Zodiac 340 Code Partial Solution & Caesar Code Analysis

Zodiac 340 Code Partial Solution & Caesar Code Analysis

Postby akwilks on Tue May 05, 2009 1:04 pm

340: Ah, the big one. The hardest one. The one I still have about 35% of it I am working on. I looked at many, many proposed solutions over the years.

Graysmith actually made a decent first stage solution, before he starts trying to force words out nothing. His "blast me bullshit pills game" baby talk gibberish solution. As one poster said, unless Zodiac suffered a major head injury after writing the first code, the Graysmith solution is not correct. But his first stage solution, before he mucks it up, was based in part on using the Harden Key and in part on general code solving principles like ETA frequency analysis and word solving.

Then on the old ZK board, I found were several posters - including Ray, Glen Claston, Lapumo, Ed and others - hashed around this and other 340 ideas. Then, none other than Mr. Kite went through the Graysmith first stage solution and following his own ideas, but also using a mix of Harden Key, ETA frequency and word solves, came up with a solution very much like the Graysmith first stage, with a few differences. Obiwan then worked on it and posted it in the right order and format. I then took this, and using Harden and ETA, made just a few changes. The biggest was that they had a backwards "C" as a blank, or "-". I have it that it starts out as that, but then becomes a "V". Other than that, I made just a few changes to the Graysmith - Kite - Obiwan solution.

You can see the Graysmith solution in the 1970's FBI file. Interestingly, he translates the third line as:

L S E - I L U E H S T H E O L H S

Note: This is before - about 18 years before - a certain person named Theodore Kaczynski was arrested and known to the public. (And, of course, Graysmith then and now favors Allen as a suspect). So, after the "-" break, we have "THEO" and then nine letters. Then, the FBI file from the 1970's reveals the first part of next line translated as:

S E E A N A M E

So, if we put any stock in this 1970's Graysmith translation, which uses Harden and ETA, somewhat confirmed years later by Kite, Obiwan, others and myself, we might think Zodiac is telling us to look for his name, and that his first NAME is or involves "THEO" and then nine other letters.

So let us take a look:

R U D N Q B C Q N X U Q B
O R A K N Y Z N K U R N Y
L O X H K V W K H R O K V

I L U E H S T H E O L H S

F I R B E P Q E B L I E P
C F O Y B M N B Y I F B M
Z C L V Y J K Y V F C Y J

Now here is how I solve it:

R U D N Q B C Q N X U Q B
O R A K N Y Z N K U R N Y
L O X H K V W K H R O K V

I L U E H S T H E O L H S

F I R B E P Q E B L I E P
C F O Y B M N B Y I F B M
Z C L V Y J K Y V F C Y J

The number sequence to solve it is:

9 9 6 6 6 6 0 0 0 0 3 3 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Z C AK N Y T H E O I K S S E E A N A M E

For the name, that breaks down as 99 6666 0000 33 0. That is clearly NOT random.

The letters involve only a mild anagram to get the name:

Z CAK NY THEO IKS. "KAC" appears backwards, "SKI" appears backwards, and "THEO" appears as is.

Solution:

THEO KACZYNSKI SEE A NAME

I will post my proposed solutions to at least 15 other lines of the 340 over the next day or so.

Code solution, work, text and analysis Copyright 2009 By AK Wilks
All Zodiac 340 Code solutions, work, text and analysis on this Board Copyright 2009 By AK Wilks

UPDATE ***** NEW INFO AS OF MAY 2011***** UPDATE

* You can see the full results of the new Aquiman probabilty study and analysis here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=131

The study was done by someone who has a Masters in Applied Physics, works at a top ten research university, and does failure analsyis using computers and probabilty/statistical models as part of his regular work. He started off as a critic of my code work.

