Zodiac 340 Code Partial Solution & Caesar Code Analysis

Re: Zodiac 340 - Partial Solution

Postby akwilks on Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:46 pm

One thing maybe that I haven't made clear on this - the strange origin of this proposed solution to the Zodiac 340 Code...

This started, no doubt from Robert Graysmith, but I would urge all to cast aside your feelings pro or con on Graysmith in re Allen, because the code work Graysmith did here was NOT influenced by a desire to convict Allen. In fact, the Graysmith solution has the words "I give them Hell tooo TED", as well as "THEO see a name" and "mail KT" or "mail TK"!

Others worked on his raw solution, like Kite, Obiwan, Ed and Claston. The basic code principles used by Graysmith and the later researchers were solid and unbiased.

NOW HERE IS WHERE IT GETS WEIRD:

30 years after Graysmith worked out a proposed 340 solution, which has valid sentences in a normal left to right read, such as "I give them hell too", "see a name" and "these foolshall see", Kite and I started noticing things. What kind of things? Well, absolutely KEY Zodiac words likes BOMBS and LIST appearing diagonally. Perfect diagnols, correct spelling, no anagrams. And it actually starts from vertical DUEL, goes up diagonally with LIST and BOMBS, then connects with SEE A NAME, which appears right after THEO.

That extraordinary sequence is smoking gun proof that this is the CORRECT code solution, as it is virtually impossible that such words could appear by chance. They can only appear as they were intended by the codemaker himself, and that was the Zodiac.

THE KEY SEQUENCE:

A close up on a series of amazing word finds in the 340 solution.

Also interesting that Kaczynski has diagonal elements in his personal Unabomber decode method drawing. Once again using the Graysmith first stage, which appears in the 1978 FBI file, 18 years before Kaczynski was arrested:

L....S....E....*....I....L....U.....E....H....S....T.....H....E....O....L....H....S
S....E....E....A....N..A...M....E....B....W....E.....O....L....L....R....K....E
S....E....I....L.....L....L....F....M....I....A.....P.....I....L....L....S....G....A
E....M....R....N....P....A....O....D....E...M....A....G....P....C....E....T....T
O....A....L....S....T....B....N....E....U...*.....S.....H....B....L....L....E....I
..................S
............I
......L

So we have "LIST" leading to the "T" in "A L S T B", a probable anagram for "BLAST" (a word Zodiac used, something like 'when I have my BLAST'), with the "B" then forming a diagonal "BOMBS". Which leads us to "THEO", then "SEE A NAME". Also have "GAME". Keep in mind the following:

* Graysmith never noticed and never claimed that "BOMBS" appears as noted here, so we can rule out an intentional force of that word. It either appears by coincidence or was put there intentionally by Zodiac. If coincidence, then it is also by coincidence that it comes from an anagram for "BLAST" and leads us to "THEO".

* This Graysmith decode was done around 1978, before anyone had heard of Theodore Kaczynski.

* Then and now, Graysmith favors Allen as a suspect, not Kaczynski.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:55 pm

AK = Zodiac gave a first stage solution as best he could with words like PILLS GAME, BALL, I GIVE THEM HELL TOO, SEE A NAME, THESE FOOLSHALL SEE, etc. Clues and hints, parts of a message. Which also is a false lead trap for the unknowing. But which also sets the stage for application of the Caesar Code shift using 0-3-6-9 values. And KITE is right, about a dozen different things have to happen exactly that way for the THEO KACZYNSKI find to come out in such a programmed manner. It is like dealing yourself a royal straight flush by accident, three times in a row, if this is a coincidence. It is way, way beyond any reasonable coincidence.

I have yet to see any critic of the proposed Caesar Code 0-3-6-9 solutions come forward with any reasonable alternate explanation of this find.

The bottom line is that IF the Caesar Code analysis by Kite, myself and others is correct, it does more than reveal how Zodiac did his codes - it essentially solves the case, as it reveals the name of major Zodiac suspect, someone who lived in the are at the time, and who we now know was capable of murder, bomb making, creating complex codes and writing threat letters to police demanding to be printed in the newspaper.

