"Sorry No Cipher" Secret Pal Halloween Card

"Sorry No Cipher" Secret Pal Halloween Card

Postby tomc on Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:10 pm

The Halloween "Secret Pal" card, sent Oct 27, 1970 to Paul Avery, had a number of items written in by Zodiac to embellish the card. The printed message read "I feel it in my bones you ache to know my name...And so I'll clue you in......But, then, why spoil the game! Happy Halloween".
Zodiac added "4-Teen", BOO!, peek-a-boo, You are busted! a "Z", a cross-hair symbol, and a symbol looking like a weather map wind and rain icon. On the inside of the envelope was a criss-cross phrase, in the shape of an "X", repeated twice, "Sorry No Cipher." On the back of the card was the vertical-horizontal "Paradice/Slaves" and in the 4 quadrants(top right, clockwise) "by gun, by rope, by knife, by fire".

I took the phrase from the inside, "Sorry No Cipher", and did a Caesar code check, thus:

S O R R Y N O C I P H E R
9 0 9 3 0 3 6 3 6 3 3 9 9
B O A O Y K I Z C S K N A

9 9 0 3 3 9 6 3 0 9 3 3 9
A B O O K A C Z Y N S K I

And Zodiac penned a large "BOO!" on the inside of the card. Again, genius.
tomc

Re: "Sorry No Cipher" Secret Pal Halloween Card

Postby KITE on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:18 pm

Very interesting Caesar shift, tomc. I'm beginning to believe that this Halloween Card is entirely laced with cryptic clues. And what better cryptic theme, Halloween. SECRET PAL itself is a nine letter word that Caesar shifts to KACZYNSKI. (SECRET PAL)>>>(YKZIKNSAC)>>>(663966309). But it shifts rather easily, so there are other number strings. And, since it reads on the card>>>(FROM your secret pal)....To me, that makes it more interesting to consider....From Secret Pal/From Kacznyski. (The idea that the real Zodiac misdirected by possibly using the name Ted Kaczynski). And then you have the arguably odd, arguably cryptic, symbol as the return to sender, is it? Return Address. I wonder about that symbol because you can perhaps see an F and a C in it. The F could be part of mountain range and the dotted C the rising sun. Sort of like saying that mountain men are always free, perhaps in symbol, symbolically. Turn it so that the dotted C is put in place like you'd read a C, and arguably it looks like an F drawn out of a Z with the dotted C remaining. And also consider that the return address has that symbol and also a Z under it. Are two people responsible for this Card, Z for Zodiac, and the symbol for the second person? Or could it mean that Zodiac is transitioning from Z to whatever that symbol means? Is there also a pun of sorts there that symbol is what's on the horizon? Or even, also, that Z is on the verge of moving to the mountains?
Last edited by KITE on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
KITE

Postby tomc on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:55 pm

Regarding the symbol, you may have hit the notion that he was transitioning: the I-F-C-Z shift.

On the rear of the card is the "PARADICE/SLAVES" cross, through the second "A" in "PARADICE". Looking at it, it gave me an idea, which follows.

Knowing that the use of the Caesar code shift in so many words and phrases, maybe this was another "puzzle" in the game. What I did was plot out the crossed words twice, then ran the 3-letter shift vertically on the word "SLAVES" and horizontally on the word "PARADICE." Then, I tried using the vertical columns, totalling 13, and see if anything could me made out.

SLAVES shifted vertically:

J-C-P-M-V-J
M-F-A-P-Y-M
P-I-R-S-B-P
S-L-A-V-E-S
V-O-D-Y-H-V
Y-R-I-B-K-Y
B-U-C-E-N-B
E-X-E-H-Q-E

PARADICE shifted horizontally:

G-J-M-P-S-V-Y
R-U-X-A-D-G-J
I-L-O-R-U-Y-A
_-S-L-A-V-E-S
U-X-A-D-G-J-M
Z-C-F-I-L-O-R
T-W-Z-C-F-I-L
V-Y-B-E-H-K-N

From SLAVES, E-I-D-Y-K-J.
From PARADICE, T-C-Z-A-S-K-N.

