Zodiac 340 Code Partial Solution & Caesar Code Analysis

Re: Zodiac 340 Code Partial Solution & Caesar Code Analysis

Postby akwilks on Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:41 pm

On http://www.zodiackillersite.com a poster named QUICKTRADER announced the following:

ZODIAC 340 PARTIALLY SOLVED ;)...

..but only partially. Here we got some solid statistic out of 3.2 MILLION letters..

http://tigger.uic.edu/~jleon/mcs425-s06 ... r_freq.pdf

Letters Frequency
(per 10,000 letters)

aa 1
bb 1
cc 4
dd 13
ee 48
ff 11
gg 4
hh 6
ii 1
jj 0
kk 0
ll 56
mm 5
nn 8
oo 36
pp 10
qq 0
rr 14
ss 43
tt 56
uu 0
vv 0
ww 2
xx 0
yy 2
zz 0

Frequency of Double Letters in English Language Text

This data was obtained from seven English-language novels, containing a total of about 3.2 million
letters. Upper case letters were converted to lower case, and non-letters were ignored.
Ignoring blanks somewhat reduces the usefulness of this data. The count for a pair, say yy , includes
cases where one word ends with a y and the next word begins with a y .

indicating that the TT and LL combination is the most frequent one in english language. The '++' overall occurs three times in the 340 cipher, therefore - extrapolated to 10,000 - this is equal to a frequency of 88 per 10,000 letters. This is indicating that '+' is either representing the letter 'L' or the letter 'T', all this assuming a similar cipher method like the 408.

Selecting the usage of letters in the Zodiac letters (I took wikisource, copy paste, delete blanks) leads to an overall of approximately 16,602 letters Z had used. Among those, Z had used 'TT' about 61 times per 10,000 letters and 'LL' about 113 times per 10,000 letters. Both is 'similarly close' to the frequency (88 per 10,000) of '++' in the cipher. The letter 'EE' only occurs 41 times per 10,000 letters and therefore, like the other letters, might be ruled out. Even 'LL' and 'TT' should (statistically) occur only 56 times per 10,000, but in fact Z had used the '++' 88 times per 10,000, therefore 57% more often than expected.

So which one is representing the '+' symbol, the letter 'L' or the letter 'T'? We now must assume as there are two possibilities: '+' solely representing one letter or '+' being part of a sequence with more symbols representing one letter. I now make a bet: The '+' occurs about 7% in the 340 and we do know, from the 408, that in fact there have been letters being represented by single symbols as well as by sequences of symbols. So I just bet that the '+' is representing one letter without any other symbols representing it. If I loose my bet, the '+' should for sure represent the letter 'T'.

But I do bet otherwise, which is why I have a closer look on another statistic: How often does the '+' (not the '++') occur in the cipher? 24 times, which is about 7.06%. In any english text, the letter 'T' should occur about 9.25. Therefore '+' is being ruled out for two reasons: 'T' would occur quite seldom compared to a normal statistic text AND do we know that Z had used the '++' specifically more often (+57%) than any double letter combination normally would be.

But what about the letter 'L'? This should occcur about 4.14% in any english text (and is conform with the double letter frequency mentioned above). Combining this with our knowledge (!) that Z had used the double letter '++' about 57% more often than a normal english text would do (88 times vs. 56 times, based on 3,2m letters).

We do take this for granted and take the standard 'L' frequency and combine it with the fact that Z had used the '++' 57% (!) more frequently than any double letter would be expected to be used.

4.14 x 1.57 = 6.50%

Delivering us the expected frequency of the letter 'L' in Z's cipher text, this of course under the side condition that the double letter has been used 57% more often than normal.

