Zodiac 340 Code Partial Solution & Caesar Code Analysis

Re: Zodiac 340 - Partial Solution

Postby akwilks on Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:26 pm

For example, look at this, this line is in the first stage solution:

S E I L L L F M I T P I L L S G A

Now Graysmith sees this, and starts trying to force something, he comes up with some nonsense, PILLS GAME or something. He doesn't know that Z kept putting 0-3-6-9 everywhere for a reason! I think Z put PILLS in there as a trap, giving the false clue he was into drugs. Graysmith did a great job coming up with most of the correct first stage solution to the Zodiac 340, but then he got caught in some of the devious traps.

So lets take that gibberish line and apply a Caesar Shift Code analysis with 0-3-6-9 values to create a matrix:

B N R U U U O V R C Y R U U B P J
Y K O R R R L S O Z V O R R Y M G
V H L O O O I P L W S L O O V J D
P B F I I I C J F Q M F I I P D X
M Y C F F F Z G C N J C F F M A U
J V Z C C C W D Z K G Z C C J X R

Do some words now leap out at you? Look closely.

Keep looking...

B N R U U U O V R C Y R U U B P J
Y K O R R R L S O Z V O R R Y M G
V H L O O O I P L W S L O O V J D
P B F I I I C J F Q M F I I P D X
M Y C F F F Z G C N J C F F M A U
J V Z C C C W D Z K G Z C C J X R

6-6-6-3-0-0-3-6-6-3-3-6-6-6-6-0-0

See how the SORRY jumps out?

Now critics say I am making this up or forcing it.

BUT 95% of this comes from the 1979 FBI file, with most of the final work done a decade ago on the old ZK board!

Look at the SORRY. It is there. I am not making it up or forcing anything. Once you know the 0-3-6-9, it jumps out at you.

And the letters MY COLLCSO

The previous line gave us I LOVE and left overs ETIN.

I LOVE MY COLLCSO ETIN

Well what does Zodiac love? Chocalate chip cookies? Maybe, but he talked about collecting slaves. Critcs say "Anagram use!". But the FBI code unit in 1969 said the 340 had indications of probable anagram use! How much anagramming am I doing?

I LOVE MY COLLCSO ETIN

I mean, come on! Zodiac is making it hard, he is not gonna give it to us. Anagrams prevent anything "found" in the code from being used against him in court, because of the possible variations. But there is a solution. He is speaking to us.

Put it together and we get I LOVE MY COLLECTIONS SORRY

With the next lines giving us BUT I WONT EVER STOP MY KILLING GAME.

This proposed solution is not easy to understand at first glance.

There is a reason this Zodiac 340 Code has defied solution for 40 years. It is complex and multi-stage.

But the actual final solution is pretty clear:

I GEH TO KEEP MY OWN SLAVES I GIVE THEM HELL TOO

THEO KACZYNSKI SEE A NAME

I LOVE MY COLLECTIONS

A SORRY BUT I WONT EVER STOP MY KILLING GAME

THESE FOOLSHALL SEE

WHO SHOULD I KILL NEXT?

ASK YOUR GOD THAT KILLS PEOPLE JUST LIKE THE ZODIAC

IT IS FUN KILLING SLAVES IT HELPS ME HAVE A BALL IN PARADICE

Or:

I HAV MY OWN SLAVES TO KEEP I GIVE THEM HELL TOO

THEO KACZYNSKI SEE A NAME

I LOVE MY COLLECTIONS

SORRY BUT I WONT EVER STOP MY KILLING GAAME

THESE FOOLSHALL SEE

WHO SHOULD I KILL NEXT?

Can anybody come up with an alternate anagram solution to the line below, that makes better or equal sense as the one I have? If someone can, that throws doubt on my claim to have the correct, unique and intended solution. If nobody can, that gives a little bit of credibility to my claim IMO.

Like this line for example, "IS" is there, "FUN" appears exactly backwards, and "KILLING" is pretty much there, "SLAVES" and "PARADICE", classic Z words, jumped out at me with a little anagram work, "BALL" is there perfect. If someone can come up with a better anagram, I am game to see it.

Proposed Translation:

A I S I K T N U F I L L I N I F G V E S S I L H I A P L S T E D R A N P M E E A H A E C V B A L L

With color to show the words formed:

A I S I K T N U F I L L I N I F G V E S S I L H I A P L S T E D R A N P M E E A H A E C V B A L L

Proposed Solution:

This illustrates what I am doing pretty well, I think.

Critics who say "Oh you can come up with anything,", I don't think so. You can see the translation. The words are there, just slightly mixed up to increase difficulty. But come on, you want to say IS, FUN, KILLING, BALL appear by chance, with anagrams for SLAVES and PARADICE, and not a single letter needed is missing and none are left over?

Or can someone come up with a better anagram solution to this line than the one I have?

Proposed Translation:

Y U A S K G O D O H R T S L O E A T P L P A L I I J U C E Z K D L E K I T S O H T E

Proposed Solution:

akwilks

Re: Zodiac 340 - Partial Solution

Postby akwilks on Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:26 pm

One thing maybe that I haven't made clear on this - the strange origin...

This started, probably from Robert Graysmith, but I would urge all to cast aside your feeling on Graysmith in re Allen, because the code work Graysmith did here was NOT influenced by a desire to convict Allen. In fact, the Graysmith solution has the words "I give them Hell tooo TED", as well as "THEO see a name" and "mail KT" or "mail TK".