Forming, T-E-D-J-K-A-C-Z-Y-N-S-K-I. Another puzzle in the game, a "most dangerous game."
tomc

Postby tomc on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:59 pm

I forgot to add: It appears the reason PARADICE was spelled this way was to set up the shift correctly, because both the "T" and the "Z" letters come from the misspelling. A two-dimensional cross-word puzzle.
tomc

Postby akwilks on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Tomc and Kite - Interesting observations indeed. There may be a lot of clues on this Halloween Card, and some that relate to a Caesar 0-3-6-9 shift. The skeleton does hold up 3 fingers.

A poster named "Quagmire" stated : Surprised that no one has posted this before but I think a certain someone might have included clues hinting to a Caesar code in the 340 on the back of his halloween card:

R U D N Q B C Q N X U Q B
O R A .K N Y Z N K U R N Y
L O X .H K V W K H R O K V

I L U .E H S .T H E O L H S

F I R .B E P .Q E B L I E P
C F O Y B M .N B Y I F B M
Z C L .VY J .K Y V F C Y J

Look closely and you might be able to find FIRE, GUN, KNIFE and ROPE too ;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From AK:

Quag - Thats really interesting! I never noticed that or thought of that before.

So we have YET ANOTHER series of remarkable coincidences - that a Caesar Code matrix of a key line in the Zodiac 340 mirrors things later seen in the Zodiac Halloween card.

Perhaps this is just an odd coincidence.

But it is perhaps consistent with the sender of the Halloween card, who we know was Zodiac, having put these particular letters (which form THEO and then KACZYNSKI) into a Caesar Code 0-3-6-9 matrix, and seeing the result, noticing that "BY" appears four times, along with fire.

And "A..D", "K..N" and "I..F" on the card all are Caesar shifts of 3.

The distance between the "BY" 's is even similar, isn't it?

R U D N Q B C Q N X U Q B
O R A .K N Y Z N K U R N Y
L O X .H K V W K H R O K V

I L U .E H S .T H E O L H S

F I R .B E P .Q E B L I E P
C F O Y B M .N B Y I F B M
Z C L .VY J .K Y V F C Y J

Zodiac Halloween Card By Fire By Rope By Gun By Knife.jpg
Zodiac Halloween Card By Fire By Rope By Gun By Knife.jpg (66.16 KiB) Viewed 3584 times
akwilks

Postby akwilks on Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:52 pm

This shows how Ted Kaczynski could have used the 9 letters in his last name to encode it as the 9 letters in SECRET PAL, a card definitely sent by Zodiac in 1970 and probably also sent by Zodiac again in 1990.

This a Caesar Code Matrix with 0-3-6-9 values for the name KACZYNSKI.

T J L I H W B T R
Q G I F E T Y Q O
N D F C B Q V N L

K A C Z Y N S K I

H X Z W V K P H F
E U W T S HM E C
B R T Q P E J B Z

And we can see how he could have noticed that SECRET PAL can be encoded:

T J L I H W B T R
Q G I F E T Y Q O
N D F C B Q V N L

K A C Z Y N S K I

H X Z W V K P H F
E U W T S HM E C
B R T Q P E J B Z

E A L C S T P E R

S E C R E T P A L

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like KAC-ZYN-SKI itself, SEC-RET - PAL has 3 syllables of 3 words each. This shows the possible process a little clearer:

T J L I H W B T R
Q G I F E T Y Q O
N D F C B Q V N L

K A C Z Y N S K I

H X Z W V K P H F
E U W T S HM E C
B R T Q P E J B Z

E A L C S T P E R
S E C R E T P A L
akwilks

Postby KITE on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:14 pm

Very interesting Caesar shift possibilities. But why did Zodiac write SORRY NO CIPHER twice making it into the letter X? I've always thought that Zodiac must have had some reason for writing it twice to form a letter X, if that is correct? So, until recently, I haven't had an explanation for the forming of the letter X (unless there is a good explanation I'm unaware of) and I've been thinking it over lately as if to challenge my magnetic mind to find something. I did think of one thing. With the RR in so(RR)y, it made me think of a RailRoad sign with the X. (Railroad Crossing) compared to (Sorry No Cipher). In my opinion, they seem similar.
Compare (RR CROSSING) to (SORRYNOCIR).
SORRY NO CIPHER has a numbers-for-letters of 183. Railroad Crossing is 182.
Could Zodiac have been alluding to the railroads or trains by putting SORRY NO CIPHER into an X?
KITE

Return to The Zodiac Case