In fact the '+' occurs 24 times in the cipher text, therefore with a frequency of 7.06%. Comparing those two figures, we end up with 7.06/6.50 = 1,09 telling me some things:

A.) Z had used a double letter combination 57% more often than expected (statistically significant)
B.) 'LL' and 'TT' are the only double letter combinations which therefore are potential candidates for '++'
C.) Considering A.) the only matching letter is 'L' because 'T' would lead to a frequency of 14.5% (9.25%x1.57) which is not suitable to the frequency of '+' (7.06%)
D.) Suitable in fact is the frequency of '+' (7.06%) compared to the frequency of 'L', still under the side condition of a more frequent double letter usage (6.50%).
E.) According to this, Z has used the letter 'L' only 1.09 times more often than a normal English text would do (9% deviation, which should absolutely be ok for a frequency of letters).
F.) All this considered under the assumption that '+' is solely representing one alphabetical letter.

So if my bet is right, '+' is representing the letter 'L'.

http://scottbryce.com/cryptograms/stats.htm

AK WILKS: I think this is a very convincing statistical analysis that confirms what Kite and myself have been saying for years about Graysmith probably being correct when he translates the "+" symbol in the Zodiac 340 as a "L".

Quicktrader's statistical analysis is good and provides a convincing reason to have the + be an L. GLURK notes that while a general statistical analysis is good any individual, such as the Zodiac, may differ. But also look at words Zodiac used frequently - kill, killing, thrilling, shall, will.

I also think at least two other parts of the Graysmith attempt are definitely correct - the end of the 3rd line and 4th line SEE A NAME - here is what you get plugging those in.

akwilks

Postby akwilks on Wed Sep 11, 2013 11:24 am

GLURK made an interesting observation about my post expanding on QUICKTRADER'S analysis at http://www.zodiackillersite.com :

The image you posted above has both the + sign AND the 'zodiac' sign assigned as the letter L.

33 of them, in a 340 char. message. 9.71% of the message. What the L?

-glurk

AK WILKS: I think this is the key part of QT's post(emphasis added):

Selecting the usage of letters in the Zodiac letters (I took wikisource, copy paste, delete blanks) leads to an overall of approximately 16,602 letters Z had used. Among those, Z had used 'TT' about 61 times per 10,000 letters and 'LL' about 113 times per 10,000 letters. Both is 'similarly close' to the frequency (88 per 10,000) of '++' in the cipher. The letter 'EE' only occurs 41 times per 10,000 letters and therefore, like the other letters, might be ruled out. Even 'LL' and 'TT' should (statistically) occur only 56 times per 10,000, but in fact Z had used the '++' 88 times per 10,000, therefore 57% more often than expected.

But I do bet otherwise, which is why I have a closer look on another statistic: How often does the '+' (not the '++') occur in the cipher? 24 times, which is about 7.06%. In any english text, the letter 'T' should occur about 9.25. Therefore '+' is being ruled out for two reasons: 'T' would occur quite seldom compared to a normal statistic text AND do we know that Z had used the '++' specifically more often (+57%) than any double letter combination normally would be.

But what about the letter 'L'? This should occcur about 4.14% in any english text (and is conform with the double letter frequency mentioned above). Combining this with our knowledge (!) that Z had used the double letter '++' about 57% more often than a normal english text would do (88 times vs. 56 times, based on 3,2m letters).

We do take this for granted and take the standard 'L' frequency and combine it with the fact that Z had used the '++' 57% (!) more frequently than any double letter would be expected to be used.

4.14 x 1.57 = 6.50%

Delivering us the expected frequency of the letter 'L' in Z's cipher text, this of course under the side condition that the double letter has been used 57% more often than normal.

In fact the '+' occurs 24 times in the cipher text, therefore with a frequency of 7.06%. Comparing those two figures, we end up with 7.06/6.50 = 1,09 telling me some things:

A.) Z had used a double letter combination 57% more often than expected (statistically significant)
B.) 'LL' and 'TT' are the only double letter combinations which therefore are potential candidates for '++'
C.) Considering A.) the only matching letter is 'L' because 'T' would lead to a frequency of 14.5% (9.25%x1.57) which is not suitable to the frequency of '+' (7.06%)
D.) Suitable in fact is the frequency of '+' (7.06%) compared to the frequency of 'L', still under the side condition of a more frequent double letter usage (6.50%).
E.) According to this, Z has used the letter 'L' only 1.09 times more often than a normal English text would do (9% deviation, which should absolutely be ok for a frequency of letters).
F.) All this considered under the assumption that '+' is solely representing one alphabetical letter.