So people know what we are talking about:

You can see the Graysmith solution in the 1979 FBI file. Interestingly, he translates the third line as:

L S E - I L U E H S T H E O L H S

Note: This is before - about 18 years before - a certain person named Theodore Kaczynski was arrested and known to the public. (And, of course, Graysmith then and now favors Allen as a suspect). So, after the "-" break, we have "THEO" and then nine letters. Then, the FBI file from the 1979 reveals the first part of next line translated as:

S E E A N A M E

So, if we put any stock in this 1979 Graysmith translation, which uses Harden Key, basic ETA word frequency and word solve principles, basically confirmed years later by Kite, Obiwan, others and myself, we might think Zodiac is telling us to look for his name, and that his first NAME is or involves "THEO" and then nine other letters.

So let us take a look:

R U D N Q B C Q N X U Q B
O R A K N Y Z N K U R N Y
L O X H K V W K H R O K V

I L U E H S T H E O L H S

F I R B E P Q E B L I E P
C F O Y B M N B Y I F B M
Z C L V Y J K Y V F C Y J

Now here is how I solve it:

The number sequence to solve it is:

9 9 6 6 6 6 - 0 0 0 0 -3 3 0 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0
Z C AK N Y T H E O I K S S E E A N A M E

For the name, that breaks down as 99 6666 0000 33 0. That is clearly NOT random.

That is a number sequence of patterned repeats. Two digits repeat (99), then four digits repeat (6666), then four digits repeat (0000), then two digits repeat (33). Then it finishes off with the last letter of the name (0), and the SEEA is a four digits repeat (0000), and it finishes with yet another four digits repeat for NAME (0000). Amazing!

Think of the number sequence this way, and ask yourself the odds that it is random:

The letters involve only a very mild anagram application to get the name:

Z CAK NY THEO IKS.

"KAC" appears exactly and perfectly backwards
"SKI" appears exactly and perfectly backwards
"THEO" appears as is, normal forward left to right read, correct spelling, no anagrams.

Solution:

THEO KACZYNSKI SEE A NAME

9 9 - 6 6 6 6 - 0 0 0 0 - 3 3 - 0 - 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0
Z C - AK N Y - T H E O - I K - S - S E E A - N A M E

From UNAZOD poster KITE (edited by AK):

There are a series of coincidences to consider.

First, that the name THEO is there in the first place. It compomises the text at just that point.

Second, is that SEE A NAME follows it, such an appropriate cryptic tease.

And then the number pattern(9 9 - 6 6 6 6 - 0 0 0 0 - 3 3 0) and breaking up of the name(ZC - AKNY - THEO - IKS) and the Caesar mechanics necessary for it to fall into place are just absolutely unbelievable.

Then you have a diagonal LIST and then BOMBS that runs right up to THEO. To have a diagonal BOMBS run right into a vertical THEO is a coincidence all its own as applied to a possible Zodiac suspect--UnaBOMBer THEOdore Kaczynski.

AK - What Kite and I propose the Zodiac did above - a multi stage complex numbers and math based cipher which uses diagonal elements - is IN FACT what Kaczynski later did for his personal Unabomber code system, only by then it was a little more complex. (Thanks to Aaron T for the video). Note in particular the part that starts around the 2:00 mark, with what Ted called his "Unscrambling Sequence".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EHgfn_brPU
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:29 pm

A poster on another forum named "Believe09" thought that the Zodiac 340 First Stage Solution (Graysmith-1979 FBI File-Kite And Other Old ZK Board Researchers) showed possible influences from poet William Blake, in particular from this poem.

Keep in mind the translated 340 solution line:

these foolshall see

among others. And consider how a "wise man" like Ted Kaczynski "sees" a TREE (and NATURE) compared to the "FOOLS".

Remember too the Zodiac interest in time (telling Bates it was "TIME to die"), watches and clocks, and the 0-3-6-9 of a clock face.