Others worked on his raw solution, like Kite, Obiwan, Ed and Claston.

NOW HERE IS WHERE IT GETS WEIRD:

10 years after these guys worked out a proposed 340 solution, which has valid sentences in a normal left to right read, such as "I give them hell too", "see a name" and "these foolshall see", Kite and I started noticing things. What kind of things? Well, absolutely KEY Zodiac words likes BOMBS and LIST appearing diagonally. Perfect diagnols, correct spelling, no anagrams. And it actually starts from vertical DUEL, goes up diagonally with LIST and BOMBS, then connects with SEE A NAME, which appears right after THEO.

That extraordinary sequence is smoking gun proof that this is the CORRECT code solution, as it is virtually impossible that such words could appear by chance. They can only appear as they were intended by the codemaker himself, and that was the Zodiac.

Zodiac 340 First Stage Solution Marked.jpg
Zodiac 340 First Stage Solution Marked.jpg (95.34 KiB) Viewed 3865 times

THE KEY SEQUENCE:

A close up on a series of amazing word finds in the 340 solution.

Also interesting that Kaczynski has diagonal, vertical and backwards elements in his personal Unabomber decode method drawing. Once again using the ZK Board modified Graysmith first stage, which largely appears in the 1978 FBI file, 18 years before Kaczynski was arrested:

L....S....E....*....I....L....U.....E....H....S....T.....H....E....O....L....H....S
S....E....E....A....N..A...M....E....B....W....E.....O....L....L....R....K....E
S....E....I....L.....L....L....F....M....I....A.....P.....I....L....L....S....G....A
E....M....R....N....P....A....O....D....E...M....A....G....P....C....E....T....T
O....A....L....S....T....B....N....E....U...*.....S.....H....B....L....L....E....I
..................S
............I
......L

So we have "LIST" leading to the "T" in "A L S T B", a probable anagram for "BLAST" (a word Zodiac used, something like 'when I have my BLAST'), with the "B" then forming a diagonal "BOMBS". Which leads us to "THEO", then "SEE A NAME". Also have "GAME". WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY OF SO MANY RELEVANT WORDS COMING OUT OF A RANDOM LETTER MATRIX?

To get "THEO", after a "T" there is a 1 in 26 chance of an "H" appearing. What are the odds that then that is followed by an "E", and then an "O"????

Never mind, for the moment anyway, that creating a Caesar Code matrix of 0-3-6-9 shift values for the 9 letters around THEO reveals KAC, ZYN and SKI!!!

Keep in mind the following:

* Graysmith never noticed and never claimed that "BOMBS" appears as noted here, so we can rule out an intentional force of that word. It either appears by coincidence or was put there intentionally by Zodiac. If coincidence, then it is also by coincidence that it comes from an anagram for "BLAST" and leads us to "THEO".

* This Graysmith decode was done around 1978, before anyone had heard of Theodore Kaczynski.

* Then and now, Graysmith favors Allen as a suspect, not Kaczynski.

* What Kite and I propose the Zodiac did above - a multi stage complex numbers and math based cipher which uses diagonal, vertical and backwards elements - is IN FACT what Kaczynski later did for his personal Unabomber code system, only by then it was more complex. (Thanks to Aaron T for the video). Note in particular the part that starts around the 2:00 mark, with what Ted called his "Unscrambling Sequence". A similar "Unscrambling Sequence" may be the solution to the entire 340 Code.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EHgfn_brPU

NEW: SCREEN CAPTURES OF TED KACZYNSKI'S FOUR PHASE "UNSCRAMBLING SEQUENCE" FOR HIS UNABOMBER CODE
THEY SHOW TED USED HORIZONTAL, VERTICAL AND DIAGONAL ELEMENTS IN HIS DECODE

Unabomber secret code unscarmbling sequence phase one and two.jpg
Unabomber secret code unscarmbling sequence phase one and two.jpg (35.27 KiB) Viewed 3808 times

Ted Kaczynski Unabomber Code Unscrambling Sequence Phases Three and Four.jpg
Ted Kaczynski Unabomber Code Unscrambling Sequence Phases Three and Four.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 3792 times
akwilks

Re: Zodiac 340 Code Partial Solution & Caesar Code Analysis

Postby akwilks on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:05 pm

I put out this question:

Here is a little Zodiac 340 Code problem I have run into.

I would love to get the input from as many people as possible. Even if you know nothing about codes, you can participate. Some knowledge of the Zodiac case is helpful. At this point I am trying to "word solve", which is when you have part or most of a code done, but need to translate a symbol to a letter, and will often decide in large part on the basis of "If I solve this symbol as this letter, does it create a word, either naturally or with anagram use, and is it likely a word the code maker (in this case, Zodiac) would use?"

I am trying to solve for the symbol "+". I know from other outside factors it is very, very likely to be either an "M" or an "L". Given those parameters, with the following sections of code complete, would you solve the "+" as an "M" or an "L", and why? Or is there a very strong case to be made to solve as another letter?

D U E +

+ E O

B L + E I

S H A + L

Answer from Morf:

Seems like an L to me,

D U E + ......DUEL

+ E O.......LEO

B L + E I ......BELLI (misspelled)

S H A + L.......SHALL

They seem to fit naturally,without jamming them in. Since I am not strong with codes, I have no idea if I am right.

My response:

Thanks Morf, Linda, Sandy and thebigZ!

That was my take as well, that "L" (Old ZK Board solution from year 2000, which slightly modified the 1986 Graysmith version from the book "Zodiac") seems to fit very strongly, and "M" not at all (Robert Graysmith from 1979 FBI file).