AK WILKS: Do you disagree with his work, or his conclusions?

In the second cipher I posted I have some aside from the +=L, I also have some debatable word solves from the 3rd and 4th lines. Given how often Zodiac used words with LL or L, I think the numbers are not out of line, in fact they make sense - kill, killing, thrilling, collecting, shall, will, all, like, people, wild, girl, slaves, slow, animal, afterlife.

Maybe someone - or me - can count the total letters in the 408 and total appearance of "L" and see where that gets us. Or maybe QT has the statistic for total use of L as a single or double in all of the Zodiac letters.

By my rough quick count, the letter "L" appears 33 times in the 408 code. About 8.1% of the letters are "L", which is about double normal usage, as it happens that many words Z liked to use have either L or LL in them. So if Z used "L" 8.1% of the time in the 408, it seems to me that 9.7% use in the 340 code is within normal deviation, really only two more uses of a word like kill, killing, collecting, etc., would do it. And if we strike the untranslated last 18, leaving us 390 translated letters, the 33 uses of "L" amount to 8.5%, which is even closer to my proposed 9.7%. in the 340 code

I think the major find of QT is that he lays out a solid statistical reason to translate the + as an L, at least as a starting working hypothesis. If he is right, he has solved one character in the 340, which is something that nobody, FBI, police, amateurs, has yet done.

Glurk do you agree he lays out a good reason to at least consider the ++ as LL?
akwilks

Postby KITE on Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:06 pm

In my opinion, the Graysmith solution is valid. The straight text uses jumbled words and, in my opinion, was compromised so that Zodiac could include hidden messages, whether vetical, diagonal, or otherwise. For example, the straight text reading of "SEE A NAME BELOW KILLLEERS FILM". I believe that resulted from SEE A NAME being used to follow THEO and the broken Caesar shifted reading of KACZYNSKI from Line 3. The word BELOW with one of the L's fronm the next word was used so that BELLOW and BLAST are connected to the letter B's in the diagonal BOMB. The letter M from the word FILM is the M in the diagonal BOMB. The stretched-out misspelling of KILLLEERS allows the use of that letter M in BOMB. Speaking of how BELLOW and BLAST are connected to BOMB:

.....................BWEOLL
...................M
..................O
.........ALSTB

Those letters: (ALSTBOMBWEOLL) add up to a numbers-for-letters of 151 matching the word REVOLUTION. Consider how the numbers-for-letters in the Ted Kaczynski name and revolution(151) add up to the degrees of a circle(90,180,270,360):

THEODORE=90
TED(29)+REVOLUTION(151)=180
KACZYNSKI(119)+REVOLUTION(151)=270
THEODORE KACZYNSKI(209)+REVOLUTION(151)=360

That's absolutely amazing! but additionally consider that the name origin of KACZYNSKI might also be relatable to the word revolution?
KITE

Postby KITE on Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:07 pm

I haven't really ever got comprehensive about analyzing the symbols and such. I first read about the Zodiac case and the 340 cipher in 1991 and was of the opinion, straight away, the solution was correct and I haven't wavered on that. The opposite, actually, after finds like BELLOW and BLAST working off the B's in a diagonal BOMB, for example. Just like in 1996 and first reading about Ted Kaczynski. I was of the opinion he was a strong Zodiac suspect and haven't wavered on that. The opposite. As far as analyzing the symbols, I would say how the symbol (F= P or H) is very interesting. There aren't that many symbols that equal 2 letters in the 340 cipher solution, K=K or S, is the only one I can think of right now. It might be the only other one? So, with a very limited straying away of one symbol equals one letter, what are the odds that F=P or H(the idea of the F and PH sound being the same) would result(along with a readable straight text, of course).

