The 1982 - 1986 Tylenol Murders and Unabomber Ted Kaczynski

Re: Tylenol Murders 1982 & 86 FBI Seeks Unabomber Kaczynski DNA

Postby akwilks on Fri May 20, 2011 3:57 pm

CBS News is reporting that the FBI has only a minimal interest in Kaczynski as a suspect, they just want to "rule him out", so that if and when a prosecution is launched against someone else, that person won't be able to raise Kaczynski as an alternate suspect.

But ABC News, Chicago Tribune, New York Times and most other media outlets are saying the FBI has a real interest in Kaczynski as a Tylenol suspect, the focus is shifting to him and they are now seeking a court order to compel a DNA draw on Kaczynski.

Also, a very small but perhaps very important detail. Prior to now, I had only heard reports that the FBI found a smudge that contained DNA on a tainted bottle. Thus I was hopeful this could be DNA from the killer, but it seemed equally possible it could be DNA from a store clerk, shipper or browsing customer.

But this report sourced from the Chicago Tribune and printed in the Sacramento Bee says:

"It's unclear exactly what partial DNA evidence the FBI is looking to compare with Kaczynski's genetic material. One retired supervisor suggested FBI technicians may have been able to extract DNA from a fingerprint smudge found on a pill inside one of the contaminated bottles."

http://www.sacbee.com/2011/05/19/364103 ... lenol.html

If that is true, then it seems to me far more likely that the DNA actually came from the killer. Since the victims would have been fingerprinted for elimination purposes, who else would have touched an actual pill INSIDE the bottle? Not a sales clerk, shipper or browsing customer. Perhaps someone at the factory?

But it seems most likely it would be the person who opened the capsules and filled them with cyanide. Perhaps even using a bit of saliva on finger to seal the capsule? Or perhaps it is other fluids like sweat, or the killer touched his nose or mouth before touching the capsule.

I am now even more interested to see what happens!
akwilks

Postby Doug on Fri May 20, 2011 4:14 pm

AK, in my opinion, Kaczynski's response was very "weasly" in terms of what he said and how he said it. It's a stark contrast with his response to being accused of the Unabomber crimes, in which he simply shut up and refused to talk about them.

Kaczynski claims that there "may be" elements within his writings that will alibi him, but I can't help but believe that if that were the case, the FBI wouldn't be bothering with him.

Incidentally, I was very disappointed with the article in the Daily Herald. Very small beer compared to what I was led to expect.
Doug
Site Admin

Postby akwilks on Fri May 20, 2011 4:29 pm

Doug I agree. Ted seems to go out of his way to say that his DNA may match this Tylenol DNA, but not to worry about that, he is still innocent. And does he really think that if he has a diary that says "September 27, 1982 - Gee I went for a walk in the Montana woods today", that will be enough to clear him? I may have to find that research that you, Drew, Ricardo, myself and others did about the possible coded messages in his diary, and how his account of what happened to him at the time of the Jay Mitchell poisoning doesn't match weather records for Montana. Ted indicates in his diary he was camping in Montana, but what he describes is not consistent with weather reports found by Drew for that day.

The Daily Herald article is a good start anyway. At least she interviewed us and printed our names and comments, and points out we were the first to research this and contact the FBI. My main research article is 55,000 words, it is a lot to go through. I have sent the reporter some new information as well. Hopefully this is just a start and she will follow up with a more detailed article as she reads more of our work.

The Chicago Daily Herald is a smaller paper that covers the Chicago suburbs. Maybe it will get picked up by the Chicago Tribune and Sacramento Bee.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011 ... 705199967/

By Jamie Sotonoff and Deborah Donovan

FBI wants to test Unabomber DNA in Tylenol killings

Could the Unabomber and the Tylenol killer — who both left victims across the suburbs — be the same person?

The Federal Bureau of Investigations wants DNA from Evergreen Park native Theodore Kaczynski, the so-called Unabomber imprisoned for life for killing three people. The agency won’t say why, but Kaczynski, in a court filing, said the FBI wants to determine if he was responsible for the 1982 Tylenol poisonings. He denies any involvement in the Tylenol case. Seven people died in three days when cyanide-filled capsules were put into Extra Strength Tylenol bottles on retail store shelves in Cook and DuPage counties. The deaths triggered a massive product recall, widespread consumer panic and new standards for tamper-proof product packaging.