The results are quite amazing. They totally refute the critics who said the 18 letter name Theodore J Kaczynski could be found in "virtually any" letters string. They are a major first step towards computer confirmation that the Caesar Code method with 0-3-6-9 shifts WAS the way Zodiac hid his name in the codes.
Last edited by akwilks on Tue May 10, 2011 3:55 pm, edited 7 times in total.
akwilks

Re: Zodiac 340 - Partial Solution

Postby KITE on Fri May 08, 2009 3:29 am

AK. I am absolutely awed by what you found in 340. I can't quite put it into words, amazing in and of itself, but also overwhelming when considered in the totality of its attachment to Enoch W. Fischer and the Unknown 18. It's perfect, the empty space backward C symbol starts the string of 13 to the end with SEE A NAME beginning the next. ZCAK NY THEO IKS. That pattern is unbelievable. The sentence, apparently, was meant as LUEHST HEOLHS SEE A NAME BWEOL LRKESEILL LFMI. (Sleuth Should See A Name Below Killers Film). But once again perfect....The only altered section involves THEO and the only unjumbled text is SEE A NAME. But I have something to add to it, I think, and I should start by saying I believe that the Graysmith solution is a showcase of brilliance and determination and that every single symbol in the text is correctly translated, but, of course encircling the jumbles can be difficult and differ according to the encircler.
L....S....E....*....I....L....U.....E....H....S....T.....H....E....O....L....H....S
S....E....E....A....N...A...M.....E....B....W....E.....O....L....L....R....K....E
S....E....I....L.....L....L....F....M....I....A.....P.....I....L....L....S....G....A
E....M....R....N....P....A....O....D....E...M....A....G....P....C....E....T....T
O....A....L....S....T....B....N....E....U...*.....S.....H....B....L....L....E....I
Go to the B in the last line and you'll see that followed up diagonally it reads BOMBS and brings you to THEO. And keep in mind that the B is from the word BLAST. Also, I didn't write this part out but if you follow straight down under the M in BOMBS, you have DEORS.
KITE

Postby KITE on Fri May 08, 2009 3:47 am

Here's another diagonal from the 340.
M....T....I....L....K.....L....E.....R....E....P....L....*.....S....A....A....S....K
D....L....A....U....B.....L....N.....S....L....O....E....A....T....H....L....S....D
U....L....R....A....A.....L....E.....I....T....A....L.....E....K....T....I....S....O
E....T....*....A.....R....S.....I.....E....A...T.....A....I.....L....L....L....L....P
L....A....E....S.....S....O.....L....H....I....A.....P....L....*....T....N....M....R
A...H....P....H.....N....E.....A....E....A....K.....L....*....B....A....L....L....L
S....L....S....V.....E....E.....S....E....A....E.....C....B....U....E....A....D....L
On the first line go to the S on the 13th position, follow it diagonally southwest, and you'll have SALTIES. A SALTIE is a sea-going vessel found on the GREAT LAKES and of course, if I'm not mistaken in any way, that includes the one off Chicago. But what is totally unbelievable about this cyrptic is that it cuts thru both LAKE words. Look at the L(ALEK) and the E(EAKL) from the word SALTIES. If you want to include that the last S reads SEA, but mainly appreciate the unbelievability of the GREAT LAKES vessels SALTIE going thru 2 LAKE words. Actually, you may only want to view this cryptic as SALTIE singular, your discretion.
KITE

Postby akwilks on Fri May 08, 2009 11:37 am

Thanks for the comments Mr. Kite! As you can see I have taken the work by Graysmith, yourself and others (but mainly you) and built on it.

The "BOMBS" find is perfect, and leads right to THEO. I think that was a clearly placed secondary message and clue. A significant find.

I see the other one as more likely saying "Salt Lake". Lake Michigan is off Chicago and is a salt lake, but called one of the "Great" Lakes. TJK also went to the University of Michigan. Probably the only major university that shares a name with a salt lake. Or could it be a reference to Utah, or just a coincidence?