Something else I have to mention about the 340 cipher solution is the opening line: HERCEANB: I Give Them Hell Too.
I believe Zodiac was playing his own last name word game with Caen sounding like Cain and the possible association of raising Cain and raising hell. And, again, according to the 340 cipher solution, what words did Zodiac use?
I GIVE THEM HELL TOO.
If he was playing a last name word game as I suggested, by using TOO, does that mean he has a last name similar to Caen or perhaps CAIN? What about KACZYNSKI? Yes, there is a CAIN in there, after all!
K (A) (C) Z Y (N) S K (I)= KZYSK (CAIN)
I Give Them Hell, (TOO).
Did the real Zodiac know of Ted Kaczynski?
KITE

Postby akwilks on Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:11 am

Also in the My Name Is Code you have the letters for KANE...A reference to Citizen Kane, based on Hearst who owned the SF Examiner? Or as you point out, maybe the Biblical CAIN, who killed his brother, with the letters C, A, I and N all present in KACZYNSKI?

The study by QT confirms what we have long said, that the + is an L.

And as Doranchak noted at http://www.zodiackillerciphers.com , a recent study by code expert Professor Knight at USC showed that unlike the 408 which shows a strong tendency towards traditional left to right bigrams, the 340 shows no particular bias, in fact there are more bigrams in a north east diagonal read. This could mean encoded words appear left to right, diagonally and vertically.

In the Graysmith-Kite-Wilks proposed solution to the 340 there are words that appear in a northeast diagonal read, like LIST and BOMBS, and vertically, like DUEL, BARS, LEASH.

akwilks

Postby KITE on Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:23 pm

The 340 cipher solution-it's discovery or recovery, in my opinion, required a dogged and determined effort but I had nothing to do with it, obviously, except to help to look for possibly hidden messages in the diagonal and otherwise. And, in my opinion, there have been TWO COLOSSAL FINDS within the 340 cipher:

ONE: The LINE 3 THEO SEE NAME with the Caesar shifted (ZCAK NY IKS).
TWO: BELLOW and BLAST attached to the B's in the diagonal BOMB.

The 340 cipher solution, if I'm not mistaken, uses F=PH and K=KS and perhaps the right leaning slash as equalling A or C(it's only used three times) and everything else is one symbol for one letter. This is how I interpret the unraveling of words in the 340 cipher:

(HERCEANB) (I) (GIVE) (THEM) (HELL) (TOO). (BTSAL) (TESEH) (LSEI) (LUEHST) (HEOLHS) (SEE) (A) (NAME) (BWEOL) (LRKESEILL) (LFMI). (A) (PILLS) (GAEM). (RNPAOD) (EM) (AGPCET) (TO) (ALSTB) (NE). (USHBLLEI) (THESE) (FOOLS) (SHALL) (EEMT) (ILKLER). (EPLSA) (ASK) (DLAUBLN), (SLOE) (AT) (H) (LSD) (UL) (RCALE) (IT) (ALEK) (TI). (SO) (ETARS) (I) (EAT) (A) (ILLLPL) (AESSOLH). (I) (APLTN) (MR) (AH) (PHNEA) (EAKL) (B) (ALLLSLSVE) (ESEAECBU) (EADL) (ILWLL) (STOENLE) (EITHER). (TLEAEAT). (LHASL) (I) (HELL) (HSALS) (IOSHTC) (THE) (IPG) (M) (STALLS) (AO) (LEDA) (C) (ITHHEG) (SLEO) (M) (AISNL).

I have no problem with that how it is and I feel it's not broken and I aint gonna try to fix it. It seems as if toward the end, random letters are thrown in so as to fill in, to complete the 340. In my opinon, the 340 cipher is essentially a more comprehensive effort at what was done in the 3-part cipher with both using the straight text to more importantly hide messages:

408 CIPHER: Between Lines FIVE and TEN, in downward verticals are the words: WAVE,TIDE,BELL,DEMISE,HEAL. With perhaps some literary allusion involved, those lines might refer to the looming threat facing society, as Zodiac may see it.
340 CIPHER: Between Lines FIVE and TEN, in downward verticals are the words: KEPT IN BARS TILL ATAK LOSE LEASH. Perhaps the 408 cipher was about using words referring to a looming threat and the 340 cipher were follow-up words lecturing about how society must deal with the looming threat, that the leash and bars(restraints) must be attacked and lost so that society isn't enslaved, as Zodiac may see it. So, perhaps the ciphers were linked in that way.