It is important for something I am working on, so I wanted a second opinion, and to see if it would be a consensus. It is, and mostly from people who have little to no interest in my POI or any preset ideas about the code, so that is cool.

A critic made the accustaion that the entire 3rd line of my proposed 340 solution was in fact a cherry picked concoction done by Zander Kite in 2000 - four years after Theodore Kaczynski was arrested. I said no, that is false. I said almost every single letter of the key part of line three, the "THEO" and most if not all of the 9 letters surrounding it before "SEE A NAME", were in fact either in the 1979 FBI file or the eventual refined version done by Graysmith in his 1986 book "Zodiac", which was published 10 years BEFORE Kaczynski was arrested.

Well, lets go to the source and find out who was right.

Here is the FBI file, go to page 102 for the start of the discussion. Of course the FBI rightly dismissed the final version of the Graysmith solution, as parst of it seem very forced and feel wrong.

But the raw translation, before Graysmith tries to force it, was largely correct and done by generally accepted code principles.

http://foia.fbi.gov/zodiac/zodiac5.pdf

You can see it does indeed say "THEO" right before "SEE A NAME" - almost two decades before Theodore Kaczynski was known to the public.

THEO SEE A NAME Code Solution From 1979 FBI File.jpg
THEO SEE A NAME Code Solution From 1979 FBI File.jpg (64.47 KiB) Viewed 3738 times

Now lets look at the claim of the critic. Here is the 1979 FBI file version:

I L U E H E T H E O M H S

And now here is the old ZK Board solution from 2000, which is a modified version of the 1986 Graysmith solution:

I L U E H S T H E O L H S

What can we say based on this?

1. We can see that "THEO" does indeed appear in the 1979 version.

2. We can see that of the 9 letters surrounding "THEO", 7 of the 9 are identical between the 1979 and 2000 versions. The only differences are in the E/S and the M/L.

3. In the 1986 book by Robert Graysmith "Zodiac", he offers the translation on this third line as "SLEUTH SHOLD". While we don't have access to his raw translation from 1986, it appears that Graysmith by then HAD changed his "E" to an "S" - to get "SLEUTH", and his "M" to an "L" to get "SHOLD" (meaning "should"). Thus it seems almost certain that by 1986 - 10 years before the arrest of TJK - Graysmith had the identical translation as seen in the 2000 Old ZK Board solution.

4. In the case of the E/S question, it doesn't really matter anyway, as the "S" gives you a Caesar shifted "Y" on the +6 line, while an "E" gives you a Caesar shifted "Y" on the -6 line.

5. In the case of the M/L question, it does matter. With the "L" you can get an "I", which completes the Caesar translation of the whole line as "THEO KACZYNSKI". With an "M", you cannot get an "I", and thus the whole things crashes and fails for lack of the last letter needed, an "I". But we have seen that Graysmith almost certainly had by 1986 translated it as an "L", to get "SHOLD", and not as an "M". And in any event, when we look at the symbol in other places in the 340, we see that an "M" gives us the nonsensical "DUEM", "MEO", "BLMEI" and "SHAML", while the "L" translation gives us "DUEL", "LEO", BLLEI (possible anagram for BELLI or BELL) and "SHALL". A group of 4 researchers, 3 of whom have little to no interest in TJK as a suspect, agreed that in and of itself, seperate from any other considerations, the translation of "L" makes much more sense in the context of this proposed solution by Graysmith and fits very well, while the "M" seems not to fit at all. (Thanks to Morf, Linda, Sandy, thebigZ!)

Thus, the accusation of the critic is proven INCORRECT.

The third line of the Zodiac 340 Code, seen below, has all 13 letters translated in 1986.

When applied to a Caesar Code shift matrix of 0-3-6-9 shifts, you get the incredible result of THEO KACZYNSKI.

ZODIAC 340 Code

I would also be very much interested to see what Aqui and others think about my proposed 340 solution. I don't know if you can subject that to a probability and/or computer analysis. There are three stages to it. There is the actual proposed first stage solution - HERCEAN B I GIVE THEM HELL TOO THEO SEE A NAME THOSE FOOLSHALL SEE; then the words that appear vertically, backwards and diagonally like GAME, LIST, BOMBS, DUEL, LEASH, BARS; then the Caesar Code 0-3-6-9 application, just like in the Unsolved 18, that produces KACZYNSKI between THEO and SEE A NAME.

There are no cheats in this solution. Every one symbol translates to one letter. When you solve the first four lines, a lot of the rest of the code is filled in. And by the time you solve line eight, most of the rest of the code is filled in. The code solution provides clear English langauge words and phrases, and key Zodiac concepts and themes.

FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS PROBABILITY ANALYSIS ONLY, I WOULD ASK AQUI AND OTHERS TO ACCEPT (JUST FOR THE MOMENT) THAT THE PROPOSED FIRST STAGE SOLUTION IS CORRECT, OR AT LEAST POSSIBLY CORRECT.

Zodiac 340 Code Solution 1986 Graysmith.jpg
Zodiac 340 Code Solution 1986 Graysmith.jpg (55.89 KiB) Viewed 3860 times

Don and Bettye Harden, using their thoughts and analysis of what Zodiac would likely say, correctly guessed the opening line of the Zodiac 408 Code as "I like killing". That provided the key to solving the rest of the 408 code. And so it is the case here as well with the 340. The opening line provides the key to solving the code.

