The 1982 - 1986 Tylenol Murders and Unabomber Ted Kaczynski

Re: The 1982 - 1986 Tylenol Murders and Unabomber Ted Kaczynski

Postby akwilks on Mon May 23, 2011 10:04 am

That is true, he could have rented a car.

Also, Doug, as you noted:

Here's what Dave told the FBI in 1996:

"DAVE's memory of that time was extremely vague, but he seemed to remember that TED once drove DAVE's car to Montana and that he brought the car back to Chicago. DAVE could not recall the date, or recall an approximate time period."

So it is possible that Ted could have borrowed Dave's car in 1982, and certainly that would fit with the Sheridan, Wyoming tampering case at the store on I-90 near the Montana border, the incident at the Howard Johnson's on I-90 and the semi circle of placements at Chicago area stores with the Kaczynski home in Lombard at the epicenter.

The Howards Johnsons parking lot incident happened on September 28, 1982, the day BEFORE the first Chicago area deaths. The officers saw hundreds of Tylenol capsules in the parking lot and white powder. They picked up the items, looked at them, and left. They later got sick with symptoms consistent with skin contact with cyanide. When they went back on the 30th, most everything was gone. I don't know what to make of the incident, but it could be the killer was seen or thought he might have been seen by somebody, and thus gave up his project before he was finished.

I just found out that despite official denials that the 1982 Chicago cases had any link to the 1986 Tylenol cyanide death of Yonkers, NY resident Diane Elsroth, in 2010 the FBI examined tainted capsules that were placed at two stores there in 1986 (on CEDAR St. and PONDFIELD Road) for possible DNA. I do not know if any DNA was found. But they did find traces of SILVER in the cyanide, which could mean several things, but is most consistent with the cyanide having been used in the silver mining process, or stolen from a working or closed silver mining site.

Doug Oswell first mentioned that MONTANA has many active and closed gold and silver mine sites. Also, many individuals engage in gold and silver mining on their own, sometimes using cyanide. One such person was Ted Kaczynski's neighbor and sometime friend Chris Waits. There is also evidence that Ted Kaczynski himself both visited and stole from closed mines and did some silver and/or gold prospecting himself.
Last edited by akwilks on Mon May 23, 2011 10:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Mon May 23, 2011 10:21 am

Ted says in his legal motion he never "possessed" potassium cyanide.

But his neighbor Chris Waits did silver and gold prospecting, and may have used CYANIDE to do this. Chris had a garage and outdoor area where he stored tools, supplies and junk, and he let Ted have free access to this area. This area could have had cyanide in it.

On pages 46 - 47 of the book Unabomber: The Secret Life Of Ted Kaczynski by Chris Waits and Dave Shors, Waits relates how he told Ted about several old deserted mine shafts, and how there was equipment, supplies and a few gold flakes left there. Waits told Ted where they were and states:

"small ceramic crucibles used in the fire-assay of ore could still be found lying around the front of the building. We talked at length about these and some metal objects I had seen near the sites.

The next time I hiked into the old mines, several months later, everything was gone: no sulphur, no metal objects I had described."

Waits thinks it likely Ted did go there, and notes the following items seized from Ted's cabin:

FBI Inventory
# L59 - Container of yellow crystals with plastic bags
# L60 - Container of white powder
# L61 - Six sealed bottles labeled sulphur
# MB26 - One small white ceramic crucible
# MB27 - Two off white colored ceramic crucible lids

Cyanide, of course, is a white powder.

Chris Waits states that he told Ted Kaczynski that he did placer mining and gold washing by hand, and that all that was needed to start was a frying pan without a handle. He explained that a teaspoonful of gold could fetch $300. He says Ted "definitely showed interest." See Unabomber: The Secret Life of Ted Kaczynski by Chris Waits and Dave Shors, pages 52 to 54.

Cyanide is used in many of the different mining methods. It can also be used to clean and polish jewelry, silver and gold. Waits thinks it likely Ted did do some prospecting, and notes the following items seized from his cabin as proof:

FBI Inventory

# MB120N - One "Calumet Baking Powder" can with paper label secured with masking tape, with handwritten notations "Black sand presumably consist[ing] largely of FeO4 or Fe O5 [iron oxide]."

# MB137 - One small clear glass jar, with red-and-white checkered metal cap, containing two staples (for wood) and a small amount of gold, shiny granuals [sic] and flakes.

# MD49 - One metal frying pan without handle.

There was also a cyanide incident in May of 1984 that proved to be lethal. In Manitowoc, Wisconsin (which is just north of the Chicago area) a tax auditor named Thomas Dresser died after drinking a Coca - Cola bottle that had Cyanide in it, while at a picnic with his wife. At first considered a murder, suicide was later mentioned as a possibility, though the known facts are not in accord with a suicide and the case was never fully solved.