408 CIPHER: EBEORIETEMETHHPITI can be (0,3,6,9 Caesar shifted) to Theodore J. Kaczynski with a (0,3,3,6,9,6,3,3) (6,6,9,9,6,6,9,9,6,0) number string.
340 CIPHER: The 3rd Line has THEO. The letters around it can be (0,3,6,9) Caesar shifted with the result of:
ZCAK NY THEO IKS with a (996666033) number string for KACZYNSKI. (SEE A NAME follows this).

408 CIPHER: As far as I've noticed, there doesn't seem to be significant diagonal word potential.
340 CIPHER: In my opinion, there are significant diagonal words: BOMB,FNDI,EA POE(because with these words close to a vertical SEAT and possibly a right angle reading of MAGPIES, literary allusion is a possibility)(And perhaps the 408 and 340 both have the commonality of alluding to a short story with their respective hidden words). But that's why I say the 340 cipher, in my opinion, was a more comprehensive follow-up to the 408. I believe it was too difficult to hide both vertical AND diagonal words in a text without jumbled words like the 408 cipher lacked. The 340 cipher solution, on the other hand, uses jumbled words allowing much more potential for both vertical and diagonal hidden words or otherwise. The 340 cipher solution uses extra letters also, especially the letter L. This makes it more difficult to solve, in my opinion, and also allows the stretching out of words(or not) making it easier to have and hide vertical and diagonal words while still maintaining a readable and thus solvable straight text.
Last edited by KITE on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
KITE

Postby KITE on Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:45 am

I just now stumbled across what might be THE GREATEST, most COLOSSAL KACZYNSKI cryptic ever recovered from a Zodiac cipher or communication. (Did the real Zodiac know of Ted Kaczynski?) It concerns the 340 cipher and something that's already been brought up before. In the 340 cipher, the last 18 symbols that are letters or letter-symbols, let's call them, are:
BYOBCCMDHNPKSZOAIK

These letters, in anagram, read:
KACZYNSKI BOMB CDHPO

In my opinion, that's already pretty amazing that 13 of the 18 are KACZYNSKI BOMB, considering how the last line uses more letter-symbols than any other line and also the timing of Zodiac making bomb threats. In other words, for example, to get KACZYNSKI BOMB out of starting at the beginning of the 340 cipher, give me a second-I'm doing this now. I think it would be Line 9, where the first letter symbol A is used to finally have KACZYNSKI BOMB. But that's what I mean, the symbol A and Z aren't used much, 3 and 4 times each, or something like that. So, in and of itself, it's quite amazing, in my opinion. But what I just now(15 minutes ago)thought of doing was seeing what the 5 letter-symbols decode to. In other words, 13 out of 18 letter-symbols are KACZYNSKI BOMB, and so the remaining 5 letter-symbols CDHPO, I separated and then translated to the letter they decode to. But, first consider there are 2 letter-symbol C's. One is a backward C and one a regular C.
SO, HERE'S WHAT I DID. I PUT THE REGULAR LETTER-SYMBOL C WITH THE KA(C)ZYNSKI BOMB part.
THAT MEANS THE BACKWARD LETTER SYMBOL C WAS PART OF THE 5 LETTER-SYMBOLS NOT FOUND IN KACZYNSKI BOMB:
SO, IN OTHER WORDS THERE IS A CHOICE OF TWO C'S
CDHPO- (I REPEAT THAT C IS THE LETTER-SYMBOL BACKWARD C)
GUESS WHAT? THE BACKWARD C DOESN'T TRANSLATE INTO ANYTHING. IT'S BLANK. IT'S THE ONLY SYMBOL THAT MEANS NOTHING ACCORDING TO THE 340 CIPHER SOLUTION.
GUESS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THOSE 5 ARE TRANSLATED TO THE LETTER THEY DECODE TO?(OF COURSE WITH THE BACKWARD C MEANING NOTHING, THE RESULT IS 4)