Here the opening line, perhaps inspired by Jack the Ripper's "MR. LUSK FROM HELL" opening on a letter, says:

HERB CAEN I GIVE THEM HELL TOO.

Zodiac does some word scrambles and anagrams to increase difficulty, sometimes creating alternate or hidden meanings. This opening line literally reads, perhaps alluding to the task of solving this code, that it is HERCEAN BIG. A task worthy of HERCULES, a difficult job, is called HERCULEAN, and here we have a shortened version HERCEAN, followed by BIG. And Zodiac suspect and then SF Bay area resident Theodore Kaczynski used HERCULES as an alias when he was a young man - he signed a letter as HERCULES.

As you decode the 340 and translate that first line as HERC EANB (HERB CAEN) I GIVE THE HELL TOO, on the 4th line the words SEE A NAME start to appear, and on the amazing 8th line appears THESE FOOLSHALL SEE.

What is it that we "shall see"? Right before SEE A NAME on the 4th line, on the 3rd line we see SLEU(TH) THEO. THEO is Greek for God. Is Zodiac proclaiming himself God, or mocking God? Or is THEO a clue to his name? Perhaps a clue to the name THEODORE Kaczynski, who like the Zodiac wrote taunting letters to police, demanded his words appear on the front page of the newspaper, designed bombs and threatened mass transit, was a serial killer and lived in the SF Bay area in the time frame.

Robert Graysmith then tried to force a solution out of some parts of the solution that were not as clear, because he did not realize that some those parts require a seperate second stage analysis using a Caesar Code method with letter shifts of 0, 3, 6 and 9.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
What follows below is very likely the correct solution to the mystery of the 9 letters around the THEO...SEE A NAME section of the decode, and it follows code principles and is mathematically consistent, and produces a stunning result:

R U D N Q B C Q N X U Q B
O R A K N Y Z N K U R N Y
L O X H K V W K H R O K V

F I R B E P Q E B L I E P
C F O Y B M N B Y I F B M
Z C L V Y J K Y V F C Y J

The number sequence to solve it is:

9 9 6 6 6 6 - 0 0 0 0 -3 3 0 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0
Z C AK N Y T H E O I K S S E E A N A M E

For the name, that breaks down as 99 6666 0000 33 0. That is clearly NOT random.

That is a number sequence of patterned repeats. Two digits repeat (99), then four digits repeat (6666), then four digits repeat (0000), then two digits repeat (33). Then it finishes off with the last letter of the name (0), and the SEEA is a four digits repeat (0000), and it finishes with yet another four digits repeat for NAME (0000). Amazing!

The letters involve only a very mild anagram application to get the name:

Z - CAK - NY - THEO - IKS

"KAC" appears exactly and perfectly backwards with values of:

"ZYN" has the "YN" part backwards with the "Z" put into place with values of:

"SKI" appears exactly and perfectly backwards with values of:

"THEO" appears as is, normal forward left to right read, with values of:

First Stage Solution - As Given:

9 9 - 6 6 6 6 - 0 0 0 0 - 3 3 - 0 - 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0
Z C - AK N Y - T H E O - I K -S - S E E A - N A M E

Final Solution - Letters Arranged To Spell Last Name:

0 0 0 0 - 6 6 9 9 6 6 0 3 3 - 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0
T H E O - K A C Z Y N S K I - S E E A - N A M E

AQUI - AND OTHERS - IN TERMS OF THE PROBABILITY STUDY RESULTS:

My question is, is it fair and reasonable to use the TBZ/Aqui Report numbers as follows?

Chance of THEO appearing is 0.069 or 6.9%

Chance of KACZYN appearing is 0.074 or 7.4%

Chance of both appearing in a continuous sequence of code, as they do here, is approx 0.005 or 0.5% or "One half of one percent".

I am quite certain that is correct, based on the numbers in the TBZ/Aquiman Probability Analysis Report.

In fact, the numbers above do NOT factor in that THEO appears as is, correct spelling, no anagrams, no Caesar Code shifts. And it does NOT factor in that KAC appears exactly backwards, as does YN, and it also does NOT factor in the appearance of the letters for SKI also exactly backwards. if those elements WERE to be factored in, the actual probability would be LOWER than the 0.5%.

Probability Analysis For Obtaining THEODOREJ and KACZYNSKI in a Random 9 Letter Section of Code.jpg
Report by Aquiman
Probability Analysis For Obtaining THEODOREJ and KACZYNSKI in a Random 9 Letter Section of Code.jpg (91.71 KiB) Viewed 3728 times
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Sun May 01, 2011 1:36 pm

He is still doing some numbers crunching, but I am hoping that very soon TBZ/Aquiman will post his report here and give his thoughts. Until then, here is an interesting little exchange we had at http://www.zodiackillersite.forummotion.com.

thebigZ/Aquiman:

Ok… So I posted the results, some “friendly” discussion has ensued as to their significance, I’ve checked and re-checked, pondered, etc. Some members (here and elsewhere) have PM’d me with some opinions and questions. Some have suggested that there “must be a mistake somewhere.” There may very well be; however, at this time, I think I’m going to stick by the numbers I came up with. I believe the real issue is what the results mean, rather than what they are. My interpretation is as follows:

1) The average likelihood of obtaining an 18 letter name/sequence (using AK’s Caesar shift and anagramming techniques) is roughly five percent. That is for ANY 18 letter sequence that can be obtained from this methodology. Depending on the amount of “overlap” of sets (i.e., sets formed by Caesar shifted letters), that likelihood will vary from anywhere between approximately one to ten percent. I believe what I have been able to successfully demonstrate (at least to myself) is that this likelihood is not nearly as high as once thought. Some had suggested it could be upwards of 95%; it is not.

