The Case For Kaczynski As The Zodiac

Re: The Case For Kaczynski As The Zodiac

Postby KITE on Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:15 am

For goodness sake, this Vowel-Consonant analysis I've been doing lately is a vexing conundrum and so very confusing to someone who is supposed to be as smart as I am and wise to the ways of wily cipher semantics. How 'bouta cipher-induced modern day launching of a 1000 sheets of paper into the trash can? No, no, kitty, get out of the can, for there only tatters of papers to be found there. I think I will surely need a break from this Vowel-Consonant analysis of mine.
How 'Bouta Vacation!
KITE

Postby akwilks on Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:18 pm

IMO some of the most overwhelming evidence is the many, many shared words, phrases and handwriting styles of Zodiac and Kaczynski. Take a little time and read what follows, an edited presentation of some of the strongest matches.

A COMPARISON OF SHARED WORD USAGE, PHRASES AND STYLES BY THE ZODIAC AND KACZYNSKI (MOSTLY BY DOUG OSWELL AND A FEW BY AK WILKS)

Z = Zodiac K = Kaczynski/Unabomber

Z = I hope you enjoy your selves when I have my Blast. Jolly Roger Card.

K = For these reasons, I want to get my revenge in one big blast. GX18-2003F, p. 11.

Z = At the moment the children are safe from the bomb because it is so massive to dig in & the triger mech requires much work to get it adjusted just right. Belli Letter, 1969.

K = Its no fun having to spend all your evenings and weekends preparing dangerous mixtures, filing trigger mechanisms out of scraps of metal .... New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = I gave the cops som bussy work to do to keep them happy. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = This seems to us a thoroughly contemptible way for the human race to end up, and we doubt that many people would find fulfilling lives in such pointless busy-work. Unabomber Manifesto, 1995.

Z = This is the murderer of the 2 teenagers last Christmass at Lake Herman & the girl on the 4th of July near the golf course in Vallejo. To prove I killed them I shall state some facts which only I & the police know. Three-Part Cipher, 1969.

K = To prove that we are the ones who planted the bomb at U. Of Cal. last May we will mention a few details that could be known only to us and the FBI who investigated the incident. S.F. Examiner Letter, 1985.

Z = The police shall never catch me, because I have been too clever for them. Seven-Page letter, 1969.

K = And it doesn't appear that the FBI is going to catch us any time soon. New York Times letter, 1995.

Z = 2 cops pulled a goof. Seven-Page letter, 1969.

K = The FBI is a joke. New York Times letter, 1995.

Z = As of yet I have left no fingerprints behind me contrary to what the police say. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = Contrary to what the FBI has suggested, our bombing at the California Forestry Association was in no way inspired by the Oklahoma City bombing. New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = This is the murderer of the 2 teenagers last Christmass ... July 31, 1969 Letter (Chronicle).
This is the Zodiac speaking. Numerous correspondences, 1969 through 1971.

K = This is a message from the terrorist group FC. New York Times Letter, April 24, 1995.
This is a message from FC. Tom Tyler Letter, June 30, 1995.

Z = I promised to punish them if they did not comply, by anilating a full School Buss. But now school is out for the summer, so I punished them in another way. Mt. Diablo Letter, 1970.

K = The people who are pushing all this growth and progress garbage deserve to be severely punished. New York Times Letter, 1995.

Z = By the way it could be rather messy if you try to bluff me. Seven-Page Letter, 1969.

K = A special case of Theorem (b) was proved (in effect) in [6, proof of Theorem 6] by means of a rather messy lemma. T.J. Kaczynski. Boundary Functions and Sets of Curvilinear Convergence for Continuous Functions. Transactions of the American Mathematical Society, Vol. 141 (Jul., 1969), 107-125, p. 124.

Z = [Called a violent movie] "deplorable".

K = [Called OKC bombing] "deplorable".

The ones above are some that I considered most compelling and a few of my own. The entire list and analysis by Doug Oswell is excellent and can be seen here:

http://www.unazod.com/style.html

I do think the shared word usage of Kaczynski and Zodiac is remarkable, and totally unlike what we see in any other Z suspect. No other Z suspect has anything approaching the number of matches.