Killed were Mary Kellerman, 12, of Elk Grove Village; Adam Janus of Arlington Heights; Stanley Janus of Lisle, the brother of Adam; Theresa Janus of Lisle, Stanley’s wife; Mary McFarland of Elmhurst; Paula Prince of Chicago and Mary Reiner of Winfield.

Chicago FBI spokeswoman Cynthia Yates confirmed Thursday that the agency asked for Kaczynski’s DNA, saying he is among “numerous individuals” from whom the FBI wants samples. She would not provide details about any of the others.

Kaczynski’s initial bomb targets were in the Chicago area, with two bombs exploding at Northwestern University in Evanston in 1978 and 1979; one placed on a United Airlines jet leaving O’Hare International Airport in 1979, forcing an emergency landing; and another exploding at the Lake Forest home of United Airlines’ president in 1980.

Kaczynski disclosed the DNA request in court papers in an effort to stop an auction of his belongings, now in progress. The 68-year-old former mathematics professor also wrote in his motion: “I have never even possessed any potassium cyanide.”

Kaczynski’s attorney, John Balasz, said he’s “completely convinced” Kaczynski had no involvement in the Tylenol case and thinks the FBI wants his DNA only so they can definitively rule him out as a suspect.

Kaczynski has refused to voluntarily give the sample, and in the motion filed over his belongings, said he’d be willing to go to court over it.

The FBI collected DNA samples from Kaczynski after his arrest, but that material “might have degraded to the point that it is not usable,” said Ross Rice with the FBI in Chicago. “It’s always best to have a current sample.”

Kaczynski wants to keep certain items taken from his cabin in 1996, including journals he says could prove his whereabouts in 1982 and other evidence that could clear him in the Tylenol case.

Kaczynski grew up in Evergreen Park before enrolling at Harvard University at age 16. After graduating he lived in Michigan and California, then returned to suburban Chicago in 1972 and used his family’s Lombard address to acquire an Illinois driver’s license. He surrendered that license for one in Montana in 1973, but renewed his Illinois license in 1978.

In 1996, Kaczynski was arrested at a remote Montana cabin and charged with sending 16 mail bombs that killed three people and injured 23 others.

“I don’t know how strong of a suspect he is, but based on his past, I can see why the FBI is doing this as a process of elimination,” said Arlington Heights Police Cmdr. Kenneth Galinski, whose department has an officer assigned to work with the FBI on the Tylenol case.

Despite national hysteria, intense media attention and what was initially a 140-member police task force, the Tylenol killer was never found and investigators said the trail was cold.

Thursday’s news marks the first time in decades the FBI has put the spotlight on someone other than James Lewis, the Boston man widely believed to be the killer.

Lewis spent 12 years in jail for extortion after he sent Johnson & Johnson, the maker of Tylenol, a letter demanding $1 million to “stop the killing.” He has denied any responsibility in the cyanide poisonings.

“I would certainly think he is still a person of interest,” Galinski said. “I don’t know if the FBI has learned everything they want to know about him.”

Dozens of different theories about suspects have circulated over the years, pointing to everyone from Johnson & Johnson’s competitors to Roger Arnold (now deceased), a convicted killer who worked at Jewel’s distribution facility in Melrose Park.

True crime author Douglas Oswell and researcher A.K. Wilks are among those who always suspected the Unabomber was connected to the case. They shared their research with the FBI and published it online.

Wilks said he emailed the FBI after the 2009 raid of Lewis’ home, when he “thought they might be going down the wrong road,” and ended up speaking at length with two different FBI agents. He also contacted authorities suggesting they stop the auction of Kaczynski’s items, because he thought they might contain valuable evidence.

“The fact that (the FBI) called me twice made me somewhat hopeful,” said Wilks. “If the authorities give it a serious look, that’s all you can ask for.”

“If I were on a jury right now, I couldn’t convict him. But if I was a cop right now, I’d have to be brain-dead not to be interested in him,” said Oswell, who lives in Delaware and describes himself as “an ordinary Joe” fascinated by criminal psychology.