2) You cannot obtain any name you want out of an 18 character sequence. It is impossible to determine the number of names that can be obtained, though it is likely that there are many possibilities.

3) If a name is obtained (even with its accompanying five percent likelihood), it would be faulty logic to assume that it was intentionally placed there. I think this is the “point of departure” between TJK code proponents and skeptics. I’ll give an example to demonstrate why I believe we cannot jump to any conclusions. Without getting into the detailed math, I’ll just state some poker hand probabilities. Here is the link if you want to check them out for yourself.

There are 2,598,960 possible 5-card poker hands. There are 5,148 ways of being dealt a flush (all five cards of the same suit). This number includes straight and royal flushes. So the probability that I am dealt any flush is 5,148/2,598,960 = 0.2%. Just because I am dealt a flush does not imply that the deck was stacked. Nor does it mean my flush is special (unless there’s money involved), because the probability of obtaining one set of five specific cards is exactly the same as obtaining any other. For example, I have as much of a chance being dealt a royal heart flush as I do of being dealt the 2 of clubs, 3 and 6 of spades, jack of diamonds, and ace of hearts. The fact is I cannot prove that the deck is stacked based on one hand alone. If I am dealt a flush in several hands in a row, however, I might suspect there is something going on. Therefore, we need to determine if the phenomenon of extracting a specific name from different sets of code is repeatable.

By “repeatable,” I’m suggesting that the same name can be extracted using the same methodology. I’m skeptical that this has been adequately shown. Even though AK et al have pulled TJK from different ciphers, it would be more convincing if identical sets of Caesar shifts were involved, otherwise I feel like I’m “looking” through the deck for another flush. Additionally, while I consider the 18 character decipherment from the 408 a distinct possibility, the 32 character decipherment leaves something to be desired… not because it’s impossible (it obviously IS possible), but because it ignores Zodiac’s instructions to consider “radians and # inches along the radians.” Regarding AK’s solution… could TJK have implied that Zodiac was a ticking time bomb buried inside the mathematician? Did we have to catch him (dig up the bomb) before he struck again (exploded)? Sure, I guess so. But it’s a bit of a stretch IMO.

Clearly, the extraction of a name from so many possibilities would not hold up in the eyes of LE… unless it was exactly repeatable. There are various ways to obtain the same name, though I really haven’t looked at it that closely. I certainly don’t believe the results of the analysis hurt the case for TJK; I just don’t believe they are very earth-shattering as they stand. There are many other reasons, which AK has repeatedly outlined, why TJK is a viable Z suspect. In general, however, I believe more work needs to be done to convince the skeptics and LE of the code solutions. AK has suggested there are "patterns" to the Caesar shift numbers. This is something else that needs to be examined a little more closely. It's on my list.

AK Wilks:

TBZ/Aquiman - As usual you make some excellent points. And as always you proceed in a cautious manner and demand proof and more studies, which is good. At this time, we may differ in just how significant your findings and the code work are - perhaps there will be a lot less difference in a month or so.

Funny that the critics insist "There must be a mistake in the numbers!" But they can't tell you where the mistake in your numbers or methods are! Thats weak. If there was a mistake, they would find it. They haven't, because I don't think there are any.

1. Yes. The critics said "any" letter string could produce the TJK name. Others told me in it would be 50% or more, 66% or more, 90% to 100%. Instead, we are looking at most at 5 to 10%, and for both more like 1%. I do take that as confirmation of one of the central aspects of why I argued the code results were significant.

2. Yes I agree. You cannot get "any name" out of the unsolved 18 or "any" other 18. You can get other names, but it is not the case that any 18 letter string will get you any 18 letter name, as argued by the critics.

3. Good analogy, and you give me some points to consider. Take the poker analogy - it is one thing if a dealer deals himself a straight flush. Ok, he got lucky...maybe. But then you ask him to produce a NEW deck of cards, and he does. And proceeds to deal himself a straight flush again. NOW you get suspicuous! You ask him to produce a new deck, he does, and deals himself an aces and kings full house. At that point, I think you leave the table, because you know something is up!

So, it is one thing to get the TJK 18 letter name in the unsolved 18, maybe with odds of 1 or 2%. OK, fine. Luck, coincidence, whatever. But then to get THEO KACZYNSKI from the 3rd line of the Graysmith solution to the Zodiac 340 Code from 1986? Where THEO appears as is, no anagrams, no shifts? And the last name appears as Z CAK NY ISK? And THEN to have the same 13 letter THEO KACZYNSKI appear in the Zodiac My Name Is Code, using for a 1st stage solution 8 translations from the Zodiac 408 Harden Key, 2 based on Harden Key and the 3 new Taurus symbols logically solved as a "T"? Then throw in the Map Code with the 18 letter TJK name...I think my proposed code solutions will stand or fall based on the appearance of the name in ALL the unsolved codes. That is where we get beyond odds and into the reality of PLACEMENT. If there is a 2 to 5% chance of the name appearing in any one code, what are the odds it appears in 4 seperate codes? Aren't we talking like 1 in 500 odds at that point, maybe even closer to 1 in 1,000?

