The 1982 - 1986 Tylenol Murders and Unabomber Ted Kaczynski

Re: The 1982 - 1986 Tylenol Murders and Unabomber Ted Kaczynski

Postby akwilks on Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:52 am

Hmm...

The Chicago Sun Times said James Lewis was the focus of a potential grand jury. His DNA was obtained in Jan 2010 and did not match.

Kaczynski refused to give DNA in May 2011 and IF that proceeded in court under seal could have been resolved in EARLY 2012.

Six months ago the FBI started swabbing police and techs from the 1982 case for DNA, something that might be done when they have a match to a suspect.

CBS CHICAGO mentions Kaczynski several times in their grand jury story and quotes FBI spokeman Ross Rice as saying 'samples' of DNA found in 1982 are being compared to 'known offenders in the Illinois database'.

I dont know what he means by database but Ted is an 'known Illinois offender' with a family home within 25 minutes of all the tampering sites.

Are the FBI and local authorities really continuing the pointless pursuit of an innocent man, James Lewis, or are they actually looking seriously at Ted Kaczynski? Why are they now swabbing police and evidence techs? Routine, or something else?
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:22 am

Luke68 wrote:Ted admitted himself that prior to his 'Eureka' moment (seeing the earth movers ripping up the land) and becoming a pipe bomber, he engaged in some 'monkey wrenching'.
We know from this essay (written by Ted in 1971) http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Unnamed_Essay_(1971) that the technological and scientific threat to civil liberty was fully developed in his mind.

The question is, what is monkey wrenching in Ted's mind in relation to scientific research and technological progress? Based on the fact he was trying to blow up planes, I would scarcely believe he was merely pulling off a few pranks here and there. It must have been something relatively serious. If not the Tylenol lacing then what else?

In the essay above, Ted makes specific reference to drugs and to genetics. His initial rally cry is against 'scientific research'. Agree, this continued as a theme throughout, however the technological aspect took precedence later on.

So again, what monkey wrenching relative to what Ted was capable of and directed to the scientific and or research areas did he get up to before making and sending bombs? For me anyway, that's a rhetorical question.

I think you are right Luke. And it goes to the key point of MOTIVE.

In Ted's beloved state of Montana, there had been several major spills of CYANIDE by a mining company, which poisoned ponds and water wells, killed plants and trees, and killed sheep and elk.

Keep that in mind for the method of using CYANIDE as a means of revenge to paralyse the national economy.

Now, why select Johnson & Johnson?

Thanks to PhillyTechNews and our member DREW for finding this very important item.

With Johnson & Johnson spending tens of millions of dollars to buy and expand BIOTECH and GENETIC ENGINEERING companies, and fund RESEARCH at such companies, he may well have thought it would fit his goals to essentially sink or cripple the Johnson & Johnson Company. Or at least, as he often put it, "get my revenge on the technological society."

This article apppears in May 1982, and in late July 1982 we have the Tylenol Cyanide death of Jay Mitchell in Sheridan, Wyoming, just across the Montana border from where Ted Kaczynski lived.

And in September 1982 the Tylenol Murders cause a $100 Million direct loss to J & J because of the massive recall and huge drop in sales. The Tylenol Murders also caused a $1 Billion plunge in J & J stock. No doubt this financial disaster severely set back any future plans J & J had for buy and expanding biotech and genetic engineering companies, or funding their research.

Don't we have examples of Ted Kaczynski reading the NY Times to select targets? Yes, apparently the FBI thought it likely based on the timing of articles that Ted used the NY Times to target McConnell, Epstein and Gerlenter, probably Mosser, and perhaps others.

Didn't Ted Kaczynski send a bomb to Dr. Charles Epstein, a GENETIC ENGINEER? Yes he did.

Didn't Ted Kaczynski write in his Manifesto and elsewhere about what he felt were the extreme dangers associated with BIOTECH and GENETIC ENGINEERING?

Yes in his 1971 essay it was a dominant concern even back then.

See http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Unnamed_Essay_(1971)

"The power of society to control the individual person has recently been expanding very rapidly, and is expected to expand even more rapidly in the near future. Let us list a few of the more ominous developments as a reminder.

4. Direct physical control of the emotions via electrodes and "chemitrodes" inserted in the brain. (See Jose M.R. Delgado's book "Physical Control of the Mind.")
5. Biofeedback training, after the manner of Joseph Kamiya and others.
6. Predicted "memory pills" or other drugs designed to improve memory or increase intelligence.
(The reader possibly assumes that items (5) and (6) present no danger to freedom because their use is supposed to be voluntary, but I will argue that point later. See page 1-15.)
7. Predicted genetic engineering, eugenics, related techniques.