C=NOTHING
D=T
H=H
P=E (it's a backward P)
O=O

THAT'S RIGHT! THEY DECODE TO THEO!
THEO! THEO! THEO! WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF THAT. IF I MADE A MISTAKE I'M SORRY. I TRIED. BUT UNLESS I CAN BE CORRECTED, THE WAY I SEE IT IS THAT THE FINAL 18 LETTER-SYMBOLS OF THE 340 CIPHER ARE:

KACZYNSKI BOMB CDHPO

AND THEN WHEN DECODING THE REMAINING 5(CDHPO) THAT AREN'T FOUND IN THE 13 OF KACZYNSKI BOMB, CDHPO=(*)(T)(H)(E)(O).
THEO is even found in order.
Here's another way of looking at the final 18 with the 5 not found in KACZYNSKI BOMB placed in parenthesis.

BYOBC(C)M(D)(H)N(P)KSZ(O)AIK...(The letter-symbol C and P in parenthesis are backwards).

Now, I'll just decode those 5 and keep them in parenthesis and of course that letter-symbol C means nothing.

BYOBC(*)M(T)(H)N(E)KSZ(O)AIK

Unless I'm mistaken the result is (T)(H)(E)(O) KACZYNSKI BOMB.

Did I make a mistake or else is this the most COLOSSAL KACZYNSKI CRYPTIC ever unearthed in a Zodiac communication?

Did I make a mistake or am I the Appalachian with the Applaudable and Aptly Applicable Apparitonal Appellation?

The Prodigy with the Peculiar Powers of Observation Owing of an Ovation?

Did I make a mistake or I am the Man with the Mystery-Mastering Moniker and Marvelously Magnetic Mental Might?

Do I not shine in the dark or am I THE BRIGHT LIGHT IN A COLD CASE NIGHT?
KITE

Postby akwilks on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:05 pm

KITE wrote:I just now stumbled across what might be THE GREATEST, most COLOSSAL KACZYNSKI cryptic ever recovered from a Zodiac cipher or communication. (Did the real Zodiac know of Ted Kaczynski?) It concerns the 340 cipher and something that's already been brought up before. In the 340 cipher, the last 18 symbols that are letters or letter-symbols, let's call them, are:
BYOBCCMDHNPKSZOAIK

These letters, in anagram, read:
KACZYNSKI BOMB CDHPO

In my opinion, that's already pretty amazing that 13 of the 18 are KACZYNSKI BOMB, considering how the last line uses more letter-symbols than any other line and also the timing of Zodiac making bomb threats. In other words, for example, to get KACZYNSKI BOMB out of starting at the beginning of the 340 cipher, give me a second-I'm doing this now. I think it would be Line 9, where the first letter symbol A is used to finally have KACZYNSKI BOMB. But that's what I mean, the symbol A and Z aren't used much, 3 and 4 times each, or something like that. So, in and of itself, it's quite amazing, in my opinion. But what I just now(15 minutes ago)thought of doing was seeing what the 5 letter-symbols decode to. In other words, 13 out of 18 letter-symbols are KACZYNSKI BOMB, and so the remaining 5 letter-symbols CDHPO, I separated and then translated to the letter they decode to. But, first consider there are 2 letter-symbol C's. One is a backward C and one a regular C.
SO, HERE'S WHAT I DID. I PUT THE REGULAR LETTER-SYMBOL C WITH THE KA(C)ZYNSKI BOMB part.
THAT MEANS THE BACKWARD LETTER SYMBOL C WAS PART OF THE 5 LETTER-SYMBOLS NOT FOUND IN KACZYNSKI BOMB:
SO, IN OTHER WORDS THERE IS A CHOICE OF TWO C'S
CDHPO- (I REPEAT THAT C IS THE LETTER-SYMBOL BACKWARD C)
GUESS WHAT? THE BACKWARD C DOESN'T TRANSLATE INTO ANYTHING. IT'S BLANK. IT'S THE ONLY SYMBOL THAT MEANS NOTHING ACCORDING TO THE 340 CIPHER SOLUTION.
GUESS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THOSE 5 ARE TRANSLATED TO THE LETTER THEY DECODE TO?(OF COURSE WITH THE BACKWARD C MEANING NOTHING, THE RESULT IS 4)