An item found in Kaczynski's cabin indicates that he might have been in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. It is a box containing Potassium based chemicals, chemicals which can be a precursor to making Potassium Cyanide. The label on the box indicates it came from a lab in Manitowoc, Wisconsin. Since it is highly doubtful Kaczynski ordered it through a traceable means like mail delivery, he probably bought, stole, garbage picked or otherwise obtained it directly from the premises of that lab.

The FBI inventory lists the item as "MB 171 two small white cardboard boxes labeled "Potassium chromate K. CrO, for lab use only. Hagenow Labs, Inc., Manitowoc, Wis.," in a white plastic shopping bag." This item is poisonous.

Kaczynski also had chemicals with labels indicating they came from labs in Long Island, New York and San Antonio, Texas - each place within a one hour drive of a 1986 Cyanide death. The chemical with the San Antonio label was also a Potassium based chemical.
Last edited by akwilks on Mon May 23, 2011 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
akwilks

Postby Drew on Tue May 24, 2011 5:51 am

I found this blog article last night, and I first wondered if it was authored by someone in our group. It contains some really interesting bits of information, notably a genetic-engineering company in New York that Johnson and Johnson signed a deal with in 1982. I mention this point because of the research AK has done into the cyanide death in New York.

http://phillytechnews.blogspot.com/2011 ... -have.html
Drew

Postby Doug on Tue May 24, 2011 6:24 am

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! But some good original points were made as well.
Doug
Site Admin

Postby akwilks on Tue May 24, 2011 3:43 pm

DREW - Thanks for finding that.

Perhaps the last piece of the puzzle.

Don't we have examples of Ted Kaczynski reading the NY Times to select targets? Yes, apparently the FBI thought it likely based on the timing of articles that Ted used the NY Times to target McConnell, Epstein and Gerlenter, probably Mosser, and perhaps others.

Didn't Ted Kaczynski send a bomb to Dr. Charles Epstein, a GENETIC ENGINEER? Yes he did.

Didn't Ted Kaczynski write in his Manifesto and elsewhere about what he felt were the extreme dangers associated with BIOTECH and GENETIC ENGINEERING? Yes, in section "2" of the Manifesto, right at the start, Ted says the industrial-technological system will permanently reduce "human beings and other living organisms to engineered products and mere cogs in the social machine." (Emphasis added). In his April 24, 1995 letter to the NY Times Ted stated "The people we are out to get are the scientists and engineers, especially in critical fields like computers and genetics." (emphasis added). And there are multiple references throughout his writing to the extreme dangers of the biotech and genetics fields.

With Johnson & Johnson spending tens of millions of dollars to buy and expand BIOTECH and GENETIC ENGINEERING companies, and fund RESEARCH at such companies, he may well have thought it would fit his goals to essentially sink or cripple the Johnson & Johnson Company. Or at least, as he often put it, "get my revenge on the technological society."

This article apppears in May 1982, and in July 1982 we have the Tylenol Cyanide death of Jay Mitchell in Sheridan, Wyoming, just across the Montana border.

And in September 1982 the Tylenol Murders cause a $100 Million direct loss to J & J because of the massive recall and huge drop in sales. The Tylenol Murders also caused a $1 Billion plunge in J & J stock. No doubt this financial disaster severely set back any future plans J & J had for buy and expanding biotech and genetic engineering companies, or funding their research.

In articles at the time, the Tylenol Murderer was sometimes called the "Tylenol Terrorist." One way to view this crime is as the greatest act of economic terrorism against a major American corporation in history, until 9-11 anyway.

Johnson and Johnson In Deal With Enzo New York Times May 13 1982.jpg
Johnson and Johnson In Deal With Enzo New York Times May 13 1982.jpg (88.03 KiB) Viewed 2063 times

----------- -------------

Does this item found in Ted Kaczynski's effects indicate he purchased a pound of "MERCURY"?

Is that what it says?

Kaczynski Item One Pound Mercury.jpg
Kaczynski Item One Pound Mercury.jpg (45.61 KiB) Viewed 2050 times

I think mercury can be used in a motion activated device bomb, also a heat activated bomb.

Also interesting that Ted bought this at a "prospector's" shop, that type of shop would apparently sell supplies and equipment for silver and gold mining, which would include CYANIDE. And Mercury itself is a poison. Can anyone think of another reason Ted would buy one pound of Mercury?
Last edited by akwilks on Wed May 25, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
akwilks

Postby linda on Tue May 24, 2011 4:27 pm

AK - This is quite compelling and would be the perfect motive for Ted to target Johnson & Johnson... I'll bet Doug is aware whether or not Ted used the NY times... Great find!
linda

Postby Doug on Tue May 24, 2011 6:48 pm

Have a look at this article on mercury fulminate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercury%28II%29_fulminate

Mercury cyanate is apparently an isomer of mercury fulminate (which can be used to make powerful explosives). Ted may have been experimenting with the mercury. I wonder if cyanide happened to be a byproduct of his experimentation?

