A Fresh Look At The Solution Unsolved 18 From Zodiac Code

Re: A Fresh Look At The Unsolved 18

Postby akwilks on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:23 pm

This illustrates how a Caesar shift code works.
Attachments
Caesar Code Shift Illustrated.jpg
Caesar Code Shift Illustrated.jpg (30.16 KiB) Viewed 2584 times
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:59 pm

So what happens if we apply a Caesar Code analysis as explained above to the unsolved 18 from the first Zodiac Code, using the 0-3-6-9 clues Zodiac kept giving us as shift values?

The Harden translation of the last 18 letters;

E..B..E..O..R..I..E..T..E..M..E..T..H..H..P..I..T..I is put in order:

T..E..H..I..M..I..O..H..P..E..R..T..T..E..E..B..E..I

and when the number sequence of:

0 3 3 6 9 6 3 3 6 6 9 9 6 6 9 9 6 0

is applied, these blue bold letters appear and spell the name:

C...N...Q...R...V...R...X...Q...Y...N...A...C...C...N...N...K...N...R
Z...K...N...O...S...O...U...N...V...K...X....Z...Z...K...K...H...K...O
W..H...K.. L...P....L...R...K...S....H...U...W..W..H...H...E...H...L
T...E...H...I...M...I....O...H....P....E...R...T...T...E...E...B....E...I
Q...B...E...F...J...F....L...E....M....B...O...Q...Q..B...B...Y....B...F
N...Y...B...C...G..C....I....B...J....Y....L...N...N...Y...Y...V....Y...C
K...V...Y...Z...D...Z...F...Y...G....V....I....K...K...V...V...S...V...Z

akwilks

Postby akwilks on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:38 pm

I think it was Bentley and the Foreigner, among others as well, who noted some of the possible shapes that appear in the 340 - either by accidential coincidence or intentional design. That does NOT imply that either agree with any of my ideas. But I want to give them credit for making the observations about the possible shapes.

I took off from their work and others and made my own observations.

Here you can see that "09" appears in relation to the shape, at the top, bottom and middle of the shape, and I think 0-3-6-9 is the code decrypt sequence (see my posts here above on the Unsolved 18). Could the repeated appearance of "09" in relation to the shape be a clue? And the appearance of "+ 09" dead center, with the shape drawing attention to dead center?

Also, "THEO" appears on the first line of the 340 uncoded, and "KACZYNSKI" on the last two lines.

What are the odds that happens by chance?

And though I didn't mark it, Ted's middle initial "J" (for John) appears in the middle of the middle line. The odds of that are 1 in 26.
Attachments
Zodiac 340 Shape And Top Line THEO Last Lines KACZYNSKI.jpg
Zodiac 340 Shape And Top Line THEO Last Lines KACZYNSKI.jpg (51.34 KiB) Viewed 2578 times
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:18 pm

As Kite notes, the unsolved 18 from the first Zodiac code has all the letters to spell a math directive -

BOTH PRIME.

As BOTTTH PRIIIIMEEEEE

As if hinting at two prime numbers?

The general criticism of the Caesar Code method is that it produces a matrix from which one could create dozens, sometimes hundreds of names. Therefor the appearance of the Theodore J Kaczynski name is interesting but nothing really special, it is just random. Thus the code method is likely not valid.

But it not just the fact that the TJK name appears in all the codes, it is HOW it appears.

In the Unsolved 18, only the TJK name has shift values that mirror the car door numbers at LB, and only the TJK name has internal math numbers that add up.

In the Map Code, thousands of names could be created, but despite my efforts and efforts of a dozen critics (and, I think, the FBI code Unit and I know for a fact a state police code unit) ONLY the TJK name appears based on a clue Zodiac created on a map and is based on a perfect numerical palindrome -

66 9 66 66 0 6 6 0 66 66 9 66.

First Zodiac Code - Letters/Ciphers of July 31, 1969 - 18 Character Unsolved Portion

After Don and Bettye Harden solved the first Zodiac Code, there were 18 letters at the end that did not make any sense and could not be formed into words. Zodiac stated that he would tell us his name in this code, then denied it, then again stated if it was cracked the police would have him. Many thought the last 18 letters did reveal his name, but required a second stage decoding in order to do so.

On the Phillips 66 Mt. Diablo Map Code, Zodiac wrote the numbers 0-3-6-9.

