being shut down and/or shifting to a new site. I would encourage interested persons to check out this new site, it is very good. It also has lots of general discussion of the Z case, including the History channel show, Gaikowski, ALA and this new book by a man who claims his father was the Black Dahlia Killer AND the Zodiac.

I think this new board may replace bystander as the best general Zodiac board. Bystander has many good posters but too often got caught up in personality fueds and name calling.

There is also the http://www.zodiaczee.com/index.php board, another good all around Z board.
akwilks

Postby AweShucks on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:44 pm

akwilks wrote:
There is also the http://www.zodiaczee.com/index.php board, another good all around Z board.

I've completely given up on this board..................................... my account has been deleted twice now for no apparent reason. :roll:
AweShucks

Postby akwilks on Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:34 pm

Hmm. Sorry to hear that. You should join here:

http://www.zodiackillerfacts.com/forum/index.php

Pretty good general Zodiac board.
akwilks

Return to News and Updates