I admit there are problems with the Map Code as I solved it. Your analysis reveals that getting an 18 letter name out of 18 letters is much, much more impressive odds wise then getting an 18 letter name out of 32 letters. Also, while I stand behind the TJK name and the numerical palindrome clue sequence on the map that produces it, I have never been as strong on the other 14 letters. In fact, I think "ZODIAC IN DOCTOR THEODORE J KACZYNSKI" may well be wrong. It may say "ZODIAC LINCOLN MT HEODORE J KACZYNSKI".

You are right to note Z says he is giving us a bomb location. Keep in mind, however, that Zodiac did make a threat against a bus then told the SF Chronicle it was a joke AND that Ted Kaczynski (as "FC" aka the Unabomber) threatened to blow up a jet out of LAX then later wrote the SF Chronicle and said it was a "prank". So I think the "map code to the hidden bomb" could be another trick.

And if it does say "LINCOLN MT", well, at that time Ted actually HAD buried guns, ammo, food and probably bombs there! Indeed a few months before Zodiac sent the Map Code (which I say had his name and location) he had left a letter at his parents home which they were worried was a suicide note. And Ted had wrote that he had hidden caches of guns, ammo, food and "weapons" (maybe bombs?) in anticipation of a fight with the police in which he "feverently hoped I will not be taken alive". Was the Map Code his way of "suicide by cop"? Giving them his name and general location, soon to be location? Did he later change his mind, as when he wrote 'might as well make some effort to avoid detection...I won't give up my life that easily', and perhaps send the message saying the map code was about "radians" as a way to throw off police efforts to solve it?

As for the method being "exactly repeatable" through all the codes, that is an interesting criticism. A fair one. I need to think about that more, but I would say the method is the same. A Caesar Code shift with 0-3-6-9 values. I never propose any method besides a Caesar shift, and I never propose any numbers besides 0-3-6-9. Also, all the codes rely most heavily on the 6 and 9 lines. The Map Code sequence matches a number that Zodiac creates on the map by placing the "9" on his crosshair between two "66" symbols. There are patterns in all the codes, most dealing with internal math, such as in the unsolved 18 all the shift numbers for THEODOREJ adding up to "33", which appears in that name, the numbers for "KACZYNSKI" adding up to "66", which appears in THAT name. There are differences in all the code solutions, they are not the same exact numbers. But the method is the same, many of the numbers similar and many of the patterns and math similar in concept.

Thanks again for your careful work and analysis TBZ/Aquiman! I look forward to seeing you post your work at unazod and zkf, and to seeing more of your study of other aspects of these codes.

Some critics of my code work complain about the anagram aspect.

But look at this.

This is the "CIF..." sequence created by using the Harden Key, the code key made by Zodiac, to solve 28 of the 32 symbols, in the order given by Zodiac in the Mt. Dibalo Phillips 66 Code letter. Look at the very "hot" sequence it naturally creates, which I have circled in red:

Zodiac Map Code YTHDRZIKZJOKO Sequence.jpg
Zodiac Map Code YTHDRZIKZJOKO Sequence.jpg (68.79 KiB) Viewed 3669 times

Y T H D R Z I K Z J O K O

Right there we have all these letters:

T H _ O D O R _ J K _ _ Z Y _ _ K I

12 of the 18 letters in Theodore J Kaczynski + an extra Z!!!

----------------------------------------------------------------

PROPOSED SOLUTION:

ZODIAC IN DOCTOR THEODORE J KACZYNSKI

POSSIBLE ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION - A LOCATION WHERE BOMBS WERE BURIED

Zodiac Map Code Lincoln MT Solution.jpg
Zodiac Map Code Lincoln MT Solution.jpg (57.78 KiB) Viewed 3616 times

ZODIAC LINCOLN MTHEODORE J KACZYNSKI

This could mean LINCOLN MTHEODORE = Lincoln, MT = Lincoln, Montana. Kaczynski was from Illinois, "The Land of Lincoln". And in summer of 1969, Ted Kaczynski had driven with his brother through or by the Deer Lodge-Lincoln-Helena area of Montana, and Ted remarked how beautiful and isolated it was. In September Zodiac mentioned Deer Lodge, Montana to victim Bryan Hartnell. From 1969 to 1971, Ted was "looking for land" in Canada, North California and Montana. At the time the Map Code was sent in 1970, he had already buried arms, ammo, food and probably bombs in parts of Montana, and in 1971 Ted would by a cabin one hour from Deer Lodge, in Lincoln, MT.

Also LINCOLN MTHEODORE
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Tue May 10, 2011 4:01 pm

UPDATE ***** NEW INFO AS OF MAY 2011***** UPDATE

* You can see the full results of the new Aquiman probabilty study and analysis here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=131

The study was done by someone who has a Masters in Applied Physics, works at a top ten research university, and does failure analsyis using computers and probabilty/statistical models as part of his regular work. He started off as a critic of the Kite - Wilks code work.

The results are quite amazing. They totally refute the critics who said the 18 letter name Theodore J Kaczynski could be found in "virtually any" letters string. They are a major first step towards computer confirmation that the Caesar Code method with 0-3-6-9 shifts WAS the way Zodiac hid his name in the codes.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Wed May 18, 2011 1:42 pm

KITE: The 340 cipher: ZCAKNY THEO IKS from ILUEHS THEO LHS 996666 330. The no-meaning backward C symbol marks the 13 that close out Line 3. The next words in the straight text are: SEE A NAME. BOMBS runs up diagonally to THEO. (PTEK LEASH) are nearby in Column 5, read vertically. Kaczynski uses (KEPT ON A LEASH) in his writings to lecture society.