Helen Jensen of Arlington Heights doesn’t know who committed the Tylenol murders. But the former nurse, who accompanied investigators to the Kellerman home on the day the girl died, said she hopes this latest news isn’t a dead end like so many before. She still occasionally talks to the victim’s grandmother and said her “whole family was destroyed by it.”

“It sure would be nice to finally get some end to the whole thing, for the people that are survivors,” Jensen said.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011 ... z1Mvjgrgk0
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Sat May 21, 2011 12:36 pm

Ted mentioned the Tylenol DNA issue in his legal motion as a way to stop the auction. He does not want his writings exposed to the world, for personal reasons and perhaps because they have clues or hints of other crimes (IMO perhaps Zodiac).

Ted had 3 times REFUSED to give his DNA to the Tylenol investigators. The FBI is now seeking a court order to get it.

In his motion Ted says his DNA may "by chance" match the partial DNA profile in the Tylenol case, but he could still be innocent as "1 to 3 to 5%" of the population could match. He wants to retain his journal to use in his defense if prosecuted for the Tylenol Murders.

Ted saying 5% of the population could match a partial DNA proifile is only true if that profile has just ONE marker. And actually, if I understand it correctly, I would "guesstimate" that the partial DNA profile the FBI has in Tylenol would likely have at least 4 markers, and therefor would that eliminate over 99.9% of the population as a donor. I am still trying to nail that down, so far no luck.

I can't get a straight answer from the FBI or anyone else as to how serious they are about other suspects vs. Kaczynski vs. Lewis. Media reports differ. No doubt the FBI keeps all options open at this point. Hopefully we will know within a week or two if there is a match to Ted.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011 ... /705219964

Unabomber’s parents lived in Lombard at time of Tylenol deaths

By Jake Griffin

Convicted “Unabomber” Ted Kaczynski’s parents were still living in their DuPage County home at the time of the 1982 Tylenol poisonings that killed seven people, including five who also lived or consumed the cyanide-laced medicine there.

Kaczynski’s brother David said Friday his parents were still in their Lombard home at the time of the poisonings.

“I’m trying to remember if Ted was visiting home,” David Kaczynski wrote in an email to the Daily Herald. “I don’t think so, but I’m not sure. Of course, he could have been in the area without our knowledge.”

David Kaczynski declined to comment further about recent reports that the FBI was seeking his brother’s DNA to test for any links to the Tylenol poisoning case that has gone unsolved for almost 30 years.

“I’m way out of the loop about the Tylenol investigation,” David Kaczynski wrote.

In the Tylenol poisonings, authorities determined the bottles were tampered with after purchase. They surmised the suspect would purchase the bottles at Chicago-area stores, add a cyanide compound to the pills and then put the bottles back on store shelves for purchase.

In September 1982, an Elk Grove Village 12-year-old named Mary Kellerman was the first to die after ingesting poisoned Extra Strength Tylenol. Three people — Adam Janus, Stanley Janus and Theresa Janus — ingested capsules from the same bottle in Lisle and died. Mary McFarland of Elmhurst, Mary Reiner of Winfield and Paula Prince of Chicago also were killed. Investigators later found three other tampered bottles.

The case led to major overhauls of safety packaging for over-the-counter medications and sparked federal anti-tampering laws.

Authors and independent investigators have long pointed the finger at Ted Kaczynski as having a possible link to the Tylenol case, but until this week, it appeared federal authorities weren’t giving the allegations much credence.

Ted Kaczynski was born in the South suburb of Evergreen Park and grew up there before heading to Harvard University at age 16. He used his parents’ Lombard address to obtain an Illinois driver’s license in 1972 and 1978. He had been living in Montana between that time period and returned to his remote cabin after receiving the second license.

Ted Kaczynski was arrested at his sparse Montana cabin in 1996 and charged with sending 16 mail bombs that killed three people and injured 23 others dating back to 1978. He was convicted and sentenced to life in prison.