C=NOTHING
D=T
H=H
P=E (it's a backward P)
O=O

THAT'S RIGHT! THEY DECODE TO THEO!
THEO! THEO! THEO! WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF THAT. IF I MADE A MISTAKE I'M SORRY. I TRIED. BUT UNLESS I CAN BE CORRECTED, THE WAY I SEE IT IS THAT THE FINAL 18 LETTER-SYMBOLS OF THE 340 CIPHER ARE:

KACZYNSKI BOMB CDHPO

AND THEN WHEN DECODING THE REMAINING 5(CDHPO) THAT AREN'T FOUND IN THE 13 OF KACZYNSKI BOMB, CDHPO=(*)(T)(H)(E)(O).
THEO is even found in order.
Here's another way of looking at the final 18 with the 5 not found in KACZYNSKI BOMB placed in parenthesis.

BYOBC(C)M(D)(H)N(P)KSZ(O)AIK...(The letter-symbol C and P in parenthesis are backwards).

Now, I'll just decode those 5 and keep them in parenthesis and of course that letter-symbol C means nothing.

BYOBC(*)M(T)(H)N(E)KSZ(O)AIK

Unless I'm mistaken the result is (T)(H)(E)(O) KACZYNSKI BOMB.

Did I make a mistake or else is this the most COLOSSAL KACZYNSKI CRYPTIC ever unearthed in a Zodiac communication?

Did I make a mistake or am I the Appalachian with the Applaudable and Aptly Applicable Apparitonal Appellation?

The Prodigy with the Peculiar Powers of Observation Owing of an Ovation?

Did I make a mistake or I am the Man with the Mystery-Mastering Moniker and Marvelously Magnetic Mental Might?

Do I not shine in the dark or am I THE BRIGHT LIGHT IN A COLD CASE NIGHT?

Amazing!

THEO

KACZYNSKI

BOMB

akwilks

Postby KITE on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:39 am

Thanks AK, although I would qualify my accepting individual praise by saying that the Kaczynski-Bomb cryptic recoveries have been quite an amazing combined effort, in my opinion. Perhaps in totality it could be called:

WILKS-KITE(Kaczynski and Bomb in the 340 Cipher).

(Did the real Zodiac know of Ted Kaczynski?)

There is, in my opinon, an amazing amount of cryptic recovery found in the 340 cipher concerning the (Ted Kaczynski name) and the word (BOMB) and the associated word (BLAST).

LINE 1 and LINE 2: (BIG) and (BLAST) found:

...BIG
...BTSAL

(BLAST) is used in 340 cipher as (BLAST THESE LIES).

(BLAST THESE LIES) leads right to the next cryptic recovery. After a no-meaning symbol backward C is: (ILUEHSTHEOLHS). That results in an amazing and colossal (0,3,6,9) Caesar shift to THEO KACZYNSKI:
ILUEHS=(ZCAKNY)=(996666) *THEO* LHS=(IKS) (330). The number string ends up as the patterned (996666330). This is followed by:

(SEE A NAME BWEOLL).

There are 3 reasons for (SEE A NAME BWEOLL), in my opinion.

ONE: To flash (SEE A NAME) right after (THEO) (and remember the straight text is altered right where (THEO) is found).

TWO: (SEE A NAME BELOW) after (THEO) is a clue, in my opinion, to the amazing and colossal (THEO KACZYNSKI BOMB) cryptic recovery found closing out the 340 cipher(To be explained below).

THREE: It's (SEE A NAME) and keep going it's (SEE A NAME BELOW) and keep going it's also (SEE A NAME BELLOW). BELLOW is found working off the letter B in a diagonal reading of (BOMB). When looking at the other letter (B) in (BOMB), that lower (B) is part of the word (BLAST). So, in other words, the diagonal word (BOMB) has horizontal (BELLOW) and (BLAST) off the letter (B's) and this could be quite significant as what I believe is a Mikado allusion by Zodiac. The finding of a same direction diagonal (LIST) before (BOMB) makes the allusion even more convincing as a possibilty.