In the context of the map and the symbol, we would expect to see N, E, S, and W, or perhaps 0, 90, 180, 270. The numbers 9, 6, 3, and 0 are also the last four numbers Zodiac wrote on the car door at the Lake Berryessa crime scene. Could the numbers be a clue? Could they refer to the common code method of shifts of letters, called a Caesar Code? Using the 0-3-6-9 clue and the Caesar Code method, I reached a solution to the Map Code, and Kite reached a solution to the unsolved 18 from the first Zodiac Code.

One objection to the proposed solution to the unsolved 18 from the first Zodiac Code offered by Kite and myself is that the order is re-arranged (Bentley!).

I present a proposed solution here to the unsolved 18 in the order as presented by Zodiac and solved by the Hardens.

This is the unsolved 18 virgin and unmarked:

N...K...N...X...A...R...N...C...N...V...N...C...Q...Q...Y...R...C...R
K...H...K...U...X...O...K...Z...K...S...K....Z...N...N...V...O...Z...O
H...E...H...R...U...L...H..W..H...P...H...W...K...K...S...L...W...L

E...B...E...O...R...I....E...T...E...M...E...T...H...H...P...I....T...I

B...Y...B...L...O...F....B...Q..B....J...B...Q...E...E...M...F...Q...F
Y...V...Y...I....L...C....Y...N..Y....G...Y...N...B...B...J...C...N...C
V...S...V...F...I....Z....V...K..V.....D..V....K...Y...Y...G...Z...K...Z

This is the original proposed solution by Kite, but in the order presented by Zodiac and solved by the Hardens (I think - Kite, do you agree?).

N...K...N...X...A...R...N...C...N...V...N...C...Q...Q...Y...R...C...R
K...H...K...U...X...O...K...Z...K...S...K....Z...N...N...V...O...Z...O
H...E...H...R...U...L...H..W..H...P...H...W....K...K...S...L...W...L

E...B...E...O...R...I....E...T...E...M...E...T...H...H....P...I....T...I

B...Y...B...L...O...F....B...Q..B....J...B...Q...E...E...M...F...Q...F
Y...V...Y...I....L...C....Y...N..Y....G...Y...N...B...B...J...C...N...C
V...S...V...F...I....Z....V...K..V....D..V....K...Y...Y...G...Z...K...Z

H...S...K...R...A...O...Y...T...N...D...K...C...E...E...J...O...Z...I

T...H...E...O...D...O...R...E...J...K....A...C...Z...Y..N...S...K...I

The solution gives you the letters for the TJK name, and the 6th, 12th and 18th all match exactly to the letters in the same place in the TJK name. In other words, as the Kite solution is applied to the unsolved 18 in the order presented by Zodiac and as solved by the Hardens, every sixth letter matches exactly the letter in the same space in the name "THEODORE J KACZYNSKI".

H...S...K...R...A...O...Y...T...N...D...K...C...E...E...J...O...Z...I

T...H...E...O...D...O...R...E...J...K....A...C...Z...Y..N...S...K...I

And this is the solution above, re-arranged and put into order to spell the TJK name:

The Harden translation of the last 18 letters;

E..B..E..O..R..I..E..T..E..M..E..T..H..H..P..I..T..I is put in order:

and once again we see that the 6th, 12th and 18th charcacters are identical, and when the number sequence of:

0 3 3 6 9 6 3 3 6 6 9 9 6 6 9 9 6 0

is applied, the name appears and I think you can see it better in RED - and note the geographic patterns here:

akwilks

Postby akwilks on Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:21 pm

0 . 3 - 3 . 6 . 9 . 6 - - 3 . 3 . 6 . .6 . .9 . 9 . 6 . .6 - 9 . 9 - 6 . 0

The above solution code to produce the name

THEODORE J KACZYNSKI is:

0 3 - 3 6 9 6 - 3 3 6 6 9 9 6 6 - 9 9 - 6 0

Compare the number sequence above with the numbers Zodiac wrote on the car door at Lake Berryessa on 9/27/69:

Sept 27 - 69 - 6:30

September is the 9th month, and 2 + 7 = 9

So we might have, reducing the message to NUMBERS and expressing it in terms of MATHEMATICS:

9 9 - 6 9 6 3 - 0

Reverse it and we have:

0 - 3 6 9 6 - 9 9

And in the code solution to get the TJK name we see this exact same sequence of 3-6-9-6, and then doubled as 33-66-99-66. The entire code sequence is:

0 3 3 6 9 6 - 3 3 6 6 9 9 6 6 - 9 9 - 6 0

There are a huge number of four digit combinations that can be made from 0,3,6 and 9. (Can anyone figure out how many?) Can we really say it is likely just a coincidence that the same sequence on the car door - 3696 - when used and then doubled produces the Kaczynski name?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of what follows is based on excellent discoveries made by Kite. I try here to amplify, expound, illustrate and build on them.