The initial bomb targets were in the Chicago area, with two bombs exploding at Northwestern University in Evanston in 1978 and 1979. Two more bombs had Chicago connections over the nearly 20-year bombing spree. Authorities dubbed their suspect the Unabomber.

Ted Kaczynski was eventually linked to the crimes due to the infamous “Unabomber Manifesto” he demanded be published by major newspapers. In the end, it was his brother David who alerted authorities to writing-style similarities between the manifesto and his older brother’s writings.

David Kaczynski turned over much of the $1 million reward money he received to his brother’s victims and their families. David Kaczynski is now the executive director of New Yorkers for Alternatives to the Death Penalty. He also contributes opinion pieces to New York newspapers, has published essays and poems and lectures across the country.

Read more: http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2011 ... z1N0Yt67KE

AK = Though Kaczynski could have come and left the Chicago area without notice or detection by staying in a motel, there is some evidence he was in the area in the fall of 1982. While Kaczynski had a cabin in Montana that he was still developing, he lived and worked in the Chicago area in parts of 1978 and 1979. He did do bombings while he was there, including placing the bomb on the jet in 1979. And a neighbor named Roy Froberg told the Washington Post in an article printed on April 5, 1996 that Ted had last visited his family in Lombard "about 15 years ago", which would have been in or around 1981 or 1982.
Last edited by akwilks on Sat May 21, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
akwilks

Postby Doug on Sat May 21, 2011 1:25 pm

Here's what Dave told the FBI in 1996:
DAVE's memory of that time was extremely vague, but he seemed to remember that TED once drove DAVE's car to Montana and that he brought the car back to Chicago. DAVE could not recall the date, or recall an approximate time period. DAVE also had a vague, dream-like recollection of TED returning from Montana to Chicago for a visit. He thought that it could have been in 1979, or 1980, or conceivably at some later date. DAVE could not provide more specific details as to those vague memories.”

Incidentally, I don't think it impossible that the authorities might already have gotten a DNA sample from the prison authorities and will use it as probable cause in seeking a court order for a formal sample that can be used as evidence. If that's so, they might already have him pegged as the Tylenol Killer. All of that, however, is pure speculation.

So far as probabilities are concerned, I think Ted is talking about earlier technology where DQ-Alpha alleles were involved. There was actually a Unabomb suspect whose DQ-Alpha matched Ted's, but he was eliminated as a Unabomber suspect on the basis of his known location. That technology is no longer being used.
Doug
Site Admin

Re: The 1982 - 1986 Tylenol Murders and Unabomber Ted Kaczynski

Postby linda on Sat May 21, 2011 5:34 pm

I think you are right, Doug... I think that the FBI has a good suspicion that Ted is involved. They're pursuing this now pretty diligently and they appear to have Ted uneasy. They just may have compared something they have of Ted's to the partial they have on their evidence...and it's not coming up a negative...and they want that pure, clean sample to confirm what they think they already know... Again, speculation, but hmmmm....
linda

Postby linda on Sun May 22, 2011 5:41 am

Doug or AK....

Do you know if it has ever been determined if all of the bottles that were tainted may have been purchased by the killer at the same time? If so, I'm not wondering if the tainted ones could possibly be traced by their date stamps/coding to a particular store or location where those specific bottles may have been purchased. Tracking this might give an additional clue as to another location that may be familiar to the killer (i.e. say he purchased them out-of-state - for instance... Montana)...

Thoughts?
linda

Postby Doug on Sun May 22, 2011 3:33 pm

They were able to trace the packages back to the factories where they were produced, using the lot numbers. I don't believe, however, that they were able to trace them to the place of retail purchase. Apparently the manufacturers record lots going to distributors, but once at the distributor they can go pretty much anywhere. I would think they might have been able to narrow it down to region; I'll have to check my resources again when I get a chance and see if that's so.
Doug
Site Admin

Postby akwilks on Mon May 23, 2011 1:58 am

Based on information from this website, a Chicago ABC affiliate reporter asked FBI spokesperson Ross Rice if the DNA obtained from Ted Kaczynski would also be checked against possible suspect DNA in the case of the Zodiac Killer. Mr. Ross said "no", that any DNA obtained from Kaczynski would only be checked against DNA in the Tylenol case.