WILLIAM BLAKE

The Marriage of Heaven and Hell - An Excerpt
In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy.
Drive your cart and your plow over the bones of the dead.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
Prudence is a rich, ugly old maid courted by Incapacity.
He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence.
The cut worm forgives the plow.
Dip him in the river who loves water.
A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.
He whose face gives no light, shall never become a star.
Eternity is in love with the productions of time.
The busy bee has no time for sorrow.
The hours of folly are measur'd by the clock; but of wisdom,
no clock can measure.

All wholesome food is caught without a net or a trap.
Bring out number, weight and measure in a year of dearth.
No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings.
A dead body revenges not injuries.
The most sublime act is to set another before you.
If the fool would persist in his folly he would become wise.
Folly is the cloak of knavery.
Shame is Pride's cloke.
Prisons are built with stones of law,
brothels with bricks of religion.
The pride of the peacock is the glory of God.
The lust of the goat is the bounty of God.
The wrath of the lion is the wisdom of God.
The nakedness of woman is the work of God.
Excess of sorrow laughs. Excess of joy weeps.
The roaring of lions, the howling of wolves,
the raging of the stormy sea, and the destructive sword,
are portions of eternity, too great for the eye of man.
The fox condemns the trap, not himself.
Joys impregnate. Sorrows bring forth.
Let man wear the fell of the lion,
woman the fleece of the sheep.
The bird a nest, the spider a web,
man friendship.
The selfish, smiling fool, and the sullen,
frowning fool shall be both thought wise,
that they may be a rod.
What is now proved was once only imagin'd.
The rat, the mouse, the fox, the rabbit watch the roots;
the lion, the tyger, the horse, the elephant watch the fruits.
The cistern contains: the fountain overflows.
One thought fills immensity.
Always be ready to speak your mind, and a base man will avoid you.
Every thing possible to be believ'd is an image of truth.
The eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the crow.
The fox provides for himself, but God provides for the lion.
Think in the morning. Act in the noon. Eat in the evening. Sleep in the night.
He who has suffer'd you to impose on him, knows you.
As the plow follows words, so God rewards prayers.
The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
Expect poison from the standing water.
You never know what is enough unless you know what is more than enough.
Listen to the fool's reproach! it is a kingly title!
The eyes of fire, the nostrils of air,
the mouth of water, the beard of earth.
The weak in courage is strong in cunning.
The apple tree never asks the beech how he shall grow;
nor the lion, the horse, how he shall take his prey.
The thankful receiver bears a plentiful harvest.
If others had not been foolish, we should be so.
The soul of sweet delight can never be defil'd.
When thou seest an eagle, thou seest a portion of genius;
lift up thy head!
As the caterpiller chooses the fairest leaves to lay her eggs on,
so the priest lays his curse on the fairest joys.
To create a little flower is the labour of ages.
Damn braces. Bless relaxes.
The best wine is the oldest, the best water the newest.
Prayers plow not! Praises reap not!
Joys laugh not! Sorrows weep not!
The head Sublime, the heart Pathos, the genitals Beauty,
the hands and feet Proportion.
As the air to a bird or the sea to a fish,
so is contempt to the contemptible.
The crow wish'd every thing was black,
the owl that every thing was white.
Exuberance is Beauty.
If the lion was advised by the fox, he would be cunning.
Improvement makes strait roads;
but the crooked roads without improvement are roads of genius.
Sooner murder an infant in its cradle than nurse unacted desires.
Where man is not, nature is barren.
Truth can never be told so as to be understood, and not be believ'd.
Enough! or too much.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:16 pm

Under conventional code principles you cannot "double dip" in a Casesar Code matrix, i.e., use two letters from the same line. But just to look at something, considering that serial killers are not always real big on following rules, and because anyone, even a genius, can make mistakes.

So let us just look at this not as a pure conventional code but as partly a word puzzle, with one double dip, as if the codemaker anticipated that the solver would create a chart like the one below, a Caesar Code matrix with 0-3-6-9 values:

Looking at this we can get:

I - CAK - NYZ - THEO - IK - S
0 - 966 - 666 - -0000 - 33 - 0

So that KAC appears exactly backwards, ZYN appears exactly backwards as does SKI. And in that order! KAC - ZYN - SKI.

