A Fresh Look At The Solution Unsolved 18 From Zodiac Code

Re: A Fresh Look At The Solution Unsolved 18 From Zodiac Code

Postby KITE on Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:35 pm

That way of looking at it with the plus and minus at the bottom is a completely compelling angle, I would say. What do we have here with all of this, in my opinion? We have an unknown 18 at the end of the Zodiac cipher and since Theodore J. Kaczynski is an 18 letter signature and since Kaczynski is a known serial or mass murderer who sought publicity with letter writing and since the Zodiac case is unsolved, well, why not inspect that unknown 18 to see if perhaps TJK can be found there crypticly? The result is compelling, in my opinion. Name after name apparently can't get thru the Caesar Cipher maze, let's call it, but Theodore J. Kaczynski does. The standard for comparison, a 17 letter name with also a middle initial or otherwise an 18 letter signature. (And the double letters all match and the number string seems so obviously patterned). So do we have a coincidence here? Did the real Zodiac use the name as misdirection? The 18 have 9 different letters: ERITPHMBO. Set up with just 6 and 9 Caesar shift:
N......(.A).......R.......C......(Y).......Q.......V......(K).......X....(+9)
(K)......X........O......(Z)......V......(N)......(S)......H........U....(+6)
Y........L.......(C)......N.......J.......B........G........V.......(I)...(-6)
V........I........Z........K.......G......Y.........D.......S........F....(-9)

Just using 6 and 9 as an exercise, Kaczynski makes it thru the Caesar maze, but how many words can get thru? Only one letter can be picked out of each vertical column of 4, anagrammed as necessary to a 9 letter word. But I believe it to be very amazing that the 9 different letters from the unknown 18 can be Caesar shifted with only a 6 and 9 to KACZYNSKI.
KITE

Postby akwilks on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Kite - And Everyone -

We have the initial report from Aquiman on the probability of obtaining THEODOREJ and/or KACZYNSKI in any 9 letters of random code, allowing for a Caesar shift of -9, -6, -3, 0, +3, + 6, +9 and for anagrams.

I will let Aqui post the full report, all the charts and graphs, and give his explanations and caveats.

Bottom line, however, is amazingly good news for those of us who thought this was the correct method!

The critics of this method said that "ANY" 9 letters sequence could create the names "THEODOREJ" and "KACZYNSKI". I had many critics tell me, emphatically, that it was 90 to 100% likely to get those names using the Caesar method and anagrams. Others told me it was 50 to 65% likely to get the names in any group of letters.

Well, we have the initial results of a computer study, done by a CRITIC of the code work, a professional at a major American research university with a masters in Applied Physics who does computer probability studies for a living.

The initial results are:

A 3.3% chance of obtaining "THEODOREJ" in a continuous 9 letter sequence.

A 5.3% chance of obtaining "KACZYNSKI" in a continuous 9 letter sequence.

And a 0.176% chance of obtaining both

Wow! Better even then I thought they would be!

Note: This analysis does NOT apply to the Unsolved 18, as the two names are not continuous, they are jumbled together. Also, as Aqui reports the computer time to run the analysis for 18 letters would take days. He "guesstimates" based on observable trends for the 9 letter names that the probability for obtaining "THEODOREJKACZYNSKI" jumbled in an 18 letter sequence would be roughly around 1%.

Aqui has serious concerns about the huge number of possible letter combinations, and is still doing work on this, and as such, has not reached any final conclusions pro or con. He admits these numbers are way lower than he thought they would be. He is subjecting his work to peer review. I thank Aqui for his work on this, his ability to figure out an analysis and his integrity for sticking with the project when he started to get results he was NOT expecting. At this stage he is not endorsing the Kite - Wilks code work. He wants to do more analysis. Which is to his credit.

Looking at the 9 letters used by Zodiac in the final unsolved 18 in the Zodiac 408 Code, it does appear (to me) that the above analysis would apply, so that the odds of getting BOTH a "THEODOREJ" and also a "KACZYNSKI" from the same continuous 9 letter sequence would be "0.176%" or "just less than 2/10 of 1%". Amazing! And here we do indeed have a 9 letter sequence that Zodiac gave us - ERITHPMBO - that does gives us both names.