AK:

L....S....E....*....I....L....U.....E....H....S....T.....H....E....O....L....H....S
S....E....E....A....N..A...M....E....B....W....E.....O....L....L....R....K....E
S....E....I....L.....L....L....F....M....I....A.....P.....I....L....L....S....G....A
E....M....R....N....P....A....O....D....E...M....A....G....P....C....E....T....T
O....A....L....S....T....B....N....E....U...*.....S.....H....B....L....L....E....I
..................S
............I
......L

So we have "LIST" leading to the "T" in "A L S T B", a probable anagram for "BLAST" (a word Zodiac used, something like 'when I have my BLAST'), with the "B" then forming a diagonal "BOMBS". Which leads us to "THEO", then "SEE A NAME". Also have "GAME". WHAT IS THE PROBABILITY OF SO MANY RELEVANT WORDS COMING OUT OF A RANDOM LETTER MATRIX?

What follows below is very likely the correct solution to the mystery of the 9 letters around the THEO...SEE A NAME section of the decode, and it follows code principles and is mathematically consistent, and produces a stunning result. Note that the name KACZYNSKI has THREE syllables, each which is THREE letters long - KAC, ZYN and SKI. Backwards they are CAK, NYZ and IKS.

What is stunning and defies probability is not just that the full name appears, but HOW it appears. It seems to have been seeded into the code, with KAC appearing backwards as CAK, then SKI appearing backwards as IKS, with ZYN appearing slightly scrambled as a Z then backwards as NY, with THEO right in the middle, all appearing right before SEE A NAME.

R U D N Q B C Q N X U Q B
O R A K N Y Z N K U R N Y
L O X H K V W K H R O K V

F I R B E P Q E B L I E P
C F O Y B M N B Y I F B M
Z C L V Y J K Y V F C Y J
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:20 pm

From WEBSLEUTHS:

Poster named MARGOTKIDDER:

I am replying to this post, but am quoting a passage from a post that you made on the first page.

"We also see THEO, which is Greek for GOD, and on a vertical downward under the "M" in BOMBS we see DEO, which is Latin for GOD."

Theo and Deo do mean "God" in greek and Latin, but the forms of the words have a different meaning in translation. I am not familiar with Classical Greek, but I believe the Nominative singular of God is Theos. In Latin, the nominative singular of God is Deus. It is a second declension masculine noun. The forms in sentence structure that it would take if it were the word "Deo" would be dative singular, indicating its usage as an indirect object...example: I drove God to the store, where God would be the subjected to the action of the verb. Or deo used as an singular ablative, which would indicate the word being used in conjunction with some sort of preposition, example: I drove to the store with God. However, there are about 15 different forms that an ablative could take.

I responded to this particular post because with all of the grammatical errors in his letter, spellings and what not, I do not see how this killer, if he did write this letter, would be so smart as to use classical Latin in an encrypted code but mispell and use poor grammar in his letter. If it is in intentional, how do you rationalize it?

I enjoyed your post.

AK:

Thank you very much! I am glad you find it interesting.

First to your question. Many think that the Zodiac mis-spelled words are intentional, an attempted misdirection on his part. Zodiac spelled many complex words correctly, like "ammonium nitrate", "fertilizer", "system" and many others. Yet he he also gave us "cid" for "kid" and many other wrongly spelled easy words. It seems an attempt to make detectives think he is uneducated. Remember also that Zodiac devised codes that the FBI and the military failed to break.

Ted Kaczynski used a similar misdirection as the Unabomber. He sent a letter to a prior victim Prof. Gerlernter, who had written in a book that 'anyone with a college degree can learn computers'. Kaczynski wrote him as the Unabomber and said (from memory) 'what about the rest of us? I suppose those wothout degrees don't coun't'. Ted recorded in his journal that this would make investigators think the Unabomber did not have a college degree - in fact Ted had a degree from Harvard and a PHD from Michigan, but the FBI profile said the Unabomber was likely an angry and undeducated airline mechanic.

Thank you for your information on "THEO" and "DEO". I personally think the most likely explanation for their appearance in the code is that "THEO" is the first four letters in the name "THEODORE", while "DEOR" has the last four. But in fairness I thought I should note that "THEO" is Greek for GOD and "DEO" Latin for GOD. I also thought it could be a double play, i.e., getting his name in there (to satisfy his ego) but also with a valid alternate explanation (God theme obscures true meaning). Your information puts a slightly different spin on it, so I will have to research that issue some more.

Is it not true that in a word like THEOLOGY, the prefix THEO means God or Diety? And while the Greeks believed in multiple Gods, assuming monotheism, would THEO be a rough translation as GOD?

Thanks again for the information.

Zodiac 340 Solution Marked.jpg
Zodiac 340 Solution Marked.jpg (93.04 KiB) Viewed 3368 times

MARGOTKIDDER:

I am not familiar at all with Greek...so to address your question...it would be greek to me, ha ha. Theo does mean god, but what I probably should have said is that the ending on the word will give you a different translation of it, as to how it is used in a sentence. So, while the word does mean God, you would know more about what the person is trying to say if you knew the endings of the words. You could translate better, I suppose.

These are the possible endings when you decline the noun Deus. The root of the word is de-, and you add the ending from there to get how it would be translated in a Latin sentence.