To solve as:

I THEO KACZYNSKI

Just another way of looking at it, IF you allow for the possibility of an intentional or unintentional double dip.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I posted that above just to explore all ideas. To be clear, I think what follows below is very likely the correct solution, and it follows code principles and is mathematically consistent:

The number sequence to solve it is:

9 9 - 6 6 6 6 - 0 0 0 0 - 3 3 0 - 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0
Z C - A K N Y -T H E O - I K S -S E E A - N A M E

For the name, that breaks down as 99 6666 0000 33 0. That is clearly NOT random.

That is a number sequence of patterned repeats. Two digits repeat (99), then four digits repeat (6666), then four digits repeat (0000), then two digits repeat (33). Then it finishes off with the last letter of the name (0), and the SEEA is a four digits repeat (0000), and it finishes with yet another four digits repeat for NAME (0000). Amazing!

The letters involve only a very mild anagram application to get the name:

Z - CAK - NY - THEO - IKS

"KAC" appears exactly and perfectly backwards with values of:

"ZYN" has the "YN" part backwards with the "Z" put into place with values of:

"SKI" appears exactly and perfectly backwards with values of:

"THEO" appears as is, normal forward left to right read, with values of:

First Stage Solution - As Given:

9 9 - 6 6 6 6 - 0 0 0 0 - 3 3 - 0 - 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0
Z C - AK N Y - T H E O - I K -S - S E E A - N A M E

Final Solution - Letters Arranged To Spell Last Name:

0 0 0 0 - - 6 6 9 9 6 6 0 3 3 - 0 0 0 0 - 0 0 0 0
T H E O - K A C Z Y N S K I - S E E A - N A M E
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:21 pm

I sort of conceptualized something interesting, a new way way to illustrate how amazing this line in the 340 truly is.

Keep in mind this comes from Robert Graysmith and the 1979 FBI file, with minor revisions by some old ZK Board posters. But 95% of the solution was done in 1979, almost two decades before the identity of the Unabomber became known. So this CANNOT be forced or rigged! Because it was done by someone who thinks - then and now - that Allen was the Zodiac, and it was done 17 years before the identity of the Unabomber was known.

This is the key line in the 1979 proposed Zodiac 340 solution:

Now lets take out THEO:

I L U E H S L H S

And that gives us the 9 letters that with Caesar Code application of 0-3-6-9 shifts gives us KACZYNSKI.

Let me show how Ted could have used the letters in his name to come up with this sequence - I L U E H S L H S - using a Caesar Code matrix:

T J L I H W B T R
Q G I F E T Y Q O
N D F C B Q V N L

K A C Z Y N S K I

H X Z W V K P H F
E U W T S HM E C
B R T Q P E J B Z

Now lets see how (perhaps thinking of CLUE and/or SLEUTH) he could have encoded his name by Caesar Code shifts of 0-3-6-9 and came with the same sequence we see in the 1979 Zodiac 340 solution:

T J L I H W B T R
Q G I F E T Y Q O
N D F C B Q V N L

K A C Z Y N S K I

H X Z W V K P H F
E U W T S HM E C
B R T Q P E J B Z

6 6 9 9 6 6 0 3 3

That gives us: E U L I S H S H L

Lets look:

E U L I S H S H L with values of 66 99 66 0 33 for
K A CZ Y N S K I

Now look at the 340 solution sequence of:

I L U E H S L H S

And perhaps to increase difficulty of solution HE REVERSES IT so lets look at the 340 solution sequence REVERSED:

S H L S H E U L I

Lets use color to illustrate the three parts of the name - KAC, ZYN and SKI - each with three letters:

S H L S H E U L I and compare it to the sequence for:

E U L I S H S H L
K A C Z Y N S K I

With one minor shift of the "I" to increase difficulty, it is an exact match!
akwilks