---------------------------------
(Found by JEM.)

Zodiac 408 Code: DANGEROUE
Unabomber Code: YESTERDAE

Both Zodiac and Kaczynski have a code in which in order to increase difficulty of solution they change the last consonant (S, Y) in a word to the vowel "E".
----------------------

In the Bates confession letter, it says "This letter should be published for all to read it. It just might save that girl in the alley. BUT THAT WILL BE UP TO YOU. IT WILL BE ON YOUR CONSCIENCE, NOT MINE".

In the Kaczynski Utah letter it says "When I contact my new friend summer of 1988 and he tells me you have kept your nose clean you will have nothing to fear. IN OTHER WORDS, YOUR FATE IS IN YOUR OWN HANDS."

In both letters, the criminal puts the responsibility to the reader "That will be up to you" and "Your fate is in your own hands". The criminal tells the reader what to do "publish this letter" and "keep your nose clean". If they don't the threat is there for more murders, but it is up to the reader.

Very unusual, very specific and very similar.

We all know that Ted Kaczynski eluded capture as the Unabomber for 18 years, and that the FBI had a 25,000 name suspect list that did not include his name. But Ted Kaczynski's downfall, what led to his capture, was that he used certain very specific and odd words and phrases that virtually no one else used. David Kaczynski recognized these words and phrases used by the Unabomber as ones that his brother Ted had used. This included the phrase "cool headed logician." It also included Ted's unique phrasing of the old cliche "You can't have your cake and eat it too" as "You can't eat your cake and have it too."

Similarly, when we look at the words and phrases of the Zodiac, many very specific and unusual, we see that Ted Kaczynski often used these exact same odd words and phrases. This first example was discussed first by Doug Oswell, Linda and Kite, but I don't think it has been examined in depth.

Six months after the abduction and presumed murder of Nevada resident Donna Lass, the Zodiac sent in a card thought to hint at her murder. The card included the very odd phrase "AROUND IN THE SNOW". The card seems to imply that the dead body of Donna Lass can be found AROUND IN THE SNOW.

The phrase is odd. Normally we might expect to hear that a body is "IN THE SNOW", or "ON THE SNOW", or "OUT IN THE SNOW".

Thus the term "AROUND IN THE SNOW" is very unusual. [Patinky and others have said this term is used in Kentucky].

In his new book Technological Slavery, on page 400, Ted Kaczynski discusses hunting rabbits and states that after shooting a rabbit it can be found bouncing "AROUND IN THE SNOW."

Both the Zodiac and Ted Kaczynski use the odd term "AROUND IN THE SNOW" to refer to where a body may be found.

There are many, many other examples.

Zodiac: Police should have "sat there quietly waiting for me to come out of cover." Zodiac Stine Letter, October 13, 1969, to SF Chronicle.

Kaczynski: "I went down there and watched, from cover, a guy with a bulldozer...". Unabomber: The Secret Life of Ted Kaczynski, by Chris Waits and Dave Shors, p. 278.

Analysis: Both Zodiac and Kaczynski descibe hiding from and watching enemies behind forestry as from "cover", a military term.

Zodiac: "was a negro about 40 -45 rather shabbly dressed." Zodiac Letter of August 4, 1969, to SF Examiner.

Kaczynski: "their homes looked shabby". Technological Slavery, p. 397.

Zodiac: BE SURE TO PRINT the part I marked out on page 3 or I shall do my thing.

Kaczynski: BE SURE TO tell us where and how our material will be published and how long it will take to appear in PRINT once we have sent in the manuscript.

Both commented on their bounties.

Zodiac: 'I am mildly cerous as to how much money you have on my head now?' and 'What is the price tag now?'.

Kaczynski: '25,000 dollar reward offered. Rather flattering.'

People will tell me sometimes "Oh here is a person who said "rather messy", and sometimes I say "no longer", and someone else said "around in the snow". What is interesting is that both Zodiac and Ted Kaczynski used dozens and dozens of the same words and phrases, and some are not very common, like "rather messy", "around in the snow", "contrary to what police say", "evidence only I and police know", etc.