Observe that once a society based on psychological, genetic, and other forms of human engineering has come into being, it will presumably last forever, because people will all be engineered to favor human engineering and the totally collective society, so that they will never become dissatisfied with this kind of society. Furthermore, once human engineering, the linking of human minds with computers, and other things of that nature have come into extensive use, people will probably be altered so much that it will no longer be possible for them to exist as independent beings, either physically or psychologically"

And in section "2" of the Unabomber Manifesto, right at the start, Ted says the industrial-technological system will permanently reduce "human beings and other living organisms to engineered products and mere cogs in the social machine." (Emphasis added). In his April 24, 1995 letter to the NY Times Ted stated "The people we are out to get are the scientists and engineers, especially in critical fields like computers and genetics." (emphasis added). And there are multiple references throughout his writing to the extreme dangers of the biotech and genetics fields.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:15 am

Not sure what this means, but it seems the FBI will no longer be the leader of the Tylenol Murders Task Force. They will continue to "assist" but the investigation will now be led by local police. In a way this seems like bad news, as local police do not have the resources of the FBI. But it seems that most of the FBI was focused on James Lewis, to the exclusion of every other suspect. In fact they hatched an asinine scheme to have him write a novel about the case and then use that to entrap him. So maybe the FBI taking a back seat could be good. Someone in the FBI was apparently convinced by the research I did to ask for Ted Kaczynski's DNA. Two different FBI agents called me on the phone after I submitted the evidence pointing to possible Unabomber involvement in the Tylenol Murders. But he/she/they seem to have been in the minority, and the follow up, if any, is unclear. But overall this seems like bad news, that they are more or less putting it on the back burner.

This article and others say that the FBI actually got DNA from Kaczynski in 2011, but they do not provide any quotes or factual cites to that effect. They asked him for DNA and he refused. It was then said they would seek a court order. No subsequent news articles actually confirmed that the DNA was obtained, and nothing showed up on public court dockets indicating an order to get DNA. So it is still not clear to me if they ever actually got his DNA.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/09/28/ch ... -30-years/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loca ... 1625.story
akwilks

Postby KITE on Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:56 am

Wasn't there a possible journal entry from Ted Kaczynski, for late summer 1982, with the words: An Ugly Tangle Of Limbs?
Interestingly, if I'm not mistaken, there is a numbers-for-letters match with:
UGLY TANGLE OF=145
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS=145
KITE

Postby akwilks on Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:52 pm

That is interesting. Normally you would not expect a killer to have double and triple meanings in his codes and clues, but with TK, it is different. He seemed to do it as the Unabomber and there is evidence he may have done it as Zodiac.

For those new to the case or new to the board, this is what Kite is referencing, I think some of these were first noticed and worked on by Doug, Ricardo, Linda, Kite and myself:

It is true that Kaczynski does not mention the Tylenol incident in his journals which record his bombings. He does mention that certain incidents will not be recorded in his journal, but rather accounts of them have been buried or burned, because they would be "very bad PR". Considering that a 12 year old girl was the first Tylenol victim, and the killings provoked mass outrage, these may have been acts that Kaczynski realized he would not want to be directly associated with, as he built his reputation as a political terrorist and anti-technology activist with his later, more targeted attacks.

There are however two cryptic messages, and though both may be simple coincidences, I will mention them. The first is a Kaczynski journal entry labeled "late summer 1982" and "September". Keep in mind that summer ends September 23-24, and the Chicago area bottles were thought to have been placed just after that time, around the 26th to 28th. Kaczynski also constructed elaborate codes to disguise some of his writings. And his brother David said Ted loved to create "puns" and play "word games". In the journal Kaczynski records witnessing an accident in late summer September 1982 involving horses (and there is no proof such an accident ever really happened) that resulted in "an ugly tangle of limbs". Look again at that phrase, with certain letters that I will highlight:

an ugly tangle of limbs
an ugLYTaNgLEOf LImbs
LYT N LEO LI

It can read "TYLENOL IL". Tylenol, Illinois, end of summer, September 1982.

Also, knowing that Kaczynski loved seeing his words in the newspaper, consider that "CYANIDE TYLENOL" when spelled backwards creates, exactly, "LONELY TED IN A YC". Of course this could be a complete coincidence, but the killer did select both cyanide and Tylenol, and those words appeared on front pages across the country. Kaczynski often complained of being lonely and unloved. "IN A YC" could mean a Yellow Cab (Zodiac?), a yellow car or the Yorktown Center (where a Tylenol victim worked).

The five letters that make up "IN A YC" all also appear in the name KACZYNSKI; in fact the only letters missing are KZSK.

Giving us "LONELY TED _AC_YN__I".
akwilks

Postby KITE on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:55 am

Yeah, I'd have to say that the close proximity of a possible anagram or anagrams is interesting, in my opinion:

Ugly Tangle Of=145
Chicago, Illinois=145

Those are numbers-for-letters. For example: (ZODIAC=58) Z(26)+O(15)+D(4)+I(9)+A(1)+C(3)=58

But what if (LIMBS) was a possible continuation of a numbers-for-letters (and word association) coded (of sorts) journal entry by Kaczynski?

Of course, I'm not accusing Kaczynski of anything, but possibly he wanted to mask his travels for whatever reason? In fact, I don't know all that much about Kaczynski's journals so I could be mistaken on any possible conjecture. Anyway:

LIMBS, if I'm not mistaken, has a numbers-for letters of 55.
LIMBS has the same first three letters as LIMIT
Perhaps there's a word and numbers-for-letters association with LIMBS-LIMIT and a speed limit of 55?

In other words:
Ugly Tangle Of=145, Chicago, Illinois=145
LIMBS=55 associated to a speed LIMIT of 55

Possible word association and numbers-for-letters code for UGLY TANGLE OF(145) LIMBS(55):

Drove(55) to Chicago, Illinois(145)? and, if I'm not mistaken, that was a journal entry for Late Summer 1982?

But also LIMBS has a similar letter placement with LOMBARD, in my opinon, and also LIMBS, if I'm not mistaken, can be word associated to wood(tree limbs?)?
KITE

Previous

Return to News and Updates