Postby KITE on Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:48 am

The following possibility is just an absolutely crazy 340 cryptic curiousity, in my opinion. Just reviewing what each letter stands for in the 340 solution, for example: (A=A B=L C=A D=T E=E). Okay, now I'm just gonna look at 11 symbols in particular(10 are letter-symbols(2 of those are backward letters) and one symbol). The eleven are: (Backward J, Backward Y, C, D, K, M, N, O, R, Z, and the symbol O, colored in top half). Those symbols translate: J=F, Y=S, C=A, D=T, K=K, M=I, N=H, O=O, R=R, Z=E, Symbol O=E. Now, only allowing for the symbol O with color to be the letter O(and afterall it is (or otherwise takes the appearance of) an altered O), you have 22 letters there, involved. So what are those 22 letters again? >>>>They are>>>>(JFYSCADTKKMINHOORRZEOE). Is it believable that those 22 letters do, in fact, anagram out to, exactly, FROM THEODORE J KACZYNSKI? They do!!! If I'm not mistaken, if I did not err in the process, they, in fact, do!!! That's absolutely crazy, in my opinion. Well, yeah, one of the O's in THEODORE has a colored top half, but put it in the O in THEO and it's a nice touch. Could something like this really just fall into place by chance? Put it to the test. Try and make words and names in this fashion. Do more letters make it more difficult, less letters less difficult? Is this another situation where essentially no other names can survive the process, essentially-except TJK?
KITE

Postby KITE on Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:41 am

The poem is interesting. Consider a section of translated 340: (PHNEAEAKL*BALLLSLSVEESEAECBUEADLI*LWLLSTOENLEITHER). The 2 asterisk represent the backward c symbol which means nothing. Unjumbled: PHANE LAKE B SLLLLAVES BEECAUSE DEAL WILLL STOLEN EITHER. Without multiple letters and errors, perhaps reading: (Phone Lake B. Slaves Because Deal Will Stolen Either.) But let me write it again and notice where the asterisk are, again? PHANE (EAKL*B) ALLLSLSVE ESEAECBU EADL (I*LWL)L STOENL EITHER. So, you can see the words there as possible allusion, perhaps?
KITE

Postby akwilks on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:54 pm

KITE = "Just reviewing what each letter stands for in the 340 solution, for example: (A=A B=L C=A D=T E=E). Okay, now I'm just gonna look at 11 symbols in particular(10 are letter-symbols(2 of those are backward letters) and one symbol). The eleven are: (Backward J, Backward Y, C, D, K, M, N, O, R, Z, and the symbol O, colored in top half). Those symbols translate: J=F, Y=S, C=A, D=T, K=K, M=I, N=H, O=O, R=R, Z=E, Symbol O=E. Now, only allowing for the symbol O with color to be the letter O(and afterall it is (or otherwise takes the appearance of) an altered O), you have 22 letters there, involved. So what are those 22 letters again? >>>>They are>>>>(JFYSCADTKKMINHOORRZEOE). Is it believable that those 22 letters do, in fact, anagram out to, exactly, FROM THEODORE J KACZYNSKI? They do!!! If I'm not mistaken, if I did not err in the process, they, in fact, do!!! That's absolutely crazy, in my opinion."

AK = That is interesting! Also consider the first and last lines of the 340 as it appeared, unsolved, in the newspaper - THEODOR and KAZNSKI.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:56 pm

KITE wrote:The poem [BY WILLIAM BLAKE] is interesting. Consider a section of translated 340: (PHNEAEAKL*BALLLSLSVEESEAECBUEADLI*LWLLSTOENLEITHER). The 2 asterisk represent the backward c symbol which means nothing. Unjumbled: PHANE LAKE B SLLLLAVES BEECAUSE DEAL WILLL STOLEN EITHER. Without multiple letters and errors, perhaps reading: (Phone Lake B. Slaves Because Deal Will Stolen Either.) But let me write it again and notice where the asterisk are, again? PHANE (EAKL*B) ALLLSLSVE ESEAECBU EADL (I*LWL)L STOENL EITHER. So, you can see the words there as possible allusion, perhaps?

AK = BLAKE WILL.

WILL(iam) BLAKE.

I never was convinced that EAKL B meant "Lake Berryessa", that seemed a bit of a stretch to me.