It is well known and obvious that dozens to hundreds of real 14 to 18 letter names can be created from an unsolved 18 Caesar chart. So why should we be interested in the TJK name anymore than the Zs production of the Penn name, or any of the other dozens of real names that could be produced?

If Zodiac did use this method, as I contend is probable, it is not just like hiding the needle of his name in a haystack. It is like hiding the needle of his name in a haystack with hundreds of other needles. (And in the Map Code, thousands). By doing so he realistically avoids any serious chance of legal jeopardy. But I speculate that Zodiac did want to be able to prove he was Zodiac if he was ever caught and/or his ego couldn't resist putting his name in there some how. So he put in some patterns and math formulas that only seem to tie in with his name, to the exclusion of all or almost all the other names that can be produced.

This is the shift value number sequence that produces the TJK name:

0 - 3 3 - 6 9 6 - 3 3 - 6 6 9 9 6 6 - 9 9 - 6 - 0

THAT IS NOT RANDOM!

First, there is the tie-in to the murder date and time car door message that I show above. If this solution is not valid, then it is just a coincidence that when you apply the car door sequence to the unsolved 18 you get the name of a major Z suspect, TJK. I doubt that is a coincidence!

Second, look at the mathematical pattern. Keep in mind Zodiac - whoever he was - had a mind for codes and numbers, and Kaczynski was a math professor and a genius with numbers. I have mentioned this briefly but never really explored how extraordinary it is. Let us look at the numbers and the name:

T H E O D O R E -J K A C Z Y N S K I
0 3 3 6 9 6 3 3 - 6 6 9 9 6 6 9 9 6 0

If you add all the shift values that make up "Theodore" they add up to 33.

0+3+3+6+9+6+3+3 = 33

After the opening "0", we see that "33" appears at the start of the name "Theodore", and appears again in the end of that name.

If you add up all the shift values that make up "J Kaczynski" they add up to 66.

6+6+9+9+6+6+9+9+6+0 = 66

"66" appears at the start of the name "J Kaczynski", and appears again in the middle of the name.

Add the values of both names together (i.e., add up all the values used in the 18 character name) and you have 33 + 66 = 99.

"99" appears in the middle and towards the end of the name, before the actual "60" ending.

Is all this yet another coincidence? Maybe. But I highly doubt it. It seems a way to validate this name as being different from all the other names that can be produced.

A zkf poster named Zsearcher did produce the name "Gareth Sewell Penn ZK". I don't think the eccentric researcher Penn is a serious suspect, and the "ZK" doesn't really make sense, but OK, let us look at it.

Kite and I have tried to get a similar math or other pattern out of the Penn name, and many other names, and we can't. The numbers in each part of the three part name add up to numbers that do not appear in the name:

Z K G A R E T H S E W E L L P E N N
9 9 -9 9 9 0 0 0 9 0 -3 3 3 3 3 0 9 9

ZK = 18 GARETH = 27 SEWELL = 21 PENN = 21 TOTAL = 87

The numbers "18, 27, 21, 87" do not appear in the name. So it appears that name is purely random.

Perhaps there is another name or two that by chance might have some math formulas in it. Maybe it is "Vern Eli Blandstone". But then you would have to ask if that person is as good a suspect as TJK. Is he a known code expert, bomb maker and letter writing killer who lived in the SF Bay area at the right time? In other words, the proposed code solutions are one strong element to consider of the total evidentiary package.

Also, in the Map Code "Theodore J" has shift value numbers of 51, and "Kaczynski" also adds up to 51. See http://unazod.com/Wilks_32.htm . I noted that a Unabomber alias "Enoch W Fischer" decodes as "Theo Kaczynski" using the Caesar Code 0-3-6-9 method. And as Kite also discovered, in the Unabomber alias "Enoch W Fischer", using not shift value but the number value of letters (i.e., "E" = 5, as it is the fifth letter), "Enoch W" adds up to 68, and "Fischer" adds up to 68. See viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25 .