Look at "ASK". What comes right after that? "DLA" Add a shift value of +3 to each letter. "GOD". "ASK GOD". In my 340 translation, the full sentence reads:

"WHO SHOULD I KILL NEXT? ASK YOUR GOD THAT KILLS PEOPLE JUST LIKE THE ZODIAC"

I will try to get the first 16 lines, before the code undergoes a tricky shift, posted here over the weekend.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Sun May 10, 2009 11:56 am

Also interesting that Kaczynski has diagonal elements in his personal decode method drawing. Mr. Kite I added color elements and some observations building on your find posted just last week. Once again mainly using the Graysmith first stage, which appears in the 1978 FBI file, 18 years before Kaczynski was arrested:

L....S....E....*....I....L....U.....E....H....S....T.....H....E....O....L....H....S
S....E....E....A....N..A...M....E....B....W....E.....O....L....L....R....K....E
S....E....I....L.....L....L....F....M....I....A.....P.....I....L....L....S....G....A
E....M....R....N....P....A....O....D....E...M....A....G....P....C....E....T....T
O....A....L....S....T....B....N....E....U...*.....S.....H....B....L....L....E....I

So we have "A L S T B", a probable anagram for "BLAST" (a word Zodiac used, something like 'when I have my BLAST'), with the "B" then forming a diagonal "BOMBS". Which leads us to "THEO", then "SEE A NAME". Keep in mind the following:

* Graysmith never noticed and never claimed that "BOMBS" appears as noted here, so we can rule out an intentional force of that word. It either appears by coincidence or was put there intentionally by Zodiac. If coincidence, then it is also by coincidence that it comes from an anagram for "BLAST" and leads us to "THEO".

* This Graysmith decode was done around 1978, before anyone had heard of Theodore Kaczynski.

* Then and now, Graysmith favors Allen as a suspect, not Kaczynski.

* The six letters before THEO and the three letters after are decoded as KACZYNSKI using the Caesar 0-3-6-9 method. The whole 13 letter sequence decodes as "THEO KACZYNSKI", using the number sequence of "99 6666 0000 33 0", then followed by "SEE A NAME", produced by values of "000 0 0000". See my full work above at the start of this post.
akwilks

Postby KITE on Sun May 10, 2009 2:22 pm

AK and everyone else, I've got to be honest here, I just can't get over this. Now I'm only going to talk in terms so far as to suggest the idea that the real Zodiac was using the name Theo Kaczynski, but really, how much wiggle-room doubt remains with something so obvious as this(That the cipher solution is correct and that the name Kaczynski was used). There has to be doubt, it's the proper way to proceed, but there also has to be an obedience to realism. And I say obvious, but I am only able to use such a strong word with the April 96 arrest of Ted Kaczynski, otherwise this might only register as a THEO, SEE A NAME possibility with nothing further. Dare I say the greatest CLUE ever recovered in ZODIAC HISTORY? ... (ZCAK NY IKS) (996666330). Are you kidding me? Okay, I am compelled and as I said it's the correct way to say it is entirely possible that that pattern of letters and numbers fit around the 4 letters THEO is coincidence. As well as the BOMBS that cuts diagonally thru it. And, of course, the SEE A NAME that directly follows it in straight text among all the jumble around it. And, also, we would have to consider the coincidence involved with the connected unknown 18 and the 0,3,6,9 that produces the name Theodore J. Kaczynski, the only name I have yet to find out of roughly 500 tries that fits the system. But also with that, you can establish the combo of letters that won't work and so it's not all about plugging in names, analysis also reveals the difficulty. The jumbled nature of the cipher certainly allowed the cipher maker easier access to producing hidden messages and it also made the cipher much more difficult to solve as, arguably, there was much more at stake with this one.
KITE