First, as a general rule, what law enforcement says in public does not always match what is done in private. Law enforcement does not have to publicly announce everything it does, so that the subjects of criminal investigations will be aware of that they will do.

Second, I mentioned the possible connection to the Zodiac case, via Kaczynski, to the FBI agents on the Tylenol Task Force in the Chicago FBI Office. They explained to me that they had no jurisdiction over that case, as it was a murder case with the SFPD and other local PD's having primary jurisdiction, with the California FBI having a secondary role of assistance in some specific matters.

I have been in communication with several investiagtors on the Zodiac case and other unsolved couples murder cases, and they are aware of the developments concerning the FBI Tylenol Task Force request for DNA from Kaczynski, and I can say they know how to proceed from here. I can also say they do want to compare the DNA of Ted Kaczynski. There are detailed and complex laws and rules dealing with DNA sharing between agencies. I can state that while it may take a bit of time, I think that eventually the DNA from Ted Kaczynski will be compared to the possible suspect DNA in the Zodiac case and DNA from other unsolved murders of couples in California.

Third, current federal law requires a DNA draw from ALL federal prisoners and that DNA from ALL federal prisoners be entered into the national DNA computer datatbank called CODIS. Once DNA is in CODIS, it can instantly be compared with the crime scene DNA from thousands of unsolved cases.

----- ----- -----

THE CYANIDE TYLENOL DEATH NEAR THE WYOMING/MONTANA BORDER

Jay Mitchell, age 19, of Sheridan, Wyoming, dies of cyanide poisoning on July 26, 1982. The coroner reported he had the exact same level of Cyanide in his body as the Chicago area victims. Though he had no Tylenol in his body, it is known that the killer emptied all of the Tylenol product out of the poisoned capsules before he put in the cyanide. The victim's family states he did take Tylenol just before his death, and that it was probably purchased at the local Jewel-Osco outlet in Sheridan, which is located on I-90, right by the Wyoming - Montana border.

What is also interesting is that the highway bus route from the Kaczynski cabin in Lincoln, Montana to the Chicago area, I-90, happens to run right through Sheridan, Wyoming. In his journal Kaczynski mentioned not wanting to commit any major crimes in Montana because people might remember him riding the bus the day that a murder in the state happened. Kaczynski would note the results of his actual bombings to learn how to do it better. If he wanted to do a "test run" to see if the Cyanide filled Tylenol capsules actually worked, but wanted a victim outside the state of Montana, Sheridan Wyoming is the first town across the border on the way to Chicago on I-90.

There was also a strange incident at a Howard Johnsons motel parking lot in suburban Chicago, right off the same I-90 freeway that links Montana to Wyoming to Chicago. On September 28, 1982, numerous boxes and bottles of Tylenol were found by two police officers, along with a pile of white powder. The officers got sick with moderately serious symptoms of Cyanide poisoning by skin contact. This may have been the spot where the Tylenol Killer filled many of the capsules with Cyanide, and it happened right off the I-90.

If the death of Jay Mitchell was the work of the Tylenol Killer, as seems highly likely, than the Tylenol Killer is likely to be an intelligent, angry anti-corporate technically skilled loner with ties to both the Chicago area and the Wyoming - Montana area. Kaczynski would clearly fit this profile.
Attachments
Howard Johnson With Tylenol Capsules And Cyanide In Parking Lot Right On I 90 Freeway.jpg
The Howard Johnsons Where Tylenol Capsules and Probable Cyanide Were Found is the "L" Shaped Building in the Lower Left Corner, it is Right on the I - 90 Freeway, Which Goes From Montana to Sheridan Wyoming to Chicago
Howard Johnson With Tylenol Capsules And Cyanide In Parking Lot Right On I 90 Freeway.jpg (56.83 KiB) Viewed 3936 times
akwilks

Postby Doug on Mon May 23, 2011 8:59 am

Kaczynski didn't necessarily need to take a bus; he could have rented a car, as he was known to have done on occasion while in Montana. I'm still bemused about the Tylenol capsules in the parking lot. Might that have been a red herring? And why would the police have bothered to pick them up?
Doug
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to News and Updates