Nom. deus di (dei)
Voc. deus di (dei)
Acc. deum deos
Gen. dei deorum (deum)
Dat. deo dis (deis)
Abl. deo dis (deis

You have to memorize two parts of the word to get how to add the various endings. Deus, dei, masculine, second declension. You take i of of dei and get the root of the noun and add the various endings. This is only true for this word as there are some nouns that are irregular and would be done differently.

Nominative is when the word is the subject of the sentence. So if you look at the chart about Deus would be the subject singular in a sentence. God is good. Di or Dei is nominative plural--The Gods are good.

Vocative singular is Deus, and this case is when you are talking or addressing someone, to God. God, why did you do this to me? or Di/Dei again plural vocative, Gods!! Why did you do this to me!?

Genetive case refers to possession, or owning something. So dei, of the God's, or deorum/deum is of the (many) Gods'.

Anyway, accusative would be when it is used as a direct object and I already explained about dative and ablative.

I am going to look over your attachments and see if anything sticks out. Sorry for the long explanation but it may help and it is some basic knowledge about Latin. It may help you see something in the future that you had not before.
akwilks

Postby KITE on Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:03 am

I think a lot of that might be meant as a promotion of ancient cultures. And, perhaps the other end of that, a rejection of the post Industrial Revolution way of life and the direction it's leading, as Zodiac may see it. The possibilities of calling yourself The Zodiac, going back to Greek and Roman. THEO, DEO. The Hellenes, or otherwise some ancient culture used number for letters. CAESAR cipher. The possible alluding to Apollo, Jupiter, Hercules in the 340. Here's something interesting. As mentioned previously, there is the word FIND diagonally under the word BOMB. (FNDI). Now look at LIST, do the same pattern but go up and you have PEST(TESP). When Zodiac first mentions the little list, if I'm not mistaken, he uses the words pestilent nuisances, or else is that what was intended without the bad spelling? But that goes well with BOMB-FIND, and then here, LIST-PEST. Another idea is with the downward reading of DUEL. Leading up to that in the straight text is the possible decode of I PLANT MR. AH. Interesting how AH ends up right under DUEL, because that Alexander Hamilton died in a duel, if I'm not mistaken, was it the year 1803?
KITE

Postby KITE on Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:12 pm

So, in my opinion, what's going on here with the 340 is that the straight text is compromised in order to allow downward and diagonal words and otherwise word play with the arranagement. For example, the idea previously presented with running a downward (DUEL) while (I PLANT MR AH) runs under it from the straight text. Another example is the entire column 7 (NOUMFONOENEILASSESAG), possibly an allusion to the recent moon landing. Here's something else: A section from LINE 6: (PAODEMAGP). You have POE in a skip-a-letter fashion. You also have (P)A(O)D(EM)AGP (POEM). You also have PA(ODE)AGP (ODE). So there are straight readings of POE, POEM, ODE. The E there runs up to a diagonal arrangement of EA POE. The MAGP picks up an IES in a triangle like arrangement to complete MAGPIES, a bird of the corvine family, the same as crows or the raven. The straight text sentence that section is from is (PARDON ME AGCEPT TO). So the possible idea here is that with the wiggle room to maneuver allowed with anagrams and variations of broken sentences and incorrect spelling, the cipher-maker is afforded the chance to play these possible word games and hide cryptics.
KITE

Postby akwilks on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:37 pm

A poster at Websleuths named rlc posted:

This is going to sound stupid. Especially because I am not actually familiar with what I am looking at (I have not read about this case). But if you look at that set of letters AKWILKS posted as if it is a boggle board, there are a whole lot of words or pairs of words that make it seem like it could be some animal liberation person. Starting with bombs, continuing with the s, you can get "bombs save them". Then under that m, going backwards on the second line, you get "he set last".

I see eat and tail together 3 times. Things associated with captivity: bars, ties, stalls. Some names of animals, pigs, magpies, seals. I'm guessing it's just coincidence/probability, but I just thought I would throw it out there.

AK = Thats Amazing! Great job!

Many of these were found before by Zander Kite or myself, but some are new discoveries and putting it all together with that perspective it is quite interesting.

Zodiac sent bomb threats to the media, threatening to blow up a school bus full of children. Zodiac later denied he had set off a lethal bomb at a SFPD police station that killed an officer, though no one was ever caught. There were several unsolved bombings in San Francisco and Berkeley at the time, including one that took down a power line to a nuclear research facility.

A leading Zodiac suspect was then a professor at Berkeley, Ted Kaczynski, who believed in the supremacy of nature and wild animals over technology and talked often of the "restraints" of society and how it kept people on a "leash". Ted hunted animals for food, but believed he lived in harmony with nature, and championed wild animals and untouched nature over industrialization. Ted certainly did believe that as the Unabomber his bombs were the only way to save natural man, wild animals and nature from a biotechnological nightmare of genetically engineered humans and animals and a computer takeover.

I see these possibles:

THESE BOMBS SAVE THEM

DUEL

Backwards 2nd line: HE SET LAST (BOOT) or HE SET LAST TOO HELL

Animals: MAGPIES PIGS SEALS ARF TAIL EAT

Restraints: TIES LEASH BARS STALLS LASH BALL TAKE LOSE

Zodiac 340 THESE BOMBS SAVE THEM HE SET LAST BOOT ANIMALS RESTRAINTS.JPG
Zodiac 340 THESE BOMBS SAVE THEM HE SET LAST BOOT ANIMALS RESTRAINTS.JPG (67.31 KiB) Viewed 3205 times
akwilks

PreviousNext

Return to The Zodiac Case