In other words, it seems Theodore Kaczynski used internal math formulas to distinguish his name and his name only that he hid in both Zodiac codes and Unabomber alias codes.
Last edited by akwilks on Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.
akwilks

Postby KITE on Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 pm

That O,C,I matching on the 6,12,18 spaces is certainly a very interesting consideration. Even more so when you factor in that the number for letter for O,C,I are (15,3,9), giving the number string, in totality, (3,6,9,12,15,18). Seems arguably intentionally coordinated with the (0,3,6,9) of the Caesar shift. Here's an interesting number pattern to consider with number for letters. (Theodore J. Kaczynski) number for letter equals (219). Just (J. Kaczynski) number for letter equals (129). (ebeoriete methhpiti) number for letter equals (192). That's 219,129,192. You can see it's a number anagram. But, also, all are divisible by 3. So with the (0,3,6,9) as a nucleus, let's say, there are, possibly, number patterns built around divisibilty by 3, perhaps.
KITE

Postby akwilks on Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:25 pm

That is very interesting that the overlaps create 6 numbers, all divisible by 3!

----------------------------------------------------------------

Bentley raised an interesting objection awhile back to my notion that the Lake Berryessa car door message could be a clue how to decipher the last 18 of the first Zodiac code. Since the Lake Berryessa murder happened AFTER the code was sent in, am I saying Zodiac sent in the code knowing he would do a murder at that date (9-27-69) and time (6:30)?

My answer:

On the car door, Zodiac wrote "69-630". Backwards, it reads "0 - 3 - 6 - 9 -6". Focus on the "3-6-9-6" part. The sequence of shift value numbers that produce the 18 character TJK name begins with a "0", then a "0-3-6-9-6", matching the car door, then there is a "33 - 66 - 99 - 66" exactly doubling the car door sequence. Coincidence? Maybe. I can't prove it is not a coincidence, only that of all the thousands of names, only one (Theodore J Kaczynski) is produced when applying the car door number sequence first as singles then doubled.

That is a very interesting point about the timing issue. At first glance, I admit that does weaken somewhat my proposed tie-in to the car door, but also creates a potential scenario wherein Z sent the codes, saw nobody deciphering the last 18, and decided to give a little "clue", by doing a murder on 9/27/69, and writing "630" to create the "03696" decode sequence.

Kite came up with the concept of a Caesar Code analysis of the last 18, and never tied it into the car door message. So the method is arguably valid, or not valid, independent of how anyone might feel about my idea of the car door message being a clue.

And I should make it clear that my analysis of how Zodiac came up with these values pre-dates 9/27/69.

The first aspect is that in the Caesar Code as used by Caesar himself, shift values of 3 were used. Given TJK's interest in history (and he had a dozen books on Caesar and Rome in his cabin) I thought he might also use 3 and then variants or multiples of 3.

Then there is the amazing mathematical qualities of 9. 9 times any number creates a number that adds up to 9, as in 9 x 9 = 81 while 8 + 1 = 9, etc. I thought as a math prof this would interest him.

Then there were many times Zodiac used 3, 6 or 9. "+09" appears in the center of the 340, the word "thing" is underlined 6 times with 6 explanation points, etc., etc.

Also we know that both Zodiac and TJK had an interest in Norse myths, langauge and legends. Zodiac made refernce to the Norse langauge in his SLA letter, and I think some of the murders incorporate Norse rituals. In the Norse culture, the numbers 3, 9 and 27 (and to a lesser extent 6) have a special place - they are "magic" and favored numbers. At a campus of a Unabomber target, TJK spray painted a Yggdrasil symbol, also known as the Algiz Rune. The Yggdrasil is the world tree, and a symbol of the Norse worlds. The tree has THREE roots, is guarded by SIX serpents, and has NINE branches. 3-6-9.

So I do propose Zodiac sent the code with the last 18 encoded in a Caesar Code with 0-3-6-9 shift values. The car door sequence is either a very amazing coincidence or a later intentional teasing clue on how to solve it.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:41 pm

E...B...E...O...R...I....E...T...E...M...E...T...H...H...P...I....T...I

...One B
...One O
.Three T 's
...Two H 's
....One P
...One R
.Three I 's
..One M
..Five E 's

These are the famous last 18 letters that appear at the end of the Harden solution. Coincidence or intended, they can spell the mathematical command "BOTH PRIME". Since people typically sign their name at the END of a letter, the police and others felt this 18 letter string might be an anagram of the killers name, and/or require a second stage decode to reveal the killers name.