We do have a continuous THEO and a continuous KACZYN in the 3rd line of the 1986 Graysmith solution to the Zodiac 340. The odds of getting THEO are 6.9%, the odds of getting KACZYN are 7.4%, and the odds for getting BOTH are 0.5%. Or "one half of one percent." See viewtopic.php?f=14&t=36&p=1313#p1313

I admit I do not yet fully understand the implications of this report, and it is not yet final.

But certainly it seems to confirm that there is something going on here worthy of further study, and that the critics who said "any" or "virtually any" letter sequence would produce the TJK name were absolutely wrong. These numbers indicate that the names THEO KACZYNSKI were probably PLACED into the codes. And when I say "probably", I mean 99.5%.

Probability Analysis For Obtaining THEODOREJ and KACZYNSKI in a Random 9 Letter Section of Code.jpg
Probability Analysis By Aquiman
Probability Analysis For Obtaining THEODOREJ and KACZYNSKI in a Random 9 Letter Section of Code.jpg (91.71 KiB) Viewed 3524 times

The solved portion of the first Zodiac Code had the last 18 characters which are unsolved.

The last 18 letters are:

E..B..E..O..R..I..E..T..E..M..E..T..H..H..P..I..T..I

This is actually 9 seperate letters, the rest are repeats:

E..B..e..O..R..I..e..T..e..M..e..t..H..h..P..i..t..i

The 9 seperate letters are:

E B O R I T M H P

For reasons which will be clear soon, I am going to take these 9 seperate letters that appear in the unsolved 18 and re-arrange their order:

E R I T P H M B O

Why did Zodiac select these 9 letters? He told us the code held his name...but then said we would not "give us" his name. Names usually go at the end of letters. Did he hide his name in these 9 letters, and do we have to "find it", as he would not "give" it to us? He also said if the code was cracked we would "have" him, and that the code contains his "identity".

What is significant about these 9 letters?

Let us create a Caesar Code Matrix with 0, 3, 6 and 9 for shift values. A "+" at the bottom indicates the letter string goes FORWARD in the alphabet, a "-" indicates it goes BACKWARDS in the alphabet.

* A * * Y * * K *
K X C Z V N S H I
H U F WS K P E L
E R I T P H M B O
* * L * M * J * *
* * O * J * G * *
* * * * * * D * *
+ + -+ + + + + -

That is a Caesar Matrix for the 9 letters we have in the unsolved 18. What do you see?

Do you see the last name of a Zodiac suspect, a known serial killer, bomb designer and code expert who lived in the SF Bay area during 1967 to 1969? Do you also see his first name?

Look again - I will color the last name of this suspect:

* A * * Y * * K *
K X C Z V N S H I
H U F WS K P E L
E R I T P H M B O
* * L * M * J * *
* * O * J * G * *
* * * * * * D * *
+ + - + + + + + -

Now you can clearly see the last name. And how it appears in a PATTERN.

6..9..6..6..9..6..6..9..6 (To be precise it is +6 +9 -6, +6 +9 +6, +6 +9 -6).

Can we calculate the odds that the name occurs from random chance? And in that pattern?

But also consider this - the 9 letters used in the unsolved last 18 from the first Zodiac Code don't just produce the name KACZYNSKI in a patterned way, they also produce the name THEODOREJ as well. In fact, 5 of the 9 letters used in the last unsolved 18 are in the name THEODOREJ, and the rest are produced by Caesar shift.

* A * * Y * * K *
K X C Z V N S H I
H U F WS K P E L
E R I T P H M B O
* * L * M * J * *
* * O * J * G * *
* * * * * * D * *
+ + - + + + + +-

Looking at the 9 letters used by Zodiac in the final unsolved 18 in the Zodiac 408 Code, it does appear (to me) that the numbers in the Aquiman Report would apply, so that the odds of getting BOTH a "THEODOREJ" and also a "KACZYNSKI" from the same continuous 9 letter sequence would be "0.176%" or "just less than 2/10 of 1%". Amazing!

akwilks

Postby KITE on Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Something else that is very interesting, and I'm not sure if it's been brought up before or not. Take a look at the 3 strains of Caesar alphabet. They are:
1) A....D....G....J....M....P....S....V....Y
2) B....E....H....K....N....Q....T....W....Z
3) C....F....I.....L....O....R....U....X