Postby KITE on Sun May 10, 2009 2:54 pm

There's another excellent cryptic, at least in my opinion. It involves the last 7 lines of the 340 solution, but I won't write it out as it's easy to explain. The second LAKE (EAKL), start with that K and simply read down to the end. You have KEELOSE. Side by side with the LOSE is TILL. 4 rows to the left of that is LEASH reading down the last 5 in the same fashion as KEELOSE and TILL. You have KEEL and LOSE sharing the same L, but it's a pretty clear and compact reading of KEEL TILL LOSE LEASH. Now if I'm not mistaken on this, Kaczynski wrote a short story that involved a ship keeling, as the sailors were blinding by triviality with technology looming as the iceberg not paid attention to. In my opinion, from what I've read, Kaczynski may have paralleled technology and women, perhaps both can't be trusted by man. Zodiac spelled WOMAN as WOEMAN, I believe a word game for WOE is MAN equals a WOMAN. Kaczynski, if I'm not mistaken, sarcasticly offered to buy a leash for someone, suggesting that that person was too trusting, falling under the spell of a woman. KEEL TILL LOSE LEASH could be saying man will KEEL TILL he LOSEs the LEASH of technology or maybe here he means woman, since it's 1969. Keep in mind that KEEL works off the word LAKE and that SALTIE, (a Great Lake vessel) runs diagnolly thru it. This is similar to BOMB working off BLAST and BOMBS running diagnolly thru that. Something else I meant to mention, was that the November 1969 card that went with the cipher mentions....bad NEWS...you won't get the NEWS for a while yet.... Perhaps this is a leap, but N E W S would go along the Zodiac symbol in the place of the 0 3 6 9. So that could be a clue to the amazing THEO cryptic and the use of 0,3,6,9.
KITE

Postby akwilks on Sun May 10, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks Kite. I am trying to get the first 15 lines of my 340 decode up here. Interested to see what you think of that when it is up; also, if you get a chance, what do you think of the poem sent in by the East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker, and the possible code therein and literary references to a secret home in the woods?

I agree it is extraordinary that, right before "see a name", we have "Theo", and the nine letter decode of "Kaczynski". It is very, very hard to write that off as coincidence, indeed!

What is more incredible is this. A cynic might say, "Well, Kite, Doug and AK, they see Kaczynski arrested as the Unabomber, they think he could be the Zodiac, and so, intentionally or even unintentionally, they force some solutions to come up with "Theo Kaczynski" in their decodes." That criticism will just not work here! This is about 95% the Graysmith solution that APPEARS IN THE 1978 FBI FILE. That was some 18 years before the world heard of Mr. Kaczynski. And Mr. Graysmith, then and now, strongly favors Arthur Leigh Allen as a suspect. Mr. Graysmith also makes no claim of a Caesar Code 0-3-6-9 solution. So to have this first stage code solution from 1978, and see "Theo" then "See a name", and with the 0-3-6-9 decode to get "Kaczynski", is quite remarkable. And believe me, I did not set out to prove Mr. Graysmith right about anything. I thought his forced second stage solution was incorrect, and assumed his first stage was probably wrong as well, but thought I would examine it before making a conclusion. With a very few changes made by you (and perhaps Obiwan), and a very few changes made by me, it seems it was largely correct.

Now the last five lines do get tricky, either Graysmith got more wrong there, or, as I think, Z introduced some new elements to make it more difficult. I think I almost have them figured out, but it needs some work.

But when you look at the totality of the code solutions, the same name appearing in all codes, me, you and Doug proving TJK used the Caesar Code 0-3-6-9 system on his Enoch W Fischer alias and secret 9 digit number, the evidence starts to become very strong.
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Sun May 10, 2009 3:34 pm

I will have to study your possible cryptic find, but it looks interesting.

If you get bored, you may want to log on to the bystander board, and tell them how you have tried to find 500 names and can't. I have got some very positive comments, publicly and privately, on my decodes, including some from some well known researchers, but others still resist them. Not that I care that much, I am confident our work will be validated by the FBI at some point, but the debate is interesting and I am trying to build momentum.
akwilks

Postby AweShucks on Sun May 10, 2009 8:20 pm

The work being done here on these unsolved codes is by far the most interesting work I have seen in years. I've seen a lot of possible solutions and most were obvious garbage. The only thing that keeps me skeptical is the whole anagram idea. But having Kaczynski decode into the mix makes me really wonder how close you guys really are? Just splendid work keep it up! :D
AweShucks

Next

Return to The Zodiac Case