Considering we know Zodiac was influenced or mentioned stories/books/movies like "Most Dangerous Game", "Exorcist", and perhaps Edgar Allan Poe and others, I don't rule out the Blake reference.

The possible Blake conection was mentioned above, it says in part:

A poster on another forum named "Believe09" thought that the Zodiac 340 First Stage Solution (Graysmith-1979 FBI File-Kite And Other Old ZK Board Researchers) showed possible influences from poet William Blake, in particular from this poem.

Keep in mind the translated 340 solution line:

these foolshall see

among others. And consider how a "wise man" like Ted Kaczynski "sees" a TREE (and NATURE) compared to the "FOOLS".

Remember too the Zodiac interest in time (telling Bates it was "TIME to die"), watches and clocks, and the 0-3-6-9 of a clock face.

WILLIAM BLAKE

The Marriage of Heaven and Hell - An Excerpt
In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy.
Drive your cart and your plow over the bones of the dead.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
Prudence is a rich, ugly old maid courted by Incapacity.
He who desires but acts not, breeds pestilence.
The cut worm forgives the plow.
Dip him in the river who loves water.
A fool sees not the same tree that a wise man sees.
He whose face gives no light, shall never become a star.
Eternity is in love with the productions of time.
The busy bee has no time for sorrow.
The hours of folly are measur'd by the clock; but of wisdom,
no clock can measure.

All wholesome food is caught without a net or a trap.
Bring out number, weight and measure in a year of dearth.
No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings.
A dead body revenges not injuries.
akwilks

Postby KITE on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:31 pm

AK- Not only do I believe it is Lake B. in the 340 cipher, I'm actually considering the idea that Lake B was intentionally chosen by Zodiac. Here's what I mean by that. The Unabomber, for example, may have used the allusion to WOOD. What if Zodiac, in his warped way, also alluded to things. Zodiac said "Melvin eats blubber" so was Lake Herman alluding to Moby Dick and a sort of nature defeats man theme. Here are some possibilities for allusion. (Lake Herman-Melville)(Blue Rock-Bell Rock) (Lake Beryessa(Lake B)-Blake)(Presidio Heights-Trees). Remember also the Unabomber identifying number possibly switches to the letters (EOCBYDMIN). But I believe the possibly alluding to the Marriage of Heaven and Hell would fit, in my opinion. Using THEO(Greek for God) as a sort of common denominator, the first line: I GIVE THEM HELL TOO. THEO is a god in the heavens(Greek system had many gods?) but gives them hell too. Something like that is a possibility. And that common denominator branches to allusion to the gods HERC JUPITER and APOLLO. HERC is the first four letters of the cipher. JUPITER possibly involves the EA POE diagonal and a possible allusion to The Gold Bug story which includes cryptography and a character named Jupiter. Apollo perhaps is what Column Seven(vertical downward reading) is about. It reads: NOUMFONOENEILASSESAG. Now allow me to break that up: NOUMFO NOE NEILASS ESAG. That's still in order, but now in individual anagram: FUMOON ONE NEILASS SAGE. What I think you could have there are shortened words, perhaps arguable sarcasm, but perhaps referring to the recent Apollo mission to the moon. (Full Moon). (ONE) small step. I believe the last 4(ESAG) is really a signature(SAGE)-wise man. ONE technology, but ONE wise man whose destiny it is to destroy technology(as Zodiac may see it). Perhaps that's what the downward reading of DUEL is about. And, also, the word SAGE could have been taken from (S)PACE (AGE), a sarcastic, perhaps sneering touch. And, going back to the Blake poem and the part about fools and trees. The 340 line reads THESE FOOL SHALL SEE MT. MT could stand for Many Trees. And why would fools see many trees and why are they fools in the first place? Zodiac perhaps sees people as fools for being KEPT in BARS TILL they LOSE the LEASH society has hold of them by. And if Zodiac believes himself the chosen one to bring it back to nature, so to speak, then perhaps he believes these fools shall see many trees because trees can bloom in weeks once the leashes and bars are stripped away, also, so to speak.(As Zodiac may see it.)
KITE

PreviousNext

Return to The Zodiac Case