Now look at the unknown 18 in exact order: (E...B...E...O...R...I...E...T...E...M...E...T...H...H....P...I....T...I...)
Now look at the strain for each letter:.......(2...2...2....3...3...3...2...2....2...1...2...2...2....2....1...3....2...3..)
Look at that resulting number string again: (222 333 222 1 2222 1 3 2 3)
In my opinion, that is hardly the sort of number string you'd expect to fall into place by chance. I might expect more twos because of the common letters in that group but the arrangement sort of strikes as intentionally arranged? Did Zodiac, at least in part, purposely arrange the presented unknown 18 patterned by the strains to offer a clue that Caesar shift by threes was what to look for?
Another thing. What are the odds that the name KACZYNSKI can be Caesar-shifted using only the numbers 6 and 9 in both the 9 different letters(EBORITMHP) of the unknown 18 and the first 9 of the unknown 18(EBEORIETE)?
E....B....O....R....I....T....M.....H....P....
K....K.....I.....A...C....Z....S.....N....Y...

E....B....E....O....R....I....E....T....E...
N....S....K....I.....A....C...K....Z....Y...
KITE

Postby akwilks on Mon May 09, 2011 4:36 pm

Kite - I checked your work and it appears accurate to me. Interesting, but not sure how this fits into the overall scheme. Could be coincidence, or yet another pattern tied to the name?

Your discovery of how the 9 letters used in the unsolved 18 can Caesar shift to both THEODOREJ and KACZYNSKI is truly amazing. I think thebigZ/Aquiman is studying that discovery, as illustrated by me above. I think it likely Z would have used 5 of the letters in THEODOREJ as they appear in the 9, whereas you think it was Caesar shifts of 6 and 9. I think he might have done it with the intent that those were 0 shifts. Though we are really just splitting hairs perhaps. The amazing thing is that the 9 letters used in the last 18 of the 408 can Caesar shift to both THEODOREJ and KACZYNSKI.

What do you think so far of his probability report? Hopefully he will post the whole thing soon, he is doing more work on it. But the percentages certainly confirm what you and I, and some others, have said all along - it is not the case that "any" number string will give you the name.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Tue May 10, 2011 3:59 pm

UPDATE ***** NEW INFO AS OF MAY 2011***** UPDATE

* You can see the full results of the new Aquiman probabilty study and analysis here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=131

The study was done by someone who has a Masters in Applied Physics, works at a top ten research university, and does failure analsyis using computers and probabilty/statistical models as part of his regular work. He started off as a critic of the Kite - Wilks code work.

The results are quite amazing. They totally refute the critics who said the 18 letter name Theodore J Kaczynski could be found in "virtually any" letters string. They are a major first step towards computer confirmation that the Caesar Code method with 0-3-6-9 shifts WAS the way Zodiac hid his name in the codes.
akwilks

Postby KITE on Tue May 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Interesting analysis. My own estimate, an educated guess, I would say that 998 names out of 1000 won't work. (998 / 1000). Looking at series, the letter (A) is RUX(A)DGJ. The A is the letter you're trying to (0,3,6,9) attach to a letter in EBEORIETE METHHPITI. Only the R works, A=R (9). So that says that a name can't have 2 A's to qualify as a (0,3,6,9,) match to the unknown 18. The same is true for D. UXA(D)GJM. D only equals M. Can't have DD, can't have AA. Those 2 alone might disqualify 15-20 percent of the names, I'm guessing. Look at the series WZC(FILORUXA)DGJ. FILORUXA matches to the unknown 18 with (IIIOR). So, there can be no more than 5 of any of those letters(FILORUXA) with two A's as an automatic disqualifier. That's one that's hard to pass because AILOR are commonly used. And then WZC(FILORUXADGJMPS)VYB matches the unknown 18 with IIIORMPB, so there can be no more than 8 of FILORUXADGJMPS, if I'm not mistaken. UXA(DGJMP)SVY. Matches the unknown 18 with MP, so no more than 2 of DGJMP. UXA(DGJMPS)VYB matches with MPB, no more than 3 of DGJMPS with 2 D's as automatic disqualifier. What I could do is put up all the important combinations that disqualify a name. For example these combinations disqualify a name, if I didn't err: AA DD DGJ DGM DGP GJM GJP JMP GGG JJJ MMM PPP DGJS DGMS DGPS JMPS DJMS DJPS JSJS PSPS SSSS TTTT TTTW TWTW WTWW (FILORUXA)---(Can't have six.) Well, that's sort of a rough draft and I may have made some mistakes, but it's difficult to squeeze a name through there. The coincidence here, as I see it, is that it's difficult to get an 18 letter name thru this unknown 18 (0,3,6,9,) Caesar shift, but yet, by chance, another serial murderer that used letter-writing with talk of bombs, gets thru-his name gets thru the difficult 0,3,6,9 Caesar maze. To me, that's a striking coincidence.
KITE

Postby AweShucks on Tue May 10, 2011 8:55 pm

My full name 1st middle, last consists of 18 letters. It does not decode in the 18 cipher therefore I am not the Zodiac. I missed out by 3 letters. The 0,3,6,9 work you guys have done is by far the most interesting and most likely correct decode I have seen. Good to see some others are starting to take it serious.
AweShucks

Postby KITE on Wed May 18, 2011 10:26 am

Thanks Shucks. The Kite-Wilks folder is already fairly full but in my frantic fanaticism to forage for finds, I have something to fill the folder further, fancy that? But seriously speaking, what I have here today is absolutely Fanatastic!!! Okay, what we already have is the suggestion that THEODOREJKKACZYNSKI=TEHIMIOHPERTTEEBEI and that then that result is anagrammed to EBEORIETEMETHHPITI, the unknown at the end of the first cipher, the unknown 18. But, you see, the unknown 18 can be arranged in any way and still retain the 0,3,6,9 shift to Theodore J Kaczynski, it has to. So, in other words, Zodiac could have arranged the unknown 18 as BEEEEEHHIIIMOPRTTT, alphabetical order, for example, and still the Caesar solution necessarily remains the same. So, in a sense, we can look at the arrangement of the 18 as a sort of disconnect from the Caesar shift, but then we have to consider this? Would not Zodiac?, while he was at it, use the arrangement of the unknown 18 for more cryptic tease?--for a lack of a better words. Maybe he just, more or less, randomly arranged it. But I've always believed there was something to the arrangement, not intuition in the sense of leaning towards clairvoyance, but a sort of educated intuition, the equivalent as one might say educated guess. And more specifically, the double H's has always struck me as something that would not fall into the result of a random arrangement. Random in the sense that there's not necessarily any meaning or crypticness to it, but yet an order has to be picked. In other words, what I'm saying concerning the double H's, is wondering why would Z spread out the 5 E's but then double the only 2 H's?
KITE

Postby KITE on Wed May 18, 2011 10:57 am

So what I have here today is something to suggest that the arrangement of the unknown 18 was not random or semi-random but was actually perhaps deliberate. It also addresses the double H's and provides a deeper link to the Colossal 340 Cipher Line 3 Cryptic Recovery. Here it is:

E..........B.........E.........O.........R............I.........E........T.........E.........M........E........ T...........H...........H............P...........I.........T.........I
......................K....................A...........C..................(T.........E.........D).................Z...........Y............N...........S.....................K.........I
......................6....................9............6.................(0.........0..........9).................6...........9............6...........3.....................9.........0

If I made a mistake, I apologize for building it up and then not delivering, but I think it checks out. It's similar to the 340 cryptic------------compare---------------- (ZCAK NY THEO IKS)(K AC TED ZYNS KI). This is like perhaps a rough draft for the more animated, more cleverly crafted-- let's say, 340 Line 3 effort. Notice the 1,2,3,4 ascending (K,AC,TED,ZYNS).
KITE

Postby akwilks on Wed May 18, 2011 1:36 pm

KITE: The unknown 18: THEODOREJKACZYNSKI=TEHIMIOHPERTTEEBEI=033696336699669960. Stressing that the (3) double letters all equal the same letter. The patterned number string. A low percentage of names can qualify, yet another letter-writing serial murderer's name can.

AK: HH=EE, II=OO, EE=KK

C...N...Q...R...V...R...X...Q...Y...N...A...C...C...N...N...K...N...R
Z...K...N...O...S...O...U...N...V...K...X....Z...Z...K...K...H...K...O
W..H...K.. L...P....L...R...K...S....H...U...W..W..H...H...E...H...L
T...E...H...I...M...I....O...H....P....E...R...T...T...E...E...B....E...I
Q...B...E...F...J...F....L...E....M....B...O...Q...Q..B...B...Y....B...F
N...Y...B...C...G..C....I....B...J....Y....L...N...N...Y...Y...V....Y...C
K...V...Y...Z...D...Z...F...Y...G....V....I....K...K...V...V...S...V...Z

akwilks

PreviousNext

Return to The Zodiac Case