Over the years there has been much other speculation as to their possible meaning, from "Robert Emmet The Hippie" (by adding some letters) to spiritual to mystical to weird, with no theory very convincing. That has led others to say that these 18 letters are nothing but filler, pure gibberish. With no real evidence to back that up either.

The Zodiac said this cipher contained his "identity".

But in the Harden solution he said he would not "give" his name.

But he later said if police crack the code they will "have him".

Perhaps by saying he would not "give" his name, he meant he would not just "give it up easily" in the first stage of the decode. He puts the 18 letter string in their at the end, in effect saying 'if you want my name, you are going to have to work very hard for it'.

Kite, myself and others have shown in the posts above that the 18 letter sequence begining "E B E..." can reveal the 18 letter name of Zodiac suspect "Theodore J Kaczynski" with a shift value sequence of patterned repeats that matches the car door sequence at Lake Berryessa and is internally consistent mathematically (see posts above).

But another question posed to me was "OK, how do you contend that Zodiac, if he was Kaczynski, took his 18 letter name and encoded it in the E B E string? Can you show me how you think he did that? And is that process revealed to be more or less random, and thus not very convincing, or is there some type of pattern or plan evident, which would make it more convincing?"

Fair question. I will give it a shot.

So let us imagine that Theodore J Kaczynski was indeed the Zodiac, and he wished to encode his name using a Caesar Code with 0-3-6-9 shift values. How might he go about it?

The most likely first step is he would write out his name and then create a matrix of 0-3-6-9 letter shift values. That would give him a chart in which he could then pick his encoded letters. First I will show this matrix with a + axis and a - axis. Then I will show it as a chart with shift values used for their absolute value, i.e., distance from zero.

First a Caesar Code matrix with 0-3-6-9 values, + and -, for the name THEODORE J KACZYNSKI:

-...-...N...-...M...-...-...N...S...-...-...-...-...H...-...B...-...-
-...-...K...-...J....-...-...K...P...-...-...-...-...E...-...Y...-...-
-...-...H...-..G....-...-...H..M...-...-...-...-...B...-...V...-...-

T..H...E..O..D...O...R...E..J....K..A...C..Z...Y...N..S...K...I

-..E...-...L...-...L...O...-...-....H..X...Z..W..-....K...-...H..-
-..B...-...I...-...I....L...-...-....E...U..W..T...-...H...-...E...-
-..Y...-...F..-...F....I...-...-....B...R...T..Q...-...E...-....B..-

Then lets see how he might have SELECTED that E B E letter string (Five "E" 's, Three "I" 's, Three "T" 's, Two "H" 's, One "P", One "M", One "O", One "B", One "R") to encode his name, if that is even possible (it is) and if that process seems totally random or if we can detect patterns, plans or shapes in the selection.

-...-...N...-...M...-...-...N...S...-...-...-...-....H...-...B...-...-
-...-...K...-...J....-...-...K...P...-...-...-...-.....E...-...Y...-...-
-...-...H...-..G....-...-...H..M...-...-...-...-.....B...-...V...-...-

-...E...-...L...-....L...O...-...-....H..X...Z..W..-....K...-..H...-
-...B...-...I...-....I....L...-...-....E...U..W..T...-...H...-..E....-
-...Y...-...F..-.....F....I...-...-....B...R...T..Q...-...E...-..B...-

We can see that it is indeed possible to derive the letters in the E B E string from a Caesar Code chart of the TJK name. Some of it seems random (perhaps to increase difficulty of solution?) while parts of it seem to follow patterns or geometric shapes. And the entire shift number sequence to encode the name -

0 33 696 33 66 99 66 99 6 0

- has amazing mathematical qualities and shows a clear pattern, a pattern we even see on the car door at Lake Berryessa - the writing "69 6:30" reversed as:
0 3696.

--------------------------------------------------------

But what if we look at it as a chart with shift values used for their absolute value, i.e., distance from zero? In other words, both positive and negative number shifts are represented on the same axis? When we do that, the geometric pattern is amazing. It is very consistent with the E B E string being CHOSEN by someone looking at a Caesar Code matrix of shift values used for the absolute value as seen here FOR THE NAME THEODORE J KACZYNSKI, and creating the deliberate geometric and mathematical patrerns we see here. It seems very unlikely that such geometric and mathematical patterns just happened randomly, by chance.