The next possible cryptic recovery, in my opinon, could be overlooked amongst the other colossally amazing cryptic recoveries. It's found on Line ELEVEN and it's the last 7 symbols of that line, and all are letter-symbols(symbols that are letters):
(BPBTMKO). That is (BOMB) and (PTK). (B)P(B)T(M)K(O).
(PTK) could stand for Professor Ted Kaczynski?

The last possibility is the last 18 symbol-letters used in the 340 cipher.:

(BYOBCCMDHNPKSZOAIK).

13 of the 18 are (KACZYNSKI BOMB).
When decoding the 5 symbols NOT FOUND(CDHPO) in (KACZYNSKI BOMB), they decode to:

C=no meaning
D=T
H=H
P=E
O=O

This results in an amazing and colossal possible cryptic recovery: (THEO KACZYNSKI BOMB).
KITE

Postby akwilks on Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:05 am

AK WILKS: You continue to skip over your (Quicktrader) correct original study and the fact that Zodiac had a particular personal vocabulary, which used "L" and "LL" much more than the average person.

Glurk's study shows that TT, LL, SS and EE are the most used in English writing, with LL being the second most used.

So off the bat we have reason to consider ++ as LL.

In the first Zodiac Code he used "S" 24 times. Only once was there a "SS", and that happened in the phrase "it iS So much fun". Zodiac neved used a word that has "SS" in it, not once. Compare that to the number of words he used in the first code that had "LL" - SEVEN different words! And they are words we might think it is likely he also used in the 340 code. They were:

kill,

killing,

thrilling,

collecting,

shall,

will,

all.

Zodiac also used these words with a single "L". - like, people, wild, girl, slaves, slow, animal, afterlife.

By my rough quick count, the letter "L" appears 33 times in the 408 code. About 8.1% of the letters are "L", which is about double normal usage, as it happens that many words Z liked to use have either L or LL in them. So if Z used "L" 8.1% of the time in the 408, it seems to me that 9.7% use in the 340 code is within normal deviation, really only two more uses of a word like kill, killing, collecting, etc., would do it. And if we strike the untranslated last 18, leaving us 390 translated letters, the 33 uses of "L" amount to 8.5%, which is even closer to my proposed 9.7%. in the 340 code.

GLURK: I've done a small bit of work on this, and I'm going to have to say that as far as Zodiac's use of the doubled letter "L," he did in fact use it a lot.
More than would be expected in normal writing. Even in words that, properly spelled, would not have the letter doubled.

I did not do exact word counts, sorry, but in a quick study I've found:

ALL, ALLREADY
AWFULLY
BILLIARD
BILLOWY
BULLET
BULLSHIT
CALLED
CELLING
COLLECT, COLLECTING
CONTINUALLY
FILLING
FULL
HELL
HILL, HILLS
HOLLY
KILL, KILLED, KILLER, KILLING
PULLED
REALLY
ROLLED
SHALL
SMALL
SQUEALLING
TELL, TELLING
THRILLING
TITWILLO
UNTILL
VALLEJO
WACHAMACALLIT
WALL
WELL
WILL

This should be all of them, I think, unless I missed something... :roll: I probably did miss something... :oops:
I don't, however, believe that the 340 is simply a homophonic cipher like the 408. But I also don't have any doubt at all that Zodiac often used "LL" in his writings. He clearly used it more than would be expected.

DORANCHAK: Here are some others:

ALLEY (confession letter)
ALLEYS (confession letter)
ALLWAYS (1971-03-13-times)
BALL (confession letter)
BELLI (1969-12-20-melvin-envelope)
CALL (confession letter, 1969-11-09-chronicle, 1970-07-26-chronicle)
CELL (1970-07-26-chronicle)
FALL (1970-06-26-chronicle-cipher)
FELLOWS (1970-07-26-chronicle)
FOLLOWED (confession letter)
UNWILLING (desktop poem)
SPELL (1974-02-14-sla)
SPILLING (desktop poem)
WILLING (confession letter)
WILLINGLY (confession letter)
YOULL (1970-10-05)
akwilks

PreviousNext