Some new finds by KITE:

I don't know if this has been brought up before or not but Kaczynski wrote, concerning the price of a Christmas card:

(I bet it doesn't cost them a nickel to print the damn thing.)

Zodiac wrote:
(When I hung the phone up the dam thing began to ring and that drew his attention to me and my car.)

Here's an interesting comparison between a Unabomber letter(4/24/95) and a Zodiac letter(11/9/69, 7 pages).
Zodiac: (I shall NO LONGER ANNOUNCE to anyone when I comitt my murders)
FC: Why do we ANNOUNCE our goals only now...
FC: Since we NO LONGER have to confine the explosive...

Thanks to GLURK and others who made an effort at transcription that seems very good! Broken into paragraphs by me for clarity, emphasis on "mildly attractive" added by me and any help on the few unknown words is appreciated.

Ted Kaczynski Journal:

"proved that my ego was serving a (unknown) over sex,
But this was a bitter and painful pride, because I wanted very
badly to have a girlfriend. Thus, I regretted afterward having been
cowed by a pretty girl.

The very strength of my desire for girls
made it much harder for me; I didn't find it hard to be friendly
with a girl whom I found only mildly attractive. But in any case, I
didn't understand when or how to **** ask for a date. In high
school. my personal situation was such that I learned *** nothing
about dating conventions, and, being Largeley isolated socially at Harvard,
I never understood any such information there, either.

Also, the fact that I had no interest in most of the common *****
entertainments meant that it was hard for me to think of any
place where I could ask a girl to go with me. Dancing
and (unknown) with *** utmost contempt.# Movies bored me.

I might add that, while some men seem proud of their sexual activities
with women and regard it as proof of their virility, I have
never looked upon sex ********** or the "conquest" of women
as something to be proud of. To me it is nothing to take pride
in any more than eating *** candy, watching television, or
any other soft pleasure.

On the contrary, I've always considered
sex a weakness. Thus, while pride and ego helped me to steel
my will to overcome, say, a mathematical problem, pride and ego
did not steel my will to overcome my shyness with girls.
Let me illustrate all this with a few examples. When
I first got to Harvard, there was a good-looking Miss Beer who used to"

---------------------------------
IMO the thinly disguised envy of the sexually active and the expressed dislike of sexual activity, of men who brag about their conquests and virility, fits PERFECTLY with the MO of the Zodiac killing young couples in spots known for making out or sex.

KITE noted some word and phrase matches to Zodiac.

Kaczynski using "MILDLY attractive", in my opinion, is a good stylistic comparison to Zodiac using "MILDLY cerous" [Zodiac My Name Is Letter/Code 1970].

Kaczynski, second page of FC (Ted Kaczynski) to Earth First letter: ...and COUPLED WITH THIS the trait of hypersensitivity....
Zodiac, Map Bomb Letter 1970: The Map COUPLED WITH THIS code will tell you where the bomb is set.

I noted that on the journal page discussing Harvard Ted uses the term "busy work" which was also used by Zodiac as giving the police some "busy work [Zodiac Stine Letter, 1969].

And I noted the following from the Ellen poems and letter. Ted makes reference to "fat ass", a term he also used in a letter to a former employer, while Zodiac said the police better get off their "fat asses" if they want to catch him [Zodiac, LA Times letter, 1971].

Ted also uses the word "nasty", which Zodiac used in saying he would do something "nasty" [Zodiac Exorcist Letter 1974].

-------------------------------------------

ImageImageImage
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Wed May 06, 2015 2:40 pm

Thanks to SEAGULL for passing along these documents to me. A lot of good printing from Ted here, so it is very well suited for handwriting comparisons to Zodiac. I will have all the pages posted later, and make some comparisons to Z handwriting. But right off from the start, a bird that flies near the ocean noticed that Kaczynski's description at top of page 5, sixth line down, of wasting time "hew and haw and fiddle around" is very similar to Zodiac's description of the police wasting time "fiddle and fart around " in LA Times letter!

ImageImage
akwilks

Previous

Return to The Zodiac Case