-...-...N...-...M...-...-...N...S...-...R...T...-...H...E...B...-...-
-...-...K...I...J....I...-...K...P...E...-....-...T...E...-....Y..E...-
-...E...H...-..G....-..O..H..M...-...-.....-...-...B...-....V...-...-

T..H...E..O..D...O...R...E..J....K..A...C...Z...Y...N..S..K...I

And just looking at the E B E string highlighted, with all other letters removed:

-...-...-...-...M...-...-...-...-...-...R...T...-...-...E...B...-...-
-...-...-...I...-....I...-...-...P...E...-....-...T..E...-....-..E...-
-...E..H...-...-....-..O..H...-...-...-.....-...-..-...-....-...-...-

T..H...E.O..D...O..R...E...J...K..A...C...Z..Y...N...S..K...I

-----------------------------------------------------------------

And the sequence above derived from the Theodore J Kaczynski name, that starts T E H, is indeed all the same letters as the E B E sequence, the letters are just shifted somewhat, but some are even in the same order like "E B E" and "H P", as can be seen when we add color:

can be put into the order seen at the end of the Harden solution to the first Zodiac code:

E..B..E..O..R..I..E..T..E..M..E..T..H..H..P..I..T..I
Last edited by akwilks on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:10 pm, edited 8 times in total.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Tue Jan 18, 2011 1:20 am

In fact, I think I can now outline in the simplest way possible how Theodore J Kaczynski used his name to come up with the puzzling 18 letter "E B E" string that finishes off the first decoded message from the Zodiac. And show that he did it in a consistent, logical and mathematical way.

He starts by writing out the 18 letters of his name and creating a Caesar Code matrix with 0-3-6-9 shift values. He uses numbers for their absolute value, i.e., distance from zero, thus positive and negative number shifts are represented on the same axis. He uses the number sequence:

0 33 696 33 669966 99 6 0

to create the letter string. Using this number sequence, the letters for "THEODORE" add up to 33, while those for "JKACZYNSKI" add up to 66. He will later take the time to write 0 3 6 9 6 on the car door at Lake Berryessa, a hint on how to solve the still unsolved part of the code.

So he applies these numbers as shift values to encode his name -

0 33 696 33 669966 99 6 0 - the selected letters are highlighted in RED below:

-...-...N...-...M...-...-...N...S...-...R...T...-...H...E...B...-...-
-...-...K...I...J....I...-...K...P...E...-....-...T...E...-....Y..E...-
-...E...H...-..G....-..O..H..M...-...-.....-...-....B...-....V...-...-

T..H...E..O..D...O...R...E..J....K..A...C...Z...Y...N..S..K...I

And just looking at the selected code string highlighted, with all other letters removed:

-...-...-...-...M...-...-...-...-...-...R...T...-...-...E...B...-...-
-...-...-...I...-....I...-...-...P...E...-....-...T..E...-....-..E...-
-...E..H...-...-....-..O..H...-...-...-.....-...-..-...-....-...-...-

T..H...E.O..D...O..R...E...J...K..A...C...Z..Y...N...S..K...I

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The name has thus created the following 18 letter string seen beneath it:

T..H..E..O.D..O..R..E..J..K..A..C..Z..Y..N..S..K..I

THEN HE REVERSES THE 18 LETTER STRING AS FOLLOWS - AND COMPARE IT TO THE ACTUAL STRING AT THE END OF THE ZODIAC CODE BELOW IT:

I..K..S..N..Y..Z..C..A..K..J..E..R..O..D..O..E..H..T
I..E..B..E..E..T...T..R..E..P..H..O..I..M..I..H..E..T

The use of color shows how similar much of the reverse string from the TJK name is to the actual string at the end of the first Zodiac code. It is the exact same 18 letters, some are shuffled, some are in the same sequence, like "E B E" and others:

I..K..S..N..Y..Z..C..A..K..J..E..R..O..D.O..E..H..T

I..E..B..E..E..T..T..R..E..P..H..O..I..M..I..H..E..T

K..S..N..R..A.I..Y..Z..K..D..H..T..E..E..J..O..C..O

------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this shows how the 18 letter reverse string derived rom the Theodore J Kaczynski name actually encodes the name in the 18 letter string starting with "E B E" that is at the end of the first Zodiac Code. What we see here is:

1. The Theodore J Kaczynski name backwards.
2. The 18 letter string derived from the name backwards.
3. The actual 18 letter string seen at the end of the first Zodiac Code.
4. How that 18 letter string at the end of the Zodiac Code actually encodes the Theodore J Kaczynski name.