Ted may not have had a degree in chemistry, but I would imagine that it's fairly easy for a mathematical genius to become a chemist.

I'm not sure about the New York Times angle, but I believe Ted's source for anything relating to Burson-Marsteller would have been the one that misspelled the name as "Burston," which he copied. This is yet another parallel with Zodiac, who continually misspelled Paul Avery's surname as "Averly."
Doug
Site Admin

Postby Drew on Wed May 25, 2011 12:07 am

You're welcome, AK. Ted regularly visited a local library while living in Montana, so I'm sure he regularly browsed The New York Times in addition to other papers.
Drew

Postby akwilks on Wed May 25, 2011 12:08 am

I just very carefully read and re-read the entire brief filed by Ted Kaczynski.

In the entire motion HE NEVER DENIES DOING THE TYLENOL MURDERS, HE NEVER STATES HE IS INNOCENT AND HE NEVER STATES WHERE HE WAS IN SEPTEMBER OF 1982 WHEN THEY HAPPENED.

He spends a whole page on how if "by chance" his DNA matches the DNA in the case, he is still entitled to present a defense, as an "innocent" person can in theory match a partial profile, as "5 or 3 or 1%" of the population may match such a partial profile.

He denies he ever "possessed" potassium cyanide, but "possess" is a word that implies purchase and ownership. As covered elsewhere, Montana is a major silver and gold mining state, Ted's neighbor says Ted probably stole items from a mine site and points to the FBI inventory list, and Waits himself did mining and prospecting and taught Ted how to do it as well. Thus Ted may have never "possessed" cyanide, i.e., bought or owned it, but he may have stolen and used it. Traces of silver were detected in the cyanide used in the 86 NY death, consistent with the cyanide being previously used for mining.

Also Ted says the prison officers asked him for a DNA sample to compare to "partial DNA profiles", note that he states they said "profileS", plural.

If this is not an error, this may be VERY significant. I think Ted is very precise in what he says, and I doubt he would make such a mistake - but perhaps the guards did. If they have even one partial DNA profile from an actual capsule, that would likely be from the killer IMO, but not definitely, as it could have come from factory worker or evidence tech. If they have just one partial DNA profile from one bottle, there is a good chance it came from a sales clerk, customer, shipper or lab tech. But if they have TWO or more partial DNA profiles from TWO or more bottle or capsules, then it seems highly, highly likely these partial DNA profiles are in fact from the Tylenol Murderer.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Wed May 25, 2011 12:27 am

Drew wrote:You're welcome, AK. Ted regularly visited a local library while living in Montana, so I'm sure he regularly browsed The New York Times in addition to other papers.

Yes so far I can establish that FBI thought, based on articles appearing shortly before they were targeted, that Ted at least got the names of victims McConnell, Gerlenter and Epstein from the NY Times. Ted also sent letters to the NY Times and asked for the Manifesto to be published in it.

And Thomas Mosser DID work on the 1982 Tylenol PR campaign according to the Graysmith book on Unabomber and the alumni speech mentioned at PhillTechNews. He got a promotion that was mentioned in the NY Times shortly before he got the bomb that killed him. The PR campaign saved the company, thus limiting Johnson & Johnson to a setback they recovered from, not the fatal blow that the Tylenol Murderer may have hoped to achieve.

Interestingly, when he was killed, his co-workers did not understand WHY the Unabomber targeted him, as he did not work for Exxon or any computer or high tech clients. He mainly worked in sports and entertainment, and for Coca - Cola after the "New Coke" fiasco. Thus, it becomes even more interesting that he worked on the Johnson & Johnson image rehab after the Tylenol deaths, and I think he worked on both the 1982 and 1986 cases.

Also, reviewing the Manifesto and Ted's writings, they are absolutely FILLED with repeated references to biotech, gene splicing, genetic engineering and such as absolute evils that he felt in conjunction with super computers would literally lead to the destruction of human life as we know it.

Thus the combination of the New York Times article on Johnson & Johnson pumping tens of millions of dollars into buying and expanding such companies plus funding research and the timing of the article, May 13 1982, is very compelling to me.

I am trying to put together specific examples of Ted's views on genetic engineering.

And just as Ted in his journals mentioned Texas sniper Charles Whitman, but never the Zodiac, who killed when Ted lived in the SF Bay area and shared his fascination with codes and bombs, I found Ted's reference to the Tylenol Murders to be another "dog that didn't bark" as Sherlock Holmes would say. He makes a vague reference to a "1982 event in which someone put potassium cyanide in Tylenol". You would think an innocent Ted would know about an event of economic terrorism against a company he clearly would have hated, plus it happened right around his family home. I also find it slightly curious that he acts like he knows nothing about the case yet knows it was "potassium" cyanide that was used.
akwilks

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates