Zodiac 340 Code Partial Solution & Caesar Code Analysis

Re: Zodiac 340 Code Partial Solution & Caesar Code Analysis

Postby akwilks on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:24 pm

Communication from Aquiman/thebigZ -

He has been doing more on the probability analysis of the Kite and Wilks proposed code solutions, also looking at what I suggested to him were other factors that tend to show the results are likely beyond probabilty. His initial reports are that new results are right on the fine line between "solution indicating results well beyond random chance" and "solution interesting but still within low to moderate probability of random chance."

If I understand him correctly.

Remember his results so far are showing that getting a name like THEODORE J KACZYNSKI in a 0-3-6-9 Casesar matrix would only happen randomly about 5 to 7 % of the time, with the result showing THEO KACZYNSKI in the third line of my proposed 340 solution happening by chance only about 0.5% of the time, or "one half of one percent".

Thanks again to thebigZ for doing this work, and hopefully he will have results to post soon, be they good, bad, great, mixed or inconclusive.

And Aquiman, if there is one thing I again say to look at, it is this third line of the 340. If I am wrong, I am wrong. But if I am right, this is an amazing result that for all intents and purposes, tells us who the Zodiac was likely to have been. I can see no other logical reason for the name of a Berkeley math professor and future serial killer and bomber to have his name in the Caesar decode of the 340 except that he put it there.

But maybe I am wrong? Or I am missing something?

----- ----- ----- -----

What follows below is very likely the correct solution to the mystery of the 9 letters around the THEO...SEE A NAME section of the decode, and it follows code principles and is mathematically consistent, and produces a stunning result:

R U D N Q B C Q N X U Q B
O R A K N Y Z N K U R N Y
L O X H K V W K H R O K V

I L U E H S T H E O L H S

F I R B E P Q E B L I E P
C F O Y B M N B Y I F B M
Z C L V Y J K Y V F C Y J

The number sequence to solve it is:

9 9 6 6 6 6 - 0 0 0 0 -3 3 0 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0
Z C AK N Y T H E O I K S S E E A N A M E

For the name, that breaks down as 99 6666 0000 33 0. That is clearly NOT random.

That is a number sequence of patterned repeats. Two digits repeat (99), then four digits repeat (6666), then four digits repeat (0000), then two digits repeat (33). Then it finishes off with the last letter of the name (0), and the SEEA is a four digits repeat (0000), and it finishes with yet another four digits repeat for NAME (0000). Amazing!

The letters involve only a very mild anagram application to get the name:

Z - CAK - NY - THEO - IKS

"KAC" appears exactly and perfectly backwards with values of:

"ZYN" has the "YN" part backwards with the "Z" put into place with values of:

"SKI" appears exactly and perfectly backwards with values of:

"THEO" appears as is, normal forward left to right read, with values of:

First Stage Solution - As Given:

9 9 - 6 6 6 6 - 0 0 0 0 - 3 3 - 0 - 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0
Z C - AK N Y - T H E O - I K -S - S E E A - N A M E

Final Solution - Letters Arranged To Spell Last Name:

0 0 0 0 - 6 6 9 9 6 6 0 3 3 - 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0
T H E O - K A C Z Y N S K I - S E E A - N A M E

IN TERMS OF THE AQUIMAN PROBABILITY STUDY RESULTS:

Chance of THEO appearing is 0.069 or 6.9%

Chance of KACZYN appearing is 0.074 or 7.4%

Chance of both appearing in a continuous sequence of code, as they do here, is approx 0.005 or 0.5% or "One half of one percent".

And those odds do NOT take into account HOW the name appears.

What follows below is very likely the correct solution to the mystery of the 9 letters around the THEO...SEE A NAME section of the decode, and it follows code principles and is mathematically consistent, and produces a stunning result. Note that the name KACZYNSKI has THREE syllables, each which is THREE letters long - KAC, ZYN and SKI. Backwards they are CAK, NYZ and IKS.

What is stunning and defies probability is not just that the full name appears, but HOW it appears. It seems to have been seeded into the code, with KAC appearing backwards as CAK, then SKI appearing backwards as IKS, with ZYN appearing slightly scrambled as a Z then backwards as NY, with THEO right in the middle, all appearing right before SEE A NAME.

R U D N Q B C Q N X U Q B
O R A K N Y Z N K U R N Y
L O X H K V W K H R O K V

I L U E H S T H E O L H S
F I R B E P Q E B L I E P
C F O Y B M N B Y I F B M
Z C L V Y J K Y V F C Y J
Last edited by akwilks on Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:32 pm

From WRENCH:

Thanks to Doranchak's nice new Webtoy options, I've been looking at the repeat di and tri-grams. Here they are hi-lighted by pairs, both horizontally and vertically. These might not be perfect, but close.

Zodiac 340 Wrench Hilights HORIZONTAL and VERTICAL.jpg
Graphic done by WRENCH
Zodiac 340 Wrench Hilights HORIZONTAL and VERTICAL.jpg (77.97 KiB) Viewed 3428 times

A few notable things, mostly I guess the 6 di-grams back to back on column 12, in an area already interesting for the B.C intersecting strings.

The question I have is: why are there about an equal number of repeats horizontally and vertically, while the 408 has something like 3-4 times as many horizontally as vertically, as one might expect comparing valid ciphertext to jibberish? Does the equal number of the 340 suggest it's bogus? Transposed?

Usual disclaimer: I am only a wannabe cipher guy....

And speaking of AKWilks, the 'crossword' solution he posts on occasion, I guess that was Graysmith or someone's solution (I apologize for not knowing), I am not dismissing as a potential format for a solution, when you take in account the Paradice/Slaves Holloween card thingie and the Sorry No Cipher crossword on the envelope. In fact, PARADICE fits in pretty well smack in the center of the 340, vertically, using the + in the center for the second A and the plus two rows above for the first A (except plaintext D would also be ciphertext D). There could be some sort of crossword solution, with a bunch of filler ciphertext (the + signs perhaps having something to do with it), but it's pretty darn hard to solve that way. I know it ticks off the true cipher guys to think in this mode, but at this point who knows?

AK Wilks: I saw your work at ZKF. As I understand it, you are finding some evidence to suggest the 340 COULD have a vertical message?

You mentioned my "crossword puzzle" solution as well, thanks! Actually that is the 1986 Graysmith solution as thought to be in its raw state, before he messed it up with wild anagramming and silly forced word solves. I think credit for the clean up back to raw state goes to BULLITT, Ed O'Niel, though he may not want it, as I don't think he feels there is much valid in it. I think Obiwan, Kite and others at the old ZK board helped. But I generally call it the "1986 Graysmith Raw Solution". Many of the circled "finds" were found by Kite or myself.

Anyway, maybe you can do a post in the general cipher section here on possible vertical messages in the 340, because your finding comports with my finding.

Based on these results regarding the 340 3rd line and Z CAK NY THEO IKS, I can say I have a HIGH DEGREE OF CONFIDENCE that lines 1 to 8 of the Graysmith 340 solution are likely all correct or at least likely partially correct. What is interesting is that lines 1 through 8 show meaningful words and phrases DIAGONALLY like LIST and BOMBS but mostly HORIZONTIALLY, like I GIVE THEM HELL TOO, THEO KACZYNSKI SEE A NAME, THESE FOOLSHALL SEE and horizontal backwards like HE SET BLAST, GAME.

But lines 10 through 20 show more meaningful words VERTICALLY, like DUEL SIR, BARS LEASH, TAKE LOSE.

Could it be the seemimg gibberish between the meaningful vertical words would make sense if subjected to a Caesar 0-3-6-9 (and maybe 12) analysis?

Zodiac 340 Solution Marked LIST BOMBS THEO HE SET BLAST.jpg
Zodiac 340 Solution Marked LIST BOMBS THEO HE SET BLAST.jpg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 3411 times
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:05 pm

The analysis by Dan Olsen of the FBI Code Unit indicates the 340 may have different parts, and the analysis by WRENCH, which DORANCHAK is investigating, shows the Zodiac 340 may have VERTICAL MESSAGES.

Both of these observations are consistent with the KITE - WILKS analysis and suggested second stage decode of the 1986 Graysmith Raw 340 Solution!

From WRENCH at http://www.zodiackillerfacts.com:

WRENCH Zodiac 408 and 340 Analysis Possible Evidence of VERTICAL Messages in the 340.jpg
WRENCH Zodiac 408 and 340 Analysis Possible Evidence of VERTICAL Messages in the 340.jpg (91.47 KiB) Viewed 3388 times

This excellent research and observation by Wrench is in fact consistent with the VERTICAL word finds by Kite and myself in the 1986 Graysmith Raw Solution:

Zodiac 340 Solution Marked LIST BOMBS THEO HE SET BLAST.jpg
Zodiac 340 Solution Marked LIST BOMBS THEO HE SET BLAST.jpg (95.3 KiB) Viewed 3373 times
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:28 pm

At ZKF, Doranchak asked code expert and author NICK PELLING a question about the 340 and I though his answer was interesting.

doranchak wrote:

Do you have any ideas on what other deeply systematic features might be available to us besides the homophone sequences?

NICK PELLING:

As a general rule, I look for small stepping stones and try to build them up. For Z340...

(1) The number of symbols (and their general frequency distribution) coupled with Z408's use of a homophone cipher is a good basic indication that we're looking at some kind of homophone cipher here.

(2) The lack of repeat symbols on rows 1-3 and 11-13 is also reminiscent of a pair of homophone ciphertexts starting up.

(3) The lack of repeat symbols on row #20 might just be pure chance, but I suspect that something else is going on there, i.e. a different mechanism (it might simply be a private anagram, like the end of Z408 appears to be).

(4) A pure homophonic cipher with only a modest number of symbols should surely have lots of fragmentary left-right patterns, something Z340 doesn't present.

The apparent paradox is therefore that Z340 presents homophone-like features even though it probably isn't a pure homophone cipher. At first, I wondered whether splitting it into two halves (as per (2)) would be enough to fix this, but (as glurk pointed out), it doesn't - it's one of the steps, I think, but not all of the steps.

So right now, I'm reasonably sure that Z340 is formed of a pair of independent homophone ciphers but with (probably) one additional confounding stage. And if that confounding stage turned out to be some kind of column transposition, I would be thoroughly unsurprised. :-)
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:15 pm

Though we have had some pretty good debates over the the possible Caesar solutions to the Zodiac ciphers, Doranchak has agreed to let me post his new software, which he says that all can use for free. So thanks to Doranchak for that. And these are some excellent and very useful programs!

Doranchak:

Here's something I whipped up over the last few weeks:

http://oranchak.com/zodiac/webtoy/stats.html

You can use it to explore various statistical properties and patterns of an assortment of cipher texts. You can enter your own cipher texts as well.

It's probably full of bugs right now since this is an early release. Please find them and let me know about them! Would also love to hear suggestions for improvements.

Documentation is a work in progress.

And be careful which Search buttons you click on towards the bottom - some of them take a few minutes to run. :)

For best results, use Google Chrome, since CipherScope is very JavaScript-intensive, and Google Chrome has an extremely efficient JavaScript engine.

For worst results, use Internet Explorer. You can get by with it, though (I think I killed many of the IE-specific bugs already).

Quick update: I've finished the first cut of the documentation. Hopefully it isn't too confusing.

http://wiki.zodiac-ciphers.dreamhosters ... Scope_Help

I would love to hear any suggestions about how to improve the application.

AK Wilks: I asked Doranchak if he could add the Zodiac 340 Graysmith Raw/Bullitt/Obiwan/Kite/Wilks Proposed Solution to the available ciphers to be analysed, along with a way to expose Caesar shifts, and this was his reply.

Doranchak: Here's a link that will put that text into CryptoScope:

http://is.gd/1EdSKE

If you want to expose the Caesar shift grid, the best way is to use the tool I posted here:

http://oranchak.com/zodiac/akwilks.html

You can put whatever message and text you'd like there, then click "Search", and it will show the Caesar shift grid if there's a match. To force the grid to display, make sure the message can be matched (for instance, you can use any letter of the text as the message, and you'll force a match).

AK Wilks: Special thanks to Doranchak for making his software available to us guys (and gals) on the "other side" of the cipher debate! Hopefully people will experiment with this and post any interesting results.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:46 pm

By KITE on Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:31 am

Both 0,3,6,9 and 0,10,20,30 were not random selections to attempt Caesar shifting with. 0,3,6,9 was put to the points of the Zodiac symbol by Zodiac on the map he sent in and Caesar shifting by TEN was prompted by how the 6 letter series ZYNSKI when alligned with the word ZODIAC, amazingly, has 4 letters that are exactly 10 less:

Z.................Y...................N...................S...................K....................I.............
Z.................O...................D...................I...................A....................C............
................(-10)................(-10)..............(-10)............(-10).............................

So both (0,3,6,9) and (0,10,20,30) were foundational observations first, that were expanded on, let's say. But I have noticed something concerning the Caesar shift TEN that is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING, a game-changer, perhaps. When you look at a KACZYNSKI Caesar 0,10,20,30 layout that shows GUIDINI and then ZODIUS, notice something else!

KACZYNSKI=GEM*INI (-30,+30,+10,+10, 0,-10)
ZYNSKI=ZODIAC......(0,-10,-10,-10,-10,+20)

That is absolutely amazing in my opinion to have GEMINI precede ZODIAC like that. And you can see how similar GUIDINI ZODIUS is to GEMINI ZODIAC.
AND WITH KACZYNSKI BORN MAY 22, HE FALLS UNDER GEMINI ON THE ZODIAC CHART. IS THAT CORRECT?

WOW! GUIDINI ZODIUS, GEMINI ZODIAC. What are the odds of that?

So, I have to ask. When we read that opening line: This is the Zodiac speaking. Are we only getting half of the game involved there? Was ZODIAC used because GEMINI fell before it in a (0,10,20,30) Caesar shift of Kaczynski*

* Only suggesting the possibility that the real Zodiac misdirected with cryptic allusion to the name Kaczynski, a name he somehow became familiar with.

AK WILKS:

Ted Kaczynski was born May 22, which misses Taurus by 2 days and does fall under GEMINI.

O...........E..........G..........D............C..........R..........W.........O...........M....(+30)
E..........U.........W..........T..............S..........H..........M.........E............C....(+20)
U...........K..........M...........J.............I.........X...........C.........U...........S...(+10)
K...........A..........C...........Z.............Y........N..........S.........K............I.....(0)
A...........Q..........S............P.............O.......D..........I..........A.......... Y.. (-10)
Q...........G.........I...........F..............E..........T...........Y.........Q...........O...(-20)
G.........W........Y...........V...............U..........J...........O.........G...........E...(-30)

-------------------------------

O...........E..........G..........D............C..........R..........W.........O...........M....(+30)
E..........U.........W..........T..............S..........H..........M.........E............C....(+20)
U...........K..........M...........J.............I.........X...........C.........U...........S...(+10)
K...........A..........C...........Z.............Y........N..........S.........K............I.....(0)
A...........Q..........S............P.............O.......D..........II..........A.......... Y.. (-10)
Q...........G.........I...........F..............E..........T...........Y.........Q...........O...(-20)
G.........W........Y...........V...............U..........J...........O.........G...........E...(-30)

--------------------------------

There is about a 0.000009% chance these names would occur by random chance, or 1 in 90,000.

It looks to me very probable like THEO KACZYNSKI wrote out his name in a Caesar grid matrix, saw DR GUIDINI, ZODIUS and also ZODIAC, and perhaps came up with those aliases in that way.

Whoever DR GUIDINI/ZODIUS was, they had inside knowledge of the Robison Family Murders near Good Hart, in BlissWOOD, Michigan, on 6/25/68.

The new book CORROBORATING EVIDENCE III by William T. Rasmussen shows evidence linking both the 9/18/66 murder of Valerie Percy in suburban Chicago on the shores of Lake Michigan and the 6/25/68 Robison Family Murder on the shores of Lake Michigan to the ZODIAC.

See viewtopic.php?f=15&t=90&start=0

O...........E..........G..........(D)............C..........R..........W.........O...........M....(+30)
E..........(U).........W..........T..............S..........H..........M.........E............(C)....(+20)
U...........K..........M...........J.............(I).........X...........C.........(U)........(S)...(+10)
K...........A..........C...........(Z).............Y........(N)..........S.........K............I.....(0)
A...........Q..........S............P.............(O).......(D)........(II).......(A).......... Y.. (-10)
Q...........G.........(I)...........F..............E..........T...........Y.........Q...........O...(-20)
(G).........W........Y...........V...............U..........J...........O.........G...........E...(-30)

Tip From Person With Inside Knowledge of Robison Murder.jpg
Tip From Person With Inside Knowledge of Robison Murder.jpg (57.84 KiB) Viewed 3239 times
akwilks

Postby TRex on Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:53 pm

Hi, I am new to here but have been looking and reading all that I can on the Zodiac especially the codes which I find interesting. I would first like to ask a small question for AK, Kite or any one else that may have noted the following.

I still believe the Zodiac left clues as he said many times and are probably simple if we knew exactly what the clue was as there seems to be too many. I have been working on something and just wanted to know if anyone else has worked on this before or if it seems plausable as it seems quite probably the 340 is more then simple substitution othwise it would have been solved by now.

The 340 has 63 variables (340/63= 5.39682539682) which if you add 5,3,9,6,8 and 2 you get 33 x 2 = 66 and if stretched x 3 = 99 all of which are Zodiac numbers seen many times. This stretches the numbers to 18 and I thought I had a solution for the last 18 of the 408 but ran into a snag but I am still working at it.

Any thoughts on this approach or has someone tried this approach before.

TRex
TRex

Postby akwilks on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:15 pm

Welcome!

Glad to see you here and look forward to your posts.

I am not quite understanding what you are saying. Can you explain it a little more?

Are you saying Z picked 63 variables out of 340 because that gives a number that adds up to what you noted?

Thats interesting if a little elaborate. But perhaps it fits a mathematical mind.

The "63" alone is interesting. We have noted multiple clues pointing to 0, 3, 6 and 9 as clues. We think that is a prime Caesar Decode sequence. We think that sequence decodes the last 18 in the first Z code.

I would strongly suggest looking at our work on the 18 here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=86

And at the computer probability analysis done by Aquiman and later doranchak here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=131

Very interested to see any new ideas, theories, questions or criticisms you may have.
akwilks

Postby KITE on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:33 pm

Interesting TRex. I was thinking the same thing AK--that the 63 might be considered interesting in-and-of-itself related to 0-3-6-9. I divided 340 by the numbers 1 thru 9 and the 3,6,9 all end with an eternal repeating number after the decimal. Here they are(340 divided by 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9): 1. (340) 2. (170) 3. (113.3333333) 4. (85) 5.(68) 6. (56.666666) 7.( 48.5714...) 8.(42.50) 9.(37.777777).
KITE

Postby KITE on Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:36 pm

You mentioned in another section, AK, about a possible TED AND DAVE cryptic and possibly that that was noted by Doug? Wasn't there a possible cryptic from the 3-part cipher of MATH I TEACH, I thought was noted by Doug? Otherwise credit that to who discovered it, I know it wasn't my observation. But what's really interesting is to compare MATH I TEACH in the 3 Part Cipher to the possible CAMPBELL HALL cryptic from the 340 Cipher. The beginning location of each cryptic is almost exactly at the same point and both begin with the letter M, since the CAMPBELL HALL cryptic is found on 3 lines(6, 7, and 8) with: MAGPC BLLE HALL found almost on top of each other on those 3 lines.
The MATH I TEACH starts with the M on LINE 6, positon 11. The CAMPBELL HALL cryptic starts on LINE 6, positon 10. That's absolutely amazing!, in my opinion.
MATH I TEACH to CAMPBELL HALL, and if I'm not mistaken Kaczynski taught there, so are these cryptics valid and coordinated between the first 2 Zodiac ciphers and did the real Zodiac know enough about Kaczynski to possibly misdirect with this?
So, to summarize:
A possible cryptic from the 3 part cipher is MATH I TEACH. It involves multiple lines as it snakes down using LINES 6,7,8,9,10, and 11.
A possible cryptic from the 340 Cipher is CAMPBELL HALL, involving multiple lines, 4 letters each on 3 lines, LINES 6,7,8
MATH I TEACH starts on Line 6, position 11.
CAMPBALL HALL starts on Line 6 position 10.
Both start with a letter M.
If I'm not mistaken, Kaczynski taught math at Campbell Hall, was it 1967-1969? Not sure on that?
KITE

PreviousNext

Return to The Zodiac Case