I..K..S..N..Y..Z..C..A..K..J..E..R..O..D.O..E..H..T
I..E..B..E..E..T..T..R..E..P..H..O..I..M..I..H..E..T

E..B..E.O..R..I..E..T..E..M..E..T..H..H..P..I...T..I

K..S..N..R..A.I..Y..Z..K..D..H..T..E..E..J..O..C..O
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:50 pm

One criticism of the work here on the Unsolved 18 from the first Zodiac Code is that we use both positive and negative shift values. Critics say if both positive and negative shift values are going to be used, code principles demand that there be some sort of pattern.

In a thread on the work of Kite and myself on the Unsolved 18 from the first Zodiac Code, this is from a poster on the websleuths forum named RICHARD:

Your solution makes a lot of sense mathematically. But there are two places where you allow for randomness.

The first is where you state that Zodiac uses the "absolute value" of a 3, 6 or 9 shift in encrypting the name Theodore J. Kaczynski. [In fact I did one chart showing shift numbers for their "absolute value", i.e., distance from zero, so that + and - shifts were on the same axis.- AK] If this were the case, all shifts would be "up" or positive. In fact, some shifts are positive and some are negative. And those shifts occur in an interesting pattern:

T h e o d o r e J K a c z y n s k i
0 - + - + - - + + - - - - + - + -0
0 3 3 69 6 3 3 6 69 9 6 6 9 960

Sorry if the letters, numbers, and shift directions don't line up exactly.

Note that direction (+ or -) of the first seven shifts are mirror immage to the shifts used for the last seven letters. In the middle of the name there are two positives and two negatives.

I refer to a positive (+) shift to mean that he would go forward in the alphabet to arrive at the encryption letter, and a negative (-) shift would mean that he went backward in the alphabet from the letter to arrive at it's encryption.

He clearly used a pattern in determining which direction to shift in his encryption.

The second place where you allow for randomness is in the jumble of the encrypted name to arrive at the order of the final 18 symbols.

With all the precision and patterns seen throughout this theory, I have to think that there is a pattern or an equation used to "jumble" those final 18 symbols.

From AK:

Richard - Amazing observation! I don't know how I missed it. Perhaps Kite or someone else noticed this before, but if they did, I glazed over it. Keep in mind when you are trying to decipher the Zodiac codes you are most likely dealing with someone who probably was both mad and a genius, and loved to taunt, tease and confuse. If I am right, and Kaczynski was the Zodiac, you are dealing with a top mathematical thinker and professor who had a 165 IQ - about the same as Einstein! Regular "genius" level is 140. So there are often codes within codes, hidden meanings, multi stage levels of encryption and peristent deep mathematical patterns, though often hard to detect.

You seem to have correctly identified a pattern in the use of positive and negative shift values. I will take the Caesar Code Shift Chart for the name Theodore J Kaczynski with 0-3-6-9 values and add your observation about positive shifts (going forward from the letter) and negative shifts (going backwards from the letter).

-...-...N...-...M...-...-...N...S...-...-...-...-....H...-...B...-...-
-...-...K...-...J....-...-...K...P...-...-...-...-.....E...-...Y...-...-
-...-...H...-..G....-...-...H..M...-...-...-...-.....B...-...V...-...-

-...E...-...L...-...L...O...-...-....H..X...Z..W..-....K...-...H...-
-...B...-...I...-...I....L...-...-....E...U..W..T...-...H...-...E....-
-...Y...-...F..-...F....I...-...-....B...R...T..Q...-....E...-...B...-

0..-...+...-..+...-...-....+...+..-...-....-...-....+...-...+...-....0

There does indeed appear to be a pattern -

both the left and right start off going inward as 0-+-+--, with a ++-- in the middle.

Let me try to illustrate it better:

0..-...+...-..+...-...-....[+...+..-...-]....-...-....+...-...+...-....0

To put it into pure math-algebra terms, with:

0="A", "-" = X, "+" = Y, this is the pattern:

A..X..Y..X..Y..XX [YYXX] XX..Y..X..Y..X..A

I suspect you may also be a right about a pattern in the final shuffle of the 18 letter string, but beyond a reversal and certain shifts, I have yet to detect an overall pattern. He may have added some randomness to increase difficulty of solution.
akwilks

PreviousNext

